Author Topic: Soursop - to prune or not to prune - that's the question.  (Read 1501 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Soursop - to prune or not to prune - that's the question.
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
As you can see from the pictures, this plant should be about 10 feet tall.  The wall is 6 feet tall (for comparison).  Now, this plant is flowering but all the flowers are way on the top part.  Many suggest to hand pollinate for effective fruit set.  It's almost impossible to get to the flowers at this height.  So, should I prune it or just allow nature to take its course?

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop - to prune or not to prune - that's the question.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »
Yep chop it at the height of the ledge and keep it to that height

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
Yep chop it at the height of the ledge and keep it to that height

It looks to be planted in low light conditions between two buildings which is forcing long slender & tall leggy growth.
Any changes you can make to increase light levels will help slow it down but you should probably invest in a good ladder.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:39:18 AM »
I'm not a soursop expert, but I have two trees.  I don't believe you'll be able to keep the tree short like you might want.  The fruit are heavy.  They need a strong tree to support them.  I'm not finding that they require hand pollination.
John

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
Yes PI.  It's located between two buildings.  There's no way to increase existing light conditions :(
Funny thing is that I had planted several plants around the house with different light conditions with this being the one with the least amount of light received.  Yet this is the best performing one so far. 

So, if I follow Stevo's advise and chop the top off, will it work in this situation?

John, I'll have to search where I read about hand pollination.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
I would bent the tree to about 180 degrees, just work with the tree but keep the trunck straight.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »
I’d cut it to 6ft then enforce strong  lateral growth but seems like it’s also in a tight space so it would block your side walk.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
Soursop are semi-tolerant of low light conditions. I'm not sure I'd prune it. Since it is a low light condition, the prune response might not give you a different result that what you already have. It's just going to send shoots straight to get the light that's above the roofline. I'd just stake it, fertilize it, and wait for the trunk to thicken.

Yes PI.  It's located between two buildings.  There's no way to increase existing light conditions :(
Funny thing is that I had planted several plants around the house with different light conditions with this being the one with the least amount of light received.  Yet this is the best performing one so far. 

So, if I follow Stevo's advise and chop the top off, will it work in this situation?

John, I'll have to search where I read about hand pollination.
Jeff  :-)