Author Topic: Anyone using copper sulfate on their mango trees?  (Read 14949 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Anyone using copper sulfate on their mango trees?
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
In South Florida I'm looking at the rain today and drizzles of the previous four days and probably the next four more days. The mango panicales are out, this moisture is making them susceptible to anthracnose. Copper is supposed to prevent it. The time to apply it would have been before this rainy interlude.

How much is this rain going to hurt 2012 mango production here? Based on what you have seen in previous years.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone using copper sulfate on their mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
Tough to say, but it sure is wet and humid for February.  I started spraying copper last week on my small trees, and I may continue to do so every week or 10 days from now on. 

I am only going to do this on those that are under 10 feet tall or so.  The big ones will have to take care of themselves this year.  No more climbing up a 16 ft ladder with a 4 gallon backpack for me ...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:05:20 AM by Sleepdoc »

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
I have never sprayed my trees and they have always done OK- should I be spraying if there are no signs of disease?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
Tough to say, but it sure is wet and humid for February.  I started spraying copper last week on my small trees, and I may continue to do so every week or 10 days from now on. 

I am only going to do this on those that are under 10 feet tall or so.  The big ones will have to take care of themselves this year.  No more climbing up a 16 ft ladder with a 4 gallon backpack for me ...

What form of copper may I ask? I am about to buy some copper sulfate... Ebay 3lb for $15

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
@natsgarden123 - To spray or not to spray?  If you are happy with your previous fruit quality, then it may not be necessary.  Some cultivars are more suseptible to anthracnose (the most common fungal problem) and therefore the copper is sprayed weekly prior to the onset of symptoms (typically black spotting or streaking) so that perfect looking fruit can be produced.  This is especially important if you intend to sell your fruit or ship it to folks up north.  Another reason is that if the anthracnose hits while it is flowering, you might not get any fruit at all.  If you already have fruit setting and these are just for personal consumption, you may wish to introduce less copper into your soil.

Here is a link for anthracnose images for suseptible cultivars:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mango+anthracnose&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5_QvT_3xH4ji0gHkl7GWCw&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1010&bih=866

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
Should I wait to see if there are any symptoms? I have some young trees also, should i just spray them?
thanks
nat

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
If you wait for symptoms, the copper spray will not make them go away as it is too late.   

What variety(ies) are you growing?  How old are they? How tall are they? What stage are they in? (Not flowering yet, floweres out, small fruit already set)

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
New varieties: all young trees planted within the last few months
Lemon Zest
Baileys Marvel
Valencia Pride
Mallika
Harvest Moon

I have a Fairchild in a Pot

My Carrie has been in the ground over a year ( relatively young)

My other trees are all very big

Nat

natsgarden123

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
Looked this morning and I see the signs of anthracnose on some of my young trees. it is raining. Uh, dumb question, but can I apply the copper if I expect it to rain later in the day? Any help is appreciated. Is it too late if I already see it?

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
Don't spray the copper if it is going to rain later in the day.  It will simply be washed off. 

If you already have anthracnose, spraying will not make the symptoms go away, but spraying would stop it from spreading.  If the anthracnose symptoms are severe on a small plant, I would consider spraying it, otherwise I'd simply leave it alone.  If your plant is mature enough to flower (and you expect it to), then you can spray on a weekly basis starting as soon as you see the terminal buds starting to swell.

If I was going to spray (and I don't normally), this would be the year to do so as we have had a warm, humid winter which increases the likelihood of anthracnose occurring.

natsgarden123

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice :)

I am no expecting  fruit on any of the new  trees but there are some leaves affected and I see some new growth that 'I'm concerned will be affected. 

I do expect the Carrie to have fruit. There is a large amount of new growth and I see  many of the new leaf buds have some brown on them.

Is there a downside to spraying?

thanks
Nat

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
Copper destoys fungus, just like an antibiotic kills all bacteria.. The downside is that not a fungi are bad, some in the soil for instance, are very beneficial and help protect and strengthen root systems and transfer. So by overspaying Cu you may actually hurt the trees root system, not to mention an overload of Cu can be toxic to the plant itself.

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
Patrick , should I post pics?  Im not sure what to do-thanks
nat

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
Copper destoys fungus, just like an antibiotic kills all bacteria.. The downside is that not a fungi are bad, some in the soil for instance, are very beneficial and help protect and strengthen root systems and transfer. So by overspaying Cu you may actually hurt the trees root system, not to mention an overload of Cu can be toxic to the plant itself.

I wonder if anyone has a story of actually hurting their plant by overapplying copper? I'm sort of new to spraying my trees so I can't speak from experience here.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
I wonder if anyone has a story of actually hurting their plant by overapplying copper? I'm sort of new to spraying my trees so I can't speak from experience here.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_pesticide

natsgarden123

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »
Like most things, no one really knows how much copper would actually end up in the fruit.  Copper , for the most part, is not toxic ( hence, copper pipes).
"According to the Soil Association the total copper that can be applied to organic land is 6kg/ha/year.[3]  A HA is approx 2 1/2 acres. So that's about 6 kg per 2.5 acres.  That's a whole lot of copper.

I think Ill post some pics...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Doesn't everybody realize the risks that one takes just by breathing and walking the earth.  ::)
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

If concerned with high copper content in soil and you are growing only a few plants you can easily use a dropcloth or tarp under the tree when spraying. I do this when spraying Potassium chlorate, which is also harmful to soil mrcro organisms.
The thing with spraying copper is that you have to do it all through the flowering cycle, not just once, for it to be effective. So yes you might get a high buildup of copper under the tree. If you use a fine mister on your sprayer and focus on just the flowers, you can reduce the amount dripping into the soil also.
Oscar
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »

Good points.  Not to mention that the copper can be toxic to the person who sprays it!  From the link Murahilin shared, "Such copper compounds can build up in the soil and in excessive concentrations cause liver, kidney and blood disease

If you use a fine mister on your sprayer and focus on just the flowers, you can reduce the amount dripping into the soil also.

This brings another point to mind.  If you are going to spray copper (or most anything else that is a pesticide, fungicide, fertilizer, etc.) please 1. follow the directions on the label and 2. wear protective clothing/gear.  The finer the mist is the more likely you are going to breathe in some of what you are spraying (hint: use a mask).

natsgarden123

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Its been raining every day and its supposed to rain today also. I cant spray anyway. The mango inflorescences are coming out on the carrie ( wow it happened really fast) and they look fine.  The leaves look OK also except for a few areas on the tree.  To spray or not to spray...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Its been raining every day and its supposed to rain today also. I cant spray anyway. The mango inflorescences are coming out on the carrie ( wow it happened really fast) and they look fine.  The leaves look OK also except for a few areas on the tree.  To spray or not to spray...

Not to worry, Nat......Carrie will do fine without spraying.  It will bloom, fruit and take fruit to maturity even if you don't spray.  The fruit might be prettier or more plentiful with spraying, but it is one of the cultivars that can handle things quite well on its own (unless there is a specific problem like sooty mold, etc.)

Harry
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:52:46 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

natsgarden123

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
Thanks  :)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
You should alternate different fungicides.   Copper should definitely be one of the fungicides that you use, but it should not be the only mainstay.

Where copper has been used too often for too long on mango trees in sandy soil, copper accumulations in the soil tie up other nutrients, thus reducing tree health or forcing use of more foliar applications of fertilizer.

"Causes irreparable eye damage"--- wear safety glasses and large face shield when spraying.
Har

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
Some of the old mango groves in Homestead Fl are so contaminated with copper that it's difficult to grow other crops.  Copper does eventually tie up nutrients.  The old timers sprayed 3 times per week during the season for many years!
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
Some of the old mango groves in Homestead Fl are so contaminated with copper that it's difficult to grow other crops.  Copper does eventually tie up nutrients.  The old timers sprayed 3 times per week during the season for many years!

Maybe they should now mine that soil for copper? Copper is very expensive now.  ::)
Oscar