Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 75970 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
I decided to harvest another one of my White Jades today so I can bring it over to Brads for sampling. This particular fruit was growing for approximately 7 months so the 6 month rule does not always apply. I harvested a fruit at 6 months and it wasn’t fully sweetened. For this fruit, I waited until The underside away from the sun, had yellow eyes all the way up and down the fruit.

After harvesting, the underside of the fruit looked a lot more green than I originally noticed right before I harvested it but I was worried about critters getting to it before I did so I took a chance. I’m hoping that this fruit will have a Brix higher than the 16% I got from my last Fruit. I’ll update with a taste report after we cut it open later. The fruit, with the top on, weighed approximately 3lbs 10 Oz so the fruit itself probably weighs about 3 lbs. here are some pictures

Simon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »
wow, biggest WJ i seen right there!

good growing Simon!

I decided to harvest another one of my White Jades today so I can bring it over to Brads for sampling. This particular fruit was growing for approximately 7 months so the 6 month rule does not always apply. I harvested a fruit at 6 months and it wasn’t fully sweetened. For this fruit, I waited until The underside away from the sun, had yellow eyes all the way up and down the fruit.

After harvesting, the underside of the fruit looked a lot more green than I originally noticed right before I harvested it but I was worried about critters getting to it before I did so I took a chance. I’m hoping that this fruit will have a Brix higher than the 16% I got from my last Fruit. I’ll update with a taste report after we cut it open later. The fruit, with the top on, weighed approximately 3lbs 10 Oz so the fruit itself probably weighs about 3 lbs. here are some pictures

Simon
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
Thanks Adam!

I just came back from the orchard at Brads place and we sampled this White Jade. It was a good sized fruit and this fruit tasted better than the last WJ I harvested. This fruit had a Brix reading of 17% for the highest reading and the lowest reading I got was 15%. This fruit has much less acidity than all previous WJs I’ve sampled. I believe leaving the fruit in longer has helped with decreasing acidity.

Although this fruit has higher Brix and lower acidity, the vanilla and candy flavor was not as strong as the last fruit. I attribute this to my increased watering to try to pump this fruit up bigger. I usually withhold watering prior to harvest but this fruit was bottom heavy and I wanted to see if the top would fill in more. I should have known better since I knew this fruit was close to harvesting.

Anyways, this fruit tasted sweet with almost no acidity. The little bit of acidity it had was very enjoyable. The flesh texture is soft and extremely juicy.

I didn’t fertilize this plant regularly so I believe this fruit would have tasted even better and probably gotten even larger if I did fertilize on a schedule. Here’s a picture of the fruit cut in half. This plant is so easy to grow and the fruit is so delicious that I recommend everyone try their hand st growing it. It’s definitely a hot topic of conversation for all my neighbors.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
Simon, thanks for sharing. Nice size pineapple fruit. Mine is small this year again but also it looks different. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:41:35 PM by Galka »

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
That fruit looks delicious, Simon.
Good that I bought a WJ from Brad last weekend.

FruitFool

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
Simon, thanks for sharing. Nice size pineapple fruit. Mine is small this year again but also it looks different. 

Galka,  have a couple White Jades that look exactly like yours, smaller and more puffy around the eyes. I’ll take a picture when I get a chance.

Fruitfool, you’ll be happy with the plant. It grows well here although mine dies back from the frost in Winter. This particular fruit is good sized even though it got almost completely frozen back earlier this year. You can see a picture of this plant with a small fruit on it in previous pages of this thread.

I’m actually surprised that this plant was able to form a good sized fruit with respectable Brix even though it started out the year with hardly any leaves. I would hazard to guess that the Brix would be 2-4 % higher if the leaves didn’t get frozen back.
Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
Simon, the big WJ has such a short neck. All mine have long necks and I read that it means it's not good genetics. But I think we both got these plants from Adam so I don't know why the difference. It would be good to see if the next fruit from this line also has the short neck. Short neck = bigger fruit?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 17, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Nice job Simon!  FWIW without question the Peters 25-5-10 works really well with pineapples. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 17, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
Fang, yes, all my plants are from the original tissue cultured plants from Adam. They all started growing exactly the same until I changed their environment. The plants with larger pots, more fertilizer grew larger. This particular fruit has a very short stalk. I’ll try to keep track to see if it’s clones also result in short stalks.

Mark, I think I have the Peters, I just have to start using it regularly.

Simin

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
Fang, yes, all my plants are from the original tissue cultured plants from Adam. They all started growing exactly the same until I changed their environment. The plants with larger pots, more fertilizer grew larger. This particular fruit has a very short stalk. I’ll try to keep track to see if it’s clones also result in short stalks.

Simin

Citrus loves it too.  I turned Brad on to it.    Seems he's going thru bags of it like changing underwear via the Mazzei injectors I sent him.  Actually its a 25-5-15.  Has a great micros package too.

Typical this time of the year for us - we're getting some really cold nights and it never fails, I get the white, mottled cold dots on the leaves.  For some strange reason White Jade and White Sugarloaf are not affected near as much as my "twistees".

[/url}

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »

Simin

Citrus loves it too.  I turned Brad on to it.    Seems he's going thru bags of it like changing underwear via the Mazzei injectors I sent him.  Actually its a 25-5-15.  Has a great micros package too.

Typical this time of the year for us - we're getting some really cold nights and it never fails, I get the white, mottled cold dots on the leaves.  For some strange reason White Jade and White Sugarloaf are not affected near as much as my "twistees".

[/url}

Haha changing underwear?  Lol

I ran 50lbs of it through the inector.  Unfortunately my trees are looking a bit salt burnt.  Typical this time of year.  Well actually we have had hardly any rain for over a year so things are not happy.  Will have to ease off the salts until we get some rainfall.
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »

Simin

[/url}
I was actually about to ask if this was cold damage. I have a pineapple that looks very similar. Will they be ok in the cold or should I move it in?
-Kris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »

I ran 50lbs of it through the inector.

Is that all?   ;D

Another really good food is this one for pots and small in ground trees.  Usually it's priced over $20 for 8#.  https://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Outdoor-Smart-Release-8-Pound-Fertilizer/dp/B00GTDGMHC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1542804475&sr=8-15&keywords=osmocote+indoor+outdoor+for 

50# bag.  Better NPK and a great micros package.  Longer life too.  https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/supplies/fertilizer/osmocote-pro-19-5-8-50-bag-8-9-month

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:00:30 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »

I ran 50lbs of it through the inector.

Is that all?   ;D

Another really good food is this one for pots and small in ground trees.  Usually it's priced over $20 for 8#.  https://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Outdoor-Smart-Release-8-Pound-Fertilizer/dp/B00GTDGMHC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1542804475&sr=8-15&keywords=osmocote+indoor+outdoor+for 

50# bag.  Better NPK and a great micros package.  Longer life too.  https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/supplies/fertilizer/osmocote-pro-19-5-8-50-bag-8-9-month

May have been 25lbs, not sure what size the bags of jacks are. 

I get the polyon and soluables from Harrells now.  Its half the price of jacks and osmocote.  Harrells rules.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2018, 12:48:52 PM »

I get the polyon and soluables from Harrells now.  Its half the price of jacks and osmocote.  Harrells rules.

Yes they do.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »
Harvested my first White Jade last week.  I really had no idea what kind of pineapple it was at first since it had been planted at least 2 yrs ago and I just forgot what was what.  I was very hesistant to pick it since my other pineapples go full golden yellow when completely ripe, some of them very quickly.  The White Jade fruit was left maturing for a few months at least but I got skeptical and decided pull it.  The skin gave a little when squeezed and had slight yellow pigmentations.  Also I could see ants around the fruit. 

Anyway, once my wife sliced it up it was white and the core was soft and edible.  It had a slight tartness to it but was very tasty.  I probably pulled it a little early but it was still good.  I got some left in the fridge I'm gonna eat for breakfast today.  :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2019, 11:09:04 PM »
Yeah, White Jades are excellent tasting fruit. I like the fact that they don’t have a bunch of spines, except for the tip of the leaves. Pineapples are an insanely beautiful plant, especially when they are in bloom. They also make an excellent conversation piece. Thanks for the report!

Simon

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 05, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »
Hey Simon, how'd your White Jades do in 2020?

I haven't grown one yet, but I'm looking forward to it so I've read this whole thread in preparation.  That took a while, but there's some great advice here.  Thanks especially to Simon, Mark & Brad!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 05, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
I brought over all my pineapple plants to Brads orchard. His plants are huge now and he’s been getting huge fruit.  Brad, you should post some pictures!

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
I deleted the pics but theres pics in the pineapple thread somewhere here. 
Brad Spaugh