Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 1302 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...this is the tale of three Pickering mangoes I had early this mango season.

The Good:  The first was properly ripened Pickering and was one of the best mangoes I have had so far this year.  It was sweet and creamy...it was very good.  The competition included:   Coconut Cream, Edward, Glenn, and Mahachanok (knocked off of the tree by my dog prematurely and counter ripened, not a fair test).  I may be eating my CC under ripe.

The Bad:  The second, was slightly under ripened.  It was hard and bland... just bad.  It was difficult to believe it was the same variety as the first mango.  Probably two days under-ripe, but it made a world of difference.  This helped me to understand why many members of the forum trash the Pickering.

The Ugly:  This was an over-ripe Pickering...skin was falling off, but I was curious.  It was nasty.

If your first Pickering experience was a disappointment, you might give it another try. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.