Author Topic: Achachairu seeds  (Read 16072 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Achachairu seeds
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »
Berto, thanks for the info. I didn't realize this fruit is being grown commercially in Brazil.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
Oscar,
You are welcome!
I heard that there is an achachairu  grower in the central part of the country (Goias) that is grafting achachairu into a native Brasilian garcinia/Rheedia with great success.  I have not been able to locate this grower, yet.  My understanding is that grafting garcinias/Rheedias is very tricky as far as long term survival of the grafted trees and  fruit production.
The grower in Recife told me that he preferred to grow them from seeds.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:11:35 PM by Berto »

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Oscar,
You are welcome!
I heard that there is an achachairu  grower in the central part of the country (Goias) that is grafting achachiru into a native Brasilian garcinia/Rheedia with great success.  I have not been able to locate this grower, yet.  My understanding is that grafting garcinias/Rheedias is very tricky as far as long term survival of the grafted trees and  fruit production.
The grower in Recife told me that he preferred to grow them from seeds.

A grower here grafts them now and then. He noted that they are easy as long as you graft rheedias to rheedia and garcinia to garcinia. Other way has low take. They can take quite a long time to heal though...

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Bmc and Oscar,
I found the outfit in Goias that grafts achachairu and reduce the fruiting time to three years.  Interesting, Goias is located in the "cerrado" region and the achachiru fruiting season there is shorter than the fruiting season in the Recife (northeast) area. 
http://floranogueira.com/portugues.php

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Bmc and Oscar,
I found the outfit in Goias that grafts achachairu and reduce the fruiting time to three years.  Interesting, Goias is located in the "cerrado" region and the achachiru fruiting season there is shorter than the fruiting season in the Recife (northeast) area. 
http://floranogueira.com/portugues.php

Thanks Berto for the link. Do you know, do they graft achachairu onto itself or do they use a different species of Rheedia?
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
I have read that they use a garcinia/rheedia that is native to the cerrado area.  Apparently, there is a garcinia/rheedia that does not produce edible fruits in the cerrado that is being used as a rootstock.  The achachairu trees that they are selling on their website do not seem to be grafted. 
I will keep looking into this subject.

Jen

• always learning
    • Australia, Brisbane - sub-tropical zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
My last post got lost in the reset, so I'll repeat it. I am also happy to send limited amounts of achachairu seeds if people would like to contact me. sanitarium I still have your details so will be in touch.

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Does anyone still have AU achacha seeds? :D
I'd like to buy or trade! :P
Thanks a lot ;)

tingkun

• Taoyuan County,Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »

I want to buy achacha seeds.
 ;D
[/quote]

worldpeace

• taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
hi~BMc

i need 200 seeds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »

The season is nearly over and I have seen some big ones around that are double seeded.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
Cultivator they are just the PBR ones and I presume some of their later fruiting trees have fruit a little larger.If you can get pictures of the Mossman ones it would be intersting to compare.Maybe they are another species or different form of the same species.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
4 or 10 years before fruiting is a big difference. I would like to know which fertilizers the ones that fruited in 4-5 years got. And how much sun at what age.

I 'm getting very excited to grow achacha's and i think i will grow many tree's to keep for myself.

does it make a difference if the tree grows in acid soil or neutral soil before it will fruit? Any info is welcome. I only know that they like lots of micro-nutrients, organic soil and lots of water. Grow first years in partial shade and after some (2-3-4-?) years in full sun.

Oh i see, also this thread is on the sell & trade page, i thought on the main page, there is much info here though.

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
Would like to buy some seeds if they is somone selling please let me know the cost plus shipping

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I would be interested in some too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk