Author Topic: lots of ladybugs in my plants eating aphids  (Read 2647 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
lots of ladybugs in my plants eating aphids
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Re: lots of ladybugs in my plants eating aphids
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
Hi Petro, That's one of the Friendly's Bugs to have in your plants, I remember the first time I seen the Aphids on some of my Pepper plants ,I freaked out and started jerking them out, afterwards I started reading and got to understanding how to control them better.

Carlos

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
yeah i know, i had a big problem with aphids and the plants were in a bad condition, but now they start to improve thanks to ladybugs, and they really saved me

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »
Nature's pesticide 😁

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
Used to get these ones before I really started hacking away the jungle... can't remember if they were beneficial or not, forgot the name.

edit.. curiosity got to me this is a ladybug too (แมลงเต่าทอง) , I also get the red black polka dot kind now too, these golden ones more rare now
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:00:30 PM by sahai1 »

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
Not ladybug, but a Golden Tortoise Beetle!, probably from genus Aspidimorpha. They eat plants but are incredible beautiful creatures mimicking poisonous frogs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:49:25 PM by pvaldes »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 04:19:35 PM »
Not ladybug, but a Golden Tortoise Beetle!, probably from genus Aspidimorpha. They eat plants but are incredible beautiful creatures mimicking poisonous frogs.

thank you!  Many thai people had wrongly listed scientific name under Ladybird.  Reading wikipedia entry on this everything makes sense... even Thai translates as "Golden Turtle/Tortoise Bug."  Reading about the predators of the larvae and their diet makes sense why I don't see them anymore.  Their diet of ferns and morning glory has been wiped out mostly, and I have an overpopulation of stink bugs and assassin bugs.

Extremely beautiful, first time I found them figured I had found a miniature alien space ship.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
The larval stages of Ladybirds are the most predaceous on aphids. In order to mature and breed a new generation these larvae become adults and need good pollen sources to mature. If these sources are not available the mature breedrs will fly away from your place. The best and easiest thing you can do to encourage them is to provide habitat with water and small flowering plants of the Apiaceae or Umbelliferae family which have flower heads of small white or yellow. Some of the best are coriander, dill, or fennel which are cheap and easy seeds to come by. Scatter these seeds around and let them re-seed for ladybird and beneficial wasp forage and you also get the benefit of fresh herbs. Sometimes the culinary herb seeds at groceries are not always viable but sometimes they can be quite good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk