Author Topic: Aegle marmelos?  (Read 1778 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Aegle marmelos?
« on: August 12, 2018, 05:18:37 AM »
The fruit is hard on the outside, just like the wood apple.  Locally, they call it "vilvam pazham" in Tamil.  It does looks like the bael fruit (Aegle marmelos) but I still have some doubts. 

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Aegle marmelos?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Yes it is Aegle marmelos.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
I tried Aegle marmelos and was really disappointment by the flavor  :'( . It has almost like no flavor at all.
Moh'd

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
This is one completely neglected tree.  I have never seen even a single ripe fruit from it.  The fruits all fall while still green.  And any which appear ripened on the ground is beyond salvaging.  Already affected by fungus. 

I think this might be due to the lack of rain.  This tree is not in Chennai, but at my village further South and it's almost like a desert there. 

Moh'd, was it completely bland?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
This is one completely neglected tree.  I have never seen even a single ripe fruit from it.  The fruits all fall while still green.  And any which appear ripened on the ground is beyond salvaging.  Already affected by fungus. 

I think this might be due to the lack of rain.  This tree is not in Chennai, but at my village further South and it's almost like a desert there. 

Moh'd, was it completely bland?

Yes, my friend completely "Flavorless". I bought several fruits from the local Asian/Indian market and they all taste the same, very bland.  :'(

If you want something with more flavor and can be found locally try Sherbet berry aka Grewsia asiatica. The taste is similar to cranberry.

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Phalsa.html
Moh'd

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:48:50 AM »
I only had them cooked, boiled whole.  The flavor was quite strong and nice.  Raw, they are just a gluey mess.
Har

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
Moh'd, could it be like most other fruits that are bland and tasteless when store bought, but sweet when self grown?  I've not tasted it, but the aroma from the raw fruits makes me feel it might have some taste to it.

The reason I haven't tried it is because I was unsure whether it was edible or not.  Also, since certain plant have parts that are toxic when unripe, I didn't want to take any chance. 

Yes, these raw fruits are really a gluey mess.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Moh'd, could it be like most other fruits that are bland and tasteless when store bought, but sweet when self grown?  I've not tasted it, but the aroma from the raw fruits makes me feel it might have some taste to it.

The reason I haven't tried it is because I was unsure whether it was edible or not.  Also, since certain plant have parts that are toxic when unripe, I didn't want to take any chance. 

Yes, these raw fruits are really a gluey mess.

Sure, home grown fruits will taste better, in most cases. As for Aegle marmelos, try to get a selected variety and try it. Let us know if you like it or not.
Moh'd

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 05:11:22 AM »
Sure, home grown fruits will taste better, in most cases. As for Aegle marmelos, try to get a selected variety and try it. Let us know if you like it or not.

I don't know if I will get to taste this fruit locally.  I think it is mostly available only in the Northeast.

Anyone knows why all the fruits drop while raw and green!

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »

I don't know if I will get to taste this fruit locally.  I think it is mostly available only in the Northeast.

Anyone knows why all the fruits drop while raw and green!

Stress Will cause that. After all, plants are living things just like human, they will do anything to survive.
Moh'd