Author Topic: Is it hard to export tropical fruit trees in the US?  (Read 1326 times)

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
Is it hard to export tropical fruit trees in the US?
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
Hi,

Is it hard to export tropical fruit trees in the US? what if you had an importer in the US?
Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Is it hard to export tropical fruit trees in the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »
Hi Berns,

If you are asking about moving plants from the Philippines to the US, then you will need someone to act as an importer in the U.S.  There is at least one permit required (plant import permit - available from USDA) and possibly a second (quarantine permit) depending on the genus.  The first permit is obtained by filing out an application online (after establishing the recipient's identity) and if the second permit is necessary, a 2-year quarantine (no moving, selling or propagating the quarantined material) as well as a site inspection of the quarantine area are required from the State where the plants will be kept during the quarantine period.  Here in Florida, the State Department of Agriculture comes by every 6 months during the quarantine period to inspect the plants.  Once permit approval is accomplished, the plants must be pathogen-free and pass inspection by the USDA upon arrival.  When I brought in some plants from Thailand a few years back, they inspected every leaf and root on the plants I imported.  If any pathogens are found, the shipment is sent to be treated with some type of gas. 

That was my experience.  Perhaps it is a little different for nurseries, or maybe some on the forum have had different experiences.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Is it hard to export tropical fruit trees in the US?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk