Author Topic: Achachairu (Achacha) seeds wanted  (Read 10303 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Achachairu (Achacha) seeds wanted
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
I 'm looking for achachairu seeds.

I can pay for them or send you seeds/scions.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Achachairu (Achacha) seeds wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:40:58 PM »
I have a few fruit in the fridge I could polish off tonght and send some seeds your way.
Message me with address.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »
I 'm looking for achachairu seeds.

I can pay for them or send you seeds/scions.

How many seeds do you want ? A month I will have several seeds good quality and size Achachairu

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
BMc i sent you a pm.

Ricbitar i am leaving Thailand in 2 months time, i guess your seeds won't be here before that. The mail between our country's doesn't work or very very slow.

what would you like to have from Thailand? I can send you seeds that are availlable now or soon. I still see longans on the markets and i guess more fruits will come soon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
BK achachairus in Australia are grown in a dry (1000mm/yr) subtropical climate and Bangkok is much warmer and probably a little wetter.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
BK achachairus in Australia are grown in a dry (1000mm/yr) subtropical climate and Bangkok is much warmer and probably a little wetter.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5776533_grow-achachairu-plant.html

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/newsletter/Mar2011.htm?PHPSESSID=a6b97a519129f547ef7b5e9f8594459e
 Achacha have been trialled successfully in tropical Queensland where the soil is rich and there is high rainfall,  we are very interested to see how the trees cope with subtropical climates.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/30657-anybody-growing-bolivian-mangosteen-garcinia-sp-achachairu/

Well i only know that you can fruit them in Cairns, Oscar in Hawai, people in Puerto Rico, some in Florida.....It is dry here now since 2 months and will stay dry untill the end of april i guess, no rain at all and not humid but warm. I would like to try it but hope they will fruit of course.

If the problem is wet soil i can grow them under the carport but sure we will get humid air in the raining season, no way to escape from that.
If i grow them at the back of the house they will get much shade and sun for 1-2 hours a day, it is also cooler there.

Rainfall from 1400-2500 mm is normal for them, they also had plantations in Honduras.   http://books.google.nl/books?id=cjHCoMQNkcgC&pg=PA272&lpg=PA272&dq=Rheedia+laterifolia+climate&source=bl&ots=u_2t8z1GZW&sig=UhmXu6slJhRmXIBTztPXj1gC0Xs&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=Fl_TUrKKDcq-rgeCkoG4DA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Rheedia%20laterifolia%20climate&f=false

BKK gets like 1600 mm a year
http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48455

I just have to try it.

I

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
BK the odd thing about where the big plantation is in Australia is that in spite of being 21/22 latitude the Burdekin delta is mapped as a northerly island of subtropical climate due to very cool winters.It sounds like they can handle hot,tropical climates as you point out.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
Well i just want to give it a go, no pain no gain. It would be awesome to have that fruit in Thailand in my garden. If it never fruits then at least i have a tree to block the view to my backneighbours. There is a leelawadee now that barely flowers so that one has to go as soon as the achacha's have a decent size.

I have many passionfruits now on the vine (which is huge now) and they look good. I wonder though if they have to hang in full sun to get the deep color. I still handpollinate them because i can't stand it if flowers drop because of no pollination. I noticed that not all flowers open their anthers before dusk. When i use the pollen from the totally opened and pollen-dropping ones then i get a high succes-rate of handpollination.

I ate a small one allready which dropped and had a pink color and that was not very sweet but better then the Thai passionfruits. I have many big ones as well who have to get color soon so i hope they will ripen totally. I have another one which is pink and dropped but i let it getting wrinkled totally now before i will open it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
Passionfruit - BK don't let them wrinkle and just eat fresh as they are a flavicarpa.As the vine ages, and in summer the fruit will be sweeter.Mg,sulphur and potash also help the taste.The yellow is better.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
BK the odd thing about where the big plantation is in Australia is that in spite of being 21/22 latitude the Burdekin delta is mapped as a northerly island of subtropical climate due to very cool winters.It sounds like they can handle hot,tropical climates as you point out.

Yes achachairu is widely adapted and can handle both lowland tropics and higher elevation sub tropical climates. In its native Bolivia it grows well in both.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »
Passionfruit - BK don't let them wrinkle and just eat fresh as they are a flavicarpa.As the vine ages, and in summer the fruit will be sweeter.Mg,sulphur and potash also help the taste.The yellow is better.

Mike i have potassium-nitrate and also 0-0-60, which one should i give them? I also have dolomite so that will be good anyway i guess or is agriculture gypsum better because it has sulfur? I can easy buy obtain that. How much of those should i give them?

epsom salts are very expensive here so i won't buy that.

It is a relief that i can grow achacha here, it has became an obsession to have all those fruit growing. I started with just a mangotree for fun and now they are all around the house and i really get happy if i have a new family member haha. Too bad the abiu's were sold out but that is the next target to get. Also my neighbour is interested now and wants to grow my barbados cherrytree in full soil and sun at our borderfence. I think he will grow more of my tree's soon so then i have much more land to see them grow and we can share fruits because we are good friends.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
BK I am a little parcel weary at the moment but I can get abiu seeds to you. Gypsum is not so good and be sparing with dolomite. Remember nutrient antagonisms and be light with 0:0:60. blend that had micros and P would also help. Don't fertilize with anything strong while fruit are on. A fair bit of N in the mix is ok for the vine after harvest is done and a second application during the year should be lower in N.
In really fertile soils they seem to produce great fruit without fertilizer.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:29 AM »
I have a few fruit in the fridge I could polish off tonght and send some seeds your way.
Message me with address.

BMc i got the seeds today! They look good and some even sprouted allready. Thank you very much, i 'm a happy camper  ;D

Cheers mate!

Yam55Ing

• Garcinia, Pouteria Mania !!
    • Republic of Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
Message me with address.

Hello BMC
Can I buy you a Achacha seed?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »
BKK, we did you get this info that Achacha will fruit getting full sun 1-2 hours  a day? And can anybody confirm it?
I got more Achacha than any other fruit ( Jim West and Australia). I can definitely use them if the shade factor is true. Otherwise I have too many.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
BKK, we did you get this info that Achacha will fruit getting full sun 1-2 hours  a day? And can anybody confirm it?
I got more Achacha than any other fruit ( Jim West and Australia). I can definitely use them if the shade factor is true. Otherwise I have too many.

DL

I accompany this tree for several years, IS IN FULL SUN ALL DAY, is the best achacha in Brazil, see the video

CONHEÇA O ACHACHAIRÚ

The taste of this fruits is the perfect combination of the sour and sweet, You can not eat only one fruit

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

It is garcinia humilis or laterifolia, some websites also call garcinia intermedia as achachairu but i call that lemon drop mangosteen.

http://zoom50.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/achachairuachachagarcinia-humilis/
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=359.30;wap2

Yam55Ing

• Garcinia, Pouteria Mania !!
    • Republic of Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

DL

I accompany this tree for several years, IS IN FULL SUN ALL DAY, is the best achacha in Brazil, see the video

CONHEÇA O ACHACHAIRÚ

The taste of this fruits is the perfect combination of the sour and sweet, You can not eat only one fruit

Hello RICBITAR
It seems that a lot of production in Brazil.
Are interested in me Achachairu.
I would like to buy the seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 03:22:06 AM »

Pretty amazing plant in that it will fruit in full sun and also in LOTS of shade!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »

It is garcinia humilis or laterifolia, some websites also call garcinia intermedia as achachairu but i call that lemon drop mangosteen.

None of the above. Achachairu, at least the type of achachairu you are talking about, is a as yet uinnamed species. All those other species names are incorrect and refer to totally different plants.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »

None of the above. Achachairu, at least the type of achachairu you are talking about, is a as yet uinnamed species. All those other species names are incorrect and refer to totally different plants.

Oscar did you eat all of them and if so which one is the best tasting? Strange that so many fruits are called achachairu. I think i have garcinia humilis now and also lemon drop which should be less sweet. This is all i know about them. If i ever see the fruits somewhere i will buy them for sure, can't wait to taste them.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »

Oscar,

I know this issue has been discussed a lot on this forum, and since you are one of the members with the greatest amount of experience, I shall ask you my question.

Knowing that the scientific names  G. humilis, G. laterifolia and G. brasilensis, are often misapplied to the Achachairu, in your experience examining and tasting the plant/fruit, when someone presents you with an Achachairu and gives it one of the aforementioned scientific names is it usually the correct fruit, i.e. from Garcinia sp., or is it the fruit/plant from the named species and not a true Achachairu?   For a specific example, Jim West sells seeds of G. humilis with the common name Achachairu.  Do you know if he is selling the Achachairu (Garcinia sp.) or G. humilis (Hatrack fruit)?  I do not mean to pick on Mr. West here, since even Wikipedia says that G. humilis is the Achacha :o

Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
LOL  I've seen Oscar have to repeat this about 30 times...two of those time were to me.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »

Oscar did you eat all of them and if so which one is the best tasting? Strange that so many fruits are called achachairu. I think i have garcinia humilis now and also lemon drop which should be less sweet. This is all i know about them. If i ever see the fruits somewhere i will buy them for sure, can't wait to taste them.

I've tasted achachairu (Garcinia sp.) and lemon drop mangosteen (Garcinia intermedia). The achachairu is a much bigger and better fruit. I really doubt you have Garcinia humilis, common name Hat Rack fruit. This fruit it's impossible to even get a photo of online. It originates in Jamaica, Trinidad, and i don't think has good quality fruit. As name implies, main use was for carving the wood, and was often used for making hat racks.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »

That's a really nice video.

The reporters are a bit clueless, though...
 At some point, the fruit is compared to the mangosteen, but the name they use
 "mangostanzeiro" is something they invented, because it should have been "mangostão". 

How I wish my trees started fruiting already!

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
I also read the discussions about the different names for the achachairu.

Lemon drop is another fruit then achachairu on the above movie.

But what i was wondering is if the rest of the achachairu's or achacha's all taste/look the same or not. I mean the variety's from Bolivia or Brasil or Australia.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
Oscar,

I know this issue has been discussed a lot on this forum, and since you are one of the members with the greatest amount of experience, I shall ask you my question.

Knowing that the scientific names  G. humilis, G. laterifolia and G. brasilensis, are often misapplied to the Achachairu, in your experience examining and tasting the plant/fruit, when someone presents you with an Achachairu and gives it one of the aforementioned scientific names is it usually the correct fruit, i.e. from Garcinia sp., or is it the fruit/plant from the named species and not a true Achachairu?   For a specific example, Jim West sells seeds of G. humilis with the common name Achachairu.  Do you know if he is selling the Achachairu (Garcinia sp.) or G. humilis (Hatrack fruit)?  I do not mean to pick on Mr. West here, since even Wikipedia says that G. humilis is the Achacha :o

Richard

Richard, they usually have the right fruit, just not the right latin name. The assumption made by most, including myself long at first, is that since it's a commercially grown fruit that it must have at some point been given a scientific name. So they incorrectly hang the name humilis, or laterifolia on it, or even brasilensis.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »
Any ideas on planting distance for Achacha? I only have info on height and some pictures of commercial Queensland farms to go by, but I think they keep excessive distance in Australia.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
Any ideas on planting distance for Achacha? I only have info on height and some pictures of commercial Queensland farms to go by, but I think they keep excessive distance in Australia.

I am planting about 8 meters distance, the tree canopy about 30 years have  8 meters diameter,
when more old are the tree , more big and more production fruit
http://www.sicsantacruz.com/Biblioteca/01_PDF/06_fruticultura/0106006/010600601.pdf
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:29:40 AM by RICBITAR »

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »
I also read the discussions about the different names for the achachairu.

Lemon drop is another fruit then achachairu on the above movie.

But what i was wondering is if the rest of the achachairu's or achacha's all taste/look the same or not. I mean the variety's from Bolivia or Brasil or Australia.

The original Achachairu, is from Bolivia, the trees of achacha in Brazil or Australia, was come from Bolivia,
The site information of Brazil and Australia , said the origin fruit is from Bolivia, read :
http://www.achacha.com.au/about.html

Lemon drop is another Garcinia intermedia

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
8 metres distance is far to big for my garden, i will have to prune it.

Is it possible to graft garcinia humilis (or mangosteen) onto the garcinia intermedia rootstock? That might give a dwarf garcinia tree.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4216.0

I see, much info was discussed here allready.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:19:31 AM by bangkok »

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Oscar,

You say it will fruit in LOTS of shade? Amazing!

So it could be an understorey tree in an ultratropic food forest beneath a very large fruit tree?

Ricardo said it gets 8 metres wide after 30 years, but how tall would it get, so I get an idea where to place them in our food forest here?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
Oscar,

You say it will fruit in LOTS of shade? Amazing!

So it could be an understorey tree in an ultratropic food forest beneath a very large fruit tree?

Ricardo said it gets 8 metres wide after 30 years, but how tall would it get, so I get an idea where to place them in our food forest here?

Yes achachairu can grow and fruit as an understorey tree. BTW, this is true of other closely related tree, like lemon drop mangosteen. There is one lemon drop at arboretum here that fruits under complete shade of giant mango tree. I'm guessing the achachairu could get 8 meters tall. But will depend on your soil and climate
Oscar