Author Topic: Wanted: High quality pomegranate in Thailand  (Read 3237 times)

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
Wanted: High quality pomegranate in Thailand
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
I've planted two local pomegranates and they are producing fruit -- but Thai pomegranates are particularly lousy . . .  Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get budwood of a 'Wonderful' or a 'Granada' or a Mexican variety?  Can budwood survive a two-week journey (if lucky) by mail?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Wanted: High quality pomegranate in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:02 PM »
Don't believe those varieties of pomegranate will do well in Thailand, unless you're up at higher elevation in northern Thailand?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
I have a wonderful in the yard because I like the thai taptims.It has never fruited and never will. When in Thailand grow the tropical thai pomegranate even if they have colour as the others just don't grow. Maybe in Chang Rai as Oscar points out a wonderful or equivalent types could make it.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
I'm in NE Thailand, close to the Mekong river, in a region that does have a substantial dry season (but not as dry as down closer to the Cambodian border).  It's not like southern Thailand.  But I chose those cultivars because I like them, and hate the unknown village pomegranates that Thais grow.  If you have any suggestions for sweet, juicy pomegranates that might like that sort of climate, pass them on!

And thoughts about the logistics of transporting budwood as well, would be appreciated.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
You might be right -- I admit I know nothing about pomegranates.  I looked up the climate for Cairns, and it looks like it's significantly wetter than Nong Khai, but also a bit cooler during the winter.  I'll look up the climatic requirement. 

It's also possible that there are good Thai pomegranates, and I don't have them because I got mine from the village, sort of like looking for apples in ghost towns in the United States.  Thank you for your suggestion and information. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »
Nick there are plenty in that part of Isaan and Mukdahan not far away even has mangosteen,sala,longkong,maprang and durian on the farms. Your winters may be a little cooler and you can get below 10c.I suppose your rain is around 1000mm/yr. Still wonderful and the others would not be worthwhile compared to local taptim.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »
In BKK they sell grafted tree's with variety's from India and Taiwan. I tried to grow India twice but without success. If you find one that is nice and grows well then let me know please. I gave up on searching a good one that grows here in BKK.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
In BKK they sell grafted tree's with variety's from India and Taiwan. I tried to grow India twice but without success. If you find one that is nice and grows well then let me know please. I gave up on searching a good one that grows here in BKK.

I'll do that, and vice versa as well, if you come across one. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
The nurseries on the western outskirts of Ubon used to be loaded with taptim.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
I find those Thai nurseries and tree fairs really frustrating -- you just have no idea when you're getting a good grafted cultivar and when you're getting some stray seed thrown in a pot.  Plus every shop has exactly the same set of stuff.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
I am testing out pomegranates at my house, 5 varieties: wonderful seedlings, vietnamese red, sirenevyi, desertnyi, and angel red. So far the most vigorous one at my house is the desertnyi followed by the vietnamese red. The vietnamese red I bought as a mature plant that has already fruited, while the others are cuttings that will probably flower this year or the next. If you would like some cuttings I can send you some to try over there.

I have been told that the quality of angel red and desertnyi have been very good and usually rank as one of the top pomegranates, but the one I have seen the most frequently rated as top is the Parfianka pomegranate, which doesnt produce as well in South Florida.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:29:55 PM by omarudy »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:39:57 PM »
I find those Thai nurseries and tree fairs really frustrating -- you just have no idea when you're getting a good grafted cultivar and when you're getting some stray seed thrown in a pot.  Plus every shop has exactly the same set of stuff.

Yes i agree, also they never label the tree's so they can just give you something if you ask for a specific one. I also gave a tubtim India to my mother in law, it grows well and makes fruit but they have big hard seeds in them while it should be a seedless variety. She doesn't want to eat them and now i am the one that gave it to her. I went back to the seller but it has a new owner allready now.

But there are no decent nursery's at all in Thailand, nobody labels tree's here and almost none of them can speak any english. Even the pomegranate-juice sellers on the streets try to cheat customers by showing nice dark red fruits while they squeeze juice from light red ones.

In Sri Lanka is a yellow seed variety that should grow well in our climate is what i read on this forum.