Author Topic: Visiting Hawaii island and Maui, trying to find new fruit  (Read 1269 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Visiting Hawaii island and Maui, trying to find new fruit
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:01 PM »
I’m at Hawaii island now, found a soursop and egg fruit in Hawai .  Trying to find strawberry guavas which I’ve read are invasive here, and anything else that is hard to come by.  Any suggestions of markets or wild sources?  I’m staying near Waikoloa l.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Hawaii island and Maui, trying to find new fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:25:22 AM »
Waikoloa is a nice area for vacationing but not sure that there is much game for fruit hunting.  A lot of the more unusual fruit here does not typically make it to market.  The best bet is probably if you make it over to Hilo side on a trip.  The farmers' market is worth a try, especially if you can make it on a Wed or Sat, the "big" market days.  I've heard some people say that there are some unusual fruits at the Kona market sometimes but I have never seen anything very interesting there the few times I visited it.  Usually nothing very exciting at Kea'au, Honoka'a, or Laupahoehoe markets the times I have visited them either.  I have heard that there is sometimes some interesting fruit at the Maku'u market down by HPP but I have never encountered anything very exciting the times I have been there.  Unfortunately, markets can be hit or miss as most interesting fruit is seasonal.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

John

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
This is very helpful, thank you.

Any idea where wild strawberry guavas might be found growing?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:10 AM »
This is very helpful, thank you.

Any idea where wild strawberry guavas might be found growing?
The whole Puna area, east Hawaii, has strawberry guavas all along the road sides. When you go to Puna check the Island Naturals store in Pahoa. They have mamey sapote, soursop, eggfruit, black sapote, rollinia, and some others
There is a farmer's market in Kona on Saturday early marnings at Keauhou shopping center. Check also the South Kona fruit stand. They have a website.
Oscar

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Thank you.  I'm going for a drive to day to explore a bit and check out some of these places.  I will be on Muai by Saturday so I won't get to see the farmer's market, unfortunately, but perhaps Maui has similar ones.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
The road to Hana has numerous roadside tropical fruit stands. You can do a tropical fruit tour and tasting on Maui at Ono organic farm just past Hana. Loads of banana, durian, jackfruit etc. Also check out Upcountry farmers market in Kula Saturday morning. Go EARLY! The rarest fruit on the island is sold there but it goes quick.
https://www.onofarms.com/tour.html
One more thing...https://www.google.com/search?q=yees+mango&oq=yees+mango&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.4392j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:2909850199296234796,rc_q:Yee's%2520Orchard%2520%2526%2520Fruit%2520Stand,ru_q:Yee's%2520Orchard%2520%2526%2520Fruit%2520Stand
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:51:17 AM by MangoCountry »