Author Topic: The perfect dwarf mango - Villaseņor  (Read 16700 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
The perfect dwarf mango - Villaseņor
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
This is a Socal variety, very underrated, nice flavor.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect dwarf mango - Villaseņor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
From the CRFG, other than dwarf growth habit, doesn't sound that great when the flavor is described as "mild".

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
From the CRFG, other than dwarf growth habit, doesn't sound that great when the flavor is described as "mild".

for Southern California it is, who knows how it performs in Miami.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »

JF,

I always wondering about this one. I would love to try to graft some budwood sometime, now need to find someone with it.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »

JF,

I always wondering about this one. I would love to try to graft some budwood sometime, now need to find someone with it.

La Verne nursery propagates this variety. I'll try to get some wood for you next May.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

For SoCal it is what?  My ling was from the Cali Rare Fruit Council's site...I would think/hope they are reporting info based on California production...in which case, I will reiterate, based on your title calling the perfect dwarf mango, "flavor mild"  sure does not sound "perfect"...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:46:13 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

For SoCal it is what?  My ling was from the Cali Rare Fruit Council's site...I would think/hope they are reporting info based on California production...in which case, I will reiterate, "mild"??

La Verne felt it was worthy to propagate so who cares what CRFG say. We don't like to overhype our tropicals fruits up here in California.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:06:16 PM by JF »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
bsbullie,

I think many people who eat mangoes would not mind a good mild mango with a fiberless texture. I take it this variety is fiberless or close to it?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
bsbullie,

I think many people who eat mangoes would not mind a good mild mango with a fiberless texture. I take it this variety is fiberless or close to it?

it is fiberless Null and you are right most prefer mild over the turpentine flavor.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
J, gorgeous tree.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
J, gorgeous tree.

Equelecua, Cuban007 that's what I meant.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
[urlhttp://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_18930.htm][/url]
Any hint of turps is the kiss of death and it is one of the reasons kent failed so badly here.While it was rejected wholeheartedly by the consumers the ag. authorities only acknowledged a bit of turpsiness near the skin as you can see in the link.Mild is definately better in the eyes of the public than any type of turpentine or hydrocarbon taint.Some of the poorer tasting types are still sent from here to japan where they occupy the bottom of the market.Considering how much area was planted it probably won't take long for kent,keitt,palmer and brooks to be rare in teh market place.The odd thing is that these are highly fancied in other markets.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
Nice looking tree JF!

Mike, mild mangoes are all the rage - R2E2 and Calypso are beautiful nothings that folks will pay through the nose for - though Calypso can be almost excellent in the 2 week period around Christmas, when it has a great coconut-vanilla taste, but its otherwise picked too early and is pretty but bland.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
I think the tree is gorgeous as well. Is that it's natural shape with no tipping?
Once the mango is sweet  ;D  ;D .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »
I agree BMc, both are those are bland but look good but are very cheap in markets like rusty's.Most of the monos are also treated with disdain.The asian poly's are the only ones throwing down the gauntlet to the KP varieties.Each year there are fewer keitts,kents,brooks and palmers and they are getting cheaper.I have not seen those varieties in the supermarkets in a long time as well.Calypsos have not been so much of a success here and R2E2 hold a very small but stable part of the market.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
Where was that picture taken?  Any idea how old it is?

Bill

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
Whatever mango grows as a "dwarf" in Calif is not likely to be "dwarf" in Florida. Even Keitt is considered to semi dwarf in Calif but is a rampant growing monster in FLA. On a quiet night, you can almost here Keitts growing!   
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
Nice looking tree JF!

Mike, mild mangoes are all the rage - R2E2 and Calypso are beautiful nothings that folks will pay through the nose for - though Calypso can be almost excellent in the 2 week period around Christmas, when it has a great coconut-vanilla taste, but its otherwise picked too early and is pretty but bland.

The king of mild mangos, and down right bland, is top selling Tommy Atkins.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »
Whatever mango grows as a "dwarf" in Calif is not likely to be "dwarf" in Florida. Even Keitt is considered to semi dwarf in Calif but is a rampant growing monster in FLA. On a quiet night, you can almost here Keitts growing!   

Yes, you got it! i had a mango i planted in coastal San Diego, and it was very dwarf, because it hardly ever grew at all. When winter came it went totally dormant. I really admire anyone that can fruit mangos in California.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:22 AM »
bsbullie,

it is fiberless Null and you are right most prefer mild over the turpentine flavor.
The opposite of mild in NO way is turpentine.  Very few mangoes grown in Florida have a turpentine flavor and what doesn't are NOT considered mild as a group.  If this is such a terrific mango, why has it not been mentioned before as the "king"?  Also, if you like, and the majority of SoCals like "mild" mangoes, no need to seek out any of these new Zill varieties, including but not limited to Lemon Zest and Coco Cream, as well as Mahachanok and just about every other "wanted" Florida mango cause they sure aren't classified as mild and they are in no way turpentine taste.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:20 AM »

For SoCal it is what?  My ling was from the Cali Rare Fruit Council's site...I would think/hope they are reporting info based on California production...in which case, I will reiterate, "mild"??

La Verne felt it was worthy to propagate so who cares what CRFG say. We don't like to overhype our tropicals fruits up here in California.
Oh please...you, as in Californians, don't hype and overhype your ability to grow Cherimoyas??

Nurseries propagate Tommy Atkins, does that make it a worthy mango for all to have in their yard?
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
Still best to taste before judging.  There's mild and there's mild.

I would consider a Glenn to be on the mild side, but still very good.  Just not excellent.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
Still best to taste before judging.  There's mild and there's mild.

I would consider a Glenn to be on the mild side, but still very good.  Just not excellent.
Glenn is not a good mango to use as a comparison, IMO...Glenns are greatly affected by weather, more specifically water.  I have had Glenns in "good" years that are exceptional with full flavor.  On the other hand, MOST of the Glenns this year were greatly affected by all of the March, April and May rains we had.  I did notice the very last Glenns of the season, the stragglers so to say, had decent flavor.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
Any hint of turps is the kiss of death and it is one of the reasons kent failed so badly here.While it was rejected wholeheartedly by the consumers the ag. authorities only acknowledged a bit of turpsiness near the skin as you can see in the link.Mild is definitely better in the eyes of the public than any type of turpentine or hydrocarbon taint.Some of the poorer tasting types are still sent from here to japan where they occupy the bottom of the market.Considering how much area was planted it probably won't take long for kent,keitt,palmer and brooks to be rare in teh market place.The odd thing is that these are highly fancied in other markets.

What a shame. I like turpy, piney, some call it a medicinal taste in some mangoes. I also like the non-turp magoes which you can call mild I guess.
If people gave turps a chance some would like them too. Kents are turpy? Never entered my mind when I ate them.

For  those who don't know....Mangoes trees are related to pine trees. Turpentine had been made from pine for centuries. So mangoes can get piney tastes and a piney sap that irritates some peoples skin. I always liked the smell of pine floor cleaners

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Any hint of turps is the kiss of death and it is one of the reasons kent failed so badly here.While it was rejected wholeheartedly by the consumers the ag. authorities only acknowledged a bit of turpsiness near the skin as you can see in the link.Mild is definitely better in the eyes of the public than any type of turpentine or hydrocarbon taint.Some of the poorer tasting types are still sent from here to japan where they occupy the bottom of the market.Considering how much area was planted it probably won't take long for kent,keitt,palmer and brooks to be rare in teh market place.The odd thing is that these are highly fancied in other markets.

What a shame. I like turpy, piney, some call it a medicinal taste in some mangoes. I also like the non-turp magoes which you can call mild I guess.
If people gave turps a chance some would like them too. Kents are turpy? Never entered my mind when I ate them.

For  those who don't know....Mangoes trees are related to pine trees. Turpentine had been made from pine for centuries. So mangoes can get piney tastes and a piney sap that irritates some peoples skin. I always liked the smell of pine floor cleaners

???  I thought they were related to poison oak.
Alexi