Author Topic: Let's hear it for Central FL, Jabuticabeira central  (Read 15088 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Let's hear it for Central FL, Jabuticabeira central
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:15:34 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it for Central FL, Jabuticabeira central
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
Very nice looking tree, wish I had one that size right now.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
Very impressive looking tree...wow!!!  How fast does this tree grow compared to the regular Jab and the Hybrid red?

Wonder what I can trade to get a tree like that?  ;D
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
My beefness! How old that thing be?
Jeff  :-)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
That's a beast! The more you learn about those different jaboticabas the more you need one.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
This tree grows at the same rate as the regular M jaboticaba (sabara).

But I've noticed that it fruits as a smaller tree, after attaining a height of 4ft, and a caliper of 2inches.  It bears flowers on the small branches, as small as 1/2 cm...so maybe prune this one even less than I suggested in previous posts...this tree has only been pruned moderately at the very base, but never really pruned in the canopy..the tree is self pruning.

I believe Oscar will have seeds of this variety later this year, he may be the best way to get these seeds. ;)

I'm plum out of plants to distribute!  I have only 10, which are starting to flower this year for the first time...and I am saving them for my future jabo farm!!! :)

Very impressive looking tree...wow!!!  How fast does this tree grow compared to the regular Jab and the Hybrid red?

Wonder what I can trade to get a tree like that?  ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
Close to 25yrs old.  Maybe older...

Its truly a sight to behold...the typical ones at fruit and spice are larger, but not as striking.

The leaves are huge compared to typical types, and the branching habit is much more upright, and neat.

The usual sabarah seems to grow like a darn yaupon holly (illex vomitoria), or some shrub...unless you prune them like me :) ;)

My beefness! How old that thing be?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »
You are one of few people I'd give a big tree to!

Don't tell anyone! ;)

LOL

That's a beast! The more you learn about those different jaboticabas the more you need one.

Tomas
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Spirito santensis is brand new introduction to Hawaii, no mature trees that i know of yet. There are regular Sabara jaboticabas and Paulista jaboticabas in the 50-75 year old range planted around the island. For these types of trees that is still quite young. You can see below what these trees really look like at maturity. I estimate this tree to be 120+ years old. This photo was taken at Anestor's farm in Floranopolis in southern Brazil. Unfortunately i got there a couple months after fruiting season.  :'(
Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
Anikulapo,
What a sight!  I thought I was back in Brasil already! 
Impressive Spiritosantensis! 
When I bought my tree from the late Bob and Vivian Murray, it already had a couple fruits on it.  The tree was approximately 4 to 5 feet tall.  I strongly recommend this variety!  It is such a beautiful sight when flowering!   Thank you Espirito Santo for producing such a blessing!  Thank you Adam aka Anikulapo for the pics, great job!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »
Wow, there is the real deal!

we have large ones, but none I've seen are over 40yrs or so, old.

I suppose our crappy soil (overall soil biology incompatibility), and colder weather, all contribute to the fact that, they will ever get that nice here in FL.

But we try our best to emulate Brazil.

thanks for the pic Oscar. :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »
Wow, Adam your Tree has more Flower's than leaves!!!  Absolutely Gorgeous ;D ;D ;D

Oscar, That tree look's like a freak'n Cypress! I have never seen a Jabuticaba tree that big ;D ;D ;D

Here's a vid of a Jabuticaba Plantation In Goiás, Brazil! The Plantaion is considered to be the biggest in the WORLD!!!

A tree in the vid is so Generous that it even produces fruit on the exposed root's!
The variety they are Cultivating is ''Pingo de mel'' which is used to make several products like Moonshine, Juice, Preserves and even wine!!!

In Brazil there is a Tradition for Family member's and Friend's to Climb the tree and consume the Fruit!!!
Berto, I sure you have done it!!! :)

The Jabuticaba take very long to Produce!!!, But, When it does! OH BOY, you won't even know what to do with the surplus !!! ;D ;D ;D
The Jabuticaba is a must in any Garden!!!

Jabuticabas de Goiás - Hidrolândia

Hope you guy's enjoy the vid!

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
Here in FL the tradition is to let your neighboring possums, raccoons, squirrels, rats, and birds climb the trees to pick the fruits..

Although I know some shoot these would be guests in the head, and discard their carcasses.   :(

I never thought to kill an animal, but when I saw what an armadillo did the some potted Plinia edulis seeds, digging in the pots killing them...we'll lets just say it reminded me too much of that damn senator tree...eye for an eye,  life for a life.  (we'd all have one eye some say)
I'm in the camp that only kills bugs at this point...I've been lucky not to have the urge to kill animals.  My dogs,(big dog for big animals, little dog for little animals!) and potted plants seem to keep animals away.  No tree is near to be a pathway to branches for rats and squirrels.  So only birds and fruitflies get to me.  I love birds, so they can have their fill at my house! ALso they leave seeds behind , so I can't complain (even fruit flies leave seeds behind, thank goodness).

Maybe I will have to start a thread about killing (or not killing) animals that anger us (stealing fruits, harming trees, etc...not just barking next door!)  Some animals just can't be touched (like M.C. Hammer), but some are legally executed (like Ailieen Wuornos)

Sorry for derail.  but this tree (big grimal) will be subject to animals I may want to discourage, without destroying.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:57:54 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Steven,
Nice video! 
Wow, they produce one thousand tons of jabuticaba!
I believe that this is the place where the owner will transfer the property ownership to anyone able to eat one fruit from each tree.  It is absolutely impossible to do that...too many!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
Steven,
Nice video! 
I believe that this is the place where the owner will transfer the property ownership to anyone able to eat one fruit from each tree.  It is absolutely impossible to do that...too many!

I believe he said he has 600 hectares (1500 acres) but didn't understand if it's all planted in jaboticaba? Jaboticaba suprlus makes excellent juice, excellent wine, and one year i made an incredibly good jaboticaba liqueur. Here is a photo of the jaboticaba juice. I just took fruits whole and pressed them in a hydraulic press.

Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
Oscar,
The reporter said that the property is 600 hectares and 125 hectares are planted with jabuticabas. He also said that this is the biggest jabuticaba orchard in the world.  There are 31,000 (thirty one thousand) jabuticaba trees.
I have a few trees in my orchard, and I make jabuticaba jam, ice cream, juice, and liqueur, which I think it is better than a high quality port wine.  In my opinion, a jabuticaba tree is a great addition to ones collection of tropical or subtropical trees.  However, my opinion is extra biased, not impartial at all!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »
Oscar,
The reporter said that the property is 600 hectares and 125 hectares are planted with jabuticabas. He also said that this is the biggest jabuticaba orchard in the world.  There are 31,000 (thirty one thousand) jabuticaba trees.
I have a few trees in my orchard, and I make jabuticaba jam, ice cream, juice, and liqueur, which I think it is better than a high quality port wine.  In my opinion, a jabuticaba tree is a great addition to ones collection of tropical or subtropical trees.  However, my opinion is extra biased, not impartial at all!

Thanks for the translation. 125 hectares (312 acres), 31,000 trees i think that would make Adam faint at the very sight. HAHAHAHA  I like the idea of pick your own jaboticaba operation. You should do that in Central Florida Adam! You be the jaboticaba man!
Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »
Adam,
Some numbers to beat. Let's get going!
The reporter said that each jabuticaba tree averages 50 kilo per tree.  The yearly production is 1,000 ton (one thousand ton which is approximately 2,200,000 pounds (two million and two hundred thousand pounds)
They get on average 10,000 visitors a year.  Each visitor pays R$ 13 to get in and eat as many jabuticabas they want plus R$ 3 a kilo for any fruit they want to take home.
1 USD = R$ 1.76 (today's exchange rate)
Like any other good business, I think that they make the most money selling the other jabuticaba products: Wine, jam, jelly, juice, liqueurs, and fire water (aguardente). They sell 125,000 liters of red and white wine yearly.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
 :-X ;) :-X ;) :-X ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Here in FL the tradition is to let your neighboring possums, raccoons, squirrels, rats, and birds climb the trees to pick the fruits..

Although I know some shoot these would be guests in the head, and discard their carcasses.   :(

I never thought to kill an animal, but when I saw what an armadillo did the some potted Plinia edulis seeds, digging in the pots killing them...we'll lets just say it reminded me too much of that damn senator tree...eye for an eye,  life for a life.  (we'd all have one eye some say)
I'm in the camp that only kills bugs at this point...I've been lucky not to have the urge to kill animals.  My dogs,(big dog for big animals, little dog for little animals!) and potted plants seem to keep animals away.  No tree is near to be a pathway to branches for rats and squirrels.  So only birds and fruitflies get to me.  I love birds, so they can have their fill at my house! ALso they leave seeds behind , so I can't complain (even fruit flies leave seeds behind, thank goodness).

Maybe I will have to start a thread about killing (or not killing) animals that anger us (stealing fruits, harming trees, etc...not just barking next door!)  Some animals just can't be touched (like M.C. Hammer), but some are legally executed (like Ailieen Wuornos)

Sorry for derail.  but this tree (big grimal) will be subject to animals I may want to discourage, without destroying.

Adam,
You are really Hilarious ;D ;D ;D

The only wildlife here is Big Ass Rat's!!! Which I don't have a problem, My cat takes care of that department!!!

Seeds that passes through the gut of an animal, germinates much faster!!! Which is clearly an advantage for you nursery!!! ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »
Steven,
Nice video! 

Hi Berto,
I'm glad you liked the vid!!! :)

It's really incredible and can you imagine eating one fruit of each tree!!! I totally agree with you!!! It's definitely Impossible ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
Steven,
Nice video! 

Hi Berto,

It's really incredible and can you imagine eating one fruit of each tree!!! I totally agree with you!!! It's definitely Impossible ;D ;D ;D

They also have about 4 different Jaboticaba festivals in Brazil. Would be worth going there just to attend one of these festivals. There are some vids on youtube about the festivals. Looks like great fun. If i go back there again i will try to schedule it around one of those festivals, the world cup soccer chamionship, and the carnival. Sounds like i will have to stay at least 6 months!  ;D
Oscar
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
All those number's made me dizzy, ;D ;D ;D

Berto- Thank you so much for translating the vid! I really much appreciate it :) :) :)

Adam- You better start planting the jabos!!! The clock is ticking ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
Steven,
Nice video! 

Hi Berto,

They also have about 4 different Jaboticaba festivals in Brazil. Would be worth going there just to attend one of these festivals. There are some vids on youtube about the festivals. Looks like great fun. If i go back there again i will try to schedule it around one of those festivals, the world cup soccer chamionship, and the carnival. Sounds like i will have to stay at least 6 months!  ;D
Oscar

Oscar,
when you go there, you must take TONS of pics to share with us!!!  It really does look like fun!! I will go there one day!!!

I also found 2 vids of the Jabuticaba festival of Sabara from You tube! I got to admit I have watched it several time! ;D ;D ;D

Part 1:
Festival da Jabuticaba de Sabará 2007 :: Parte 1

Part 2:
Festival da Jabuticaba de Sabará 2007 :: Parte 2

Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »
Yeah the Sabara festival is the main one i'd like to attend. I already have tons of photos of Brazil, so if i go again i will have to spend the rest of my life just sorting through all the thousands of photos. HAHAHA  I'm toying with idea of going in 2014 so i can also attend the world cup matches in Rio. There will also be world cup matches in Manaus, deep in Amazon jungle! Brazilian amazon is truly divine!
Oscar
Oscar