Author Topic: Mangoes - True to Seed or To Graft?  (Read 6849 times)

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
Mangoes - True to Seed or To Graft?
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »
I've got, what I've narrowed down by research,  three giant 65+ year old Haden Mango trees growing in my backyard from when it was a mango orchard.  Under one I have six that have sprouted and are currently about a foot tall.  Unfortunately next door is a small mango tree, but I did not flower at the same time.  Several other trees in the neighborhood are also left over from the orchard.  Can I expect this new trees to be "true" Hadens or if I wanted to get the same Haden Mangoes should I graft?  I don't want to misrepresent them as Hadens.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:04:44 AM by murahilin »

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Haden Mangoes - True to Seed or To Graft
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »
A monoembryonic mango will never be true to seed. You will have to graft the seedlings if you want to call them true Hadens.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Haden Mangoes - True to Seed or To Graft
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
Yeah Hadens do not come true to seed, but on the other hand, so many new varieties have come as a result from Haden seedlings.  but the chances that any of these seedlings is better than cultivars already known is very slim.

I would also suggest either grafting with the mother Haden tree, ( If another Haden is what you want ) or Graft with some other variety, which is what I would do. so many great varieties to choose from, go for it !
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
Growing Keitt Mangoes from seeds?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
Every year I buy large quantities of mangoes directly from a farmer.  The last time I bought mangoes from him was Keitt mangoes and we discussed growing mangoes from seeds.  He told me that the Keitt mango has to be grafted on another type of mango in order to bear any fruit.  Does someone know if it is so and also why it works that way?  The farmer couldn't answer that.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Keitt Mangoes from seeds?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Keitt mangos don't grow true to seed, but if you plant the seed it will fruit but not a keitt mango it may be a good fruit or it may not
Mike

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Thanks for a fast reply.  Do you perhaps know after how long will a mango bear fruit if planted from seeds?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
Every year I buy large quantities of mangoes directly from a farmer.  The last time I bought mangoes from him was Keitt mangoes and we discussed growing mangoes from seeds.  He told me that the Keitt mango has to be grafted on another type of mango in order to bear any fruit.  Does someone know if it is so and also why it works that way?  The farmer couldn't answer that.

Keitt is a monoembryonic mango and the embryo contained within the seed is a result of sexual reproduction. The tree which grows from the seed will be a new variety of unknown quality.

Do you perhaps know after how long will a mango bear fruit if planted from seeds?

The average range is 5-8 years.

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »

Keitt is a monoembryonic mango and the embryo contained within the seed is a result of sexual reproduction. The tree which grows from the seed will be a new variety of unknown quality.

Do you perhaps know after how long will a mango bear fruit if planted from seeds?

The average range is 5-8 years.

Thanks.  Hopefully I will strike the jackpot with a great mango if I decide to plant a seed next season.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:14:50 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
Maybe it is time to learn how to graft.  My father-in-law knows how, so maybe it is time he teaches me.  At least we are getting along very well!!  :)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
I agree with Mr. Clean, in about a year when your seedlings are about pencil size, go back to that farmer where you got the fruit from and also get some pieces of "budwood" from the Keitt tree and graft the Keitt budwood (scions) onto your seedlings.

PS: I am glad you are getting along with your father in law.  That is a good thing. :)
Adiel

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »
Maybe it is time to learn how to graft.  My father-in-law knows how, so maybe it is time he teaches me.  At least we are getting along very well!!  :)

That's awesome.  Definitely take him up on teaching you.  There are lots of videos out there, but watching someone you know in the peace of your own home, is invaluable.  I would recommend planting any mango seeds you can so you can practice your grafts.  It sucks when you want to graft, and can get viable budwood, but have no rootstock available.  It takes time to plan ahead...as I am finding out.   Good luck with your future grafting endeavors
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration