Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106922 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
Ok, right....i thought you would mention the self-fertile quality of the Sunflower.

I think there is some doubt as to whether it truly is self-fertile. That could be part of the issue with the fruits failing.
They got a bit big, so i think it is self-fertile...

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Good deal! You may prove once and for all if it’s  true :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
Just hope so!  ;)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
Here is the bigest forum about pawpaw on Europe: http://www.kiwiforum.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »

I thought my pawpaw was just setting buds for the spring, but this one definitely looks like it's opening now. This tree flowered this spring as well, though only three flowers. Is this normal, and if not, does anyone know why? The spring flowers didn't set fruit.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »

I thought my pawpaw was just setting buds for the spring, but this one definitely looks like it's opening now. This tree flowered this spring as well, though only three flowers. Is this normal, and if not, does anyone know why? The spring flowers didn't set fruit.

I don’t know - that’s interesting.
I can only speculate that perhaps the tree is confused by a lack of chill hours this past winter....?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »
I got them this spring, so I can't say for sure whether they got chill hours last winter, but I'm pretty confident they did.  That one was the biggest and had tiny buds on it, which opened after I planted it. The weather's been cooling off so I think the trees are less stressed, and I did just give them a thin layer of chicken manure, so I can understand why it might seem like a good time to flower if I were a tree, but I didn't think it could just flower whenever. Also it's on this year's growth, so technically this section of the tree didn't get chill hours. Or maybe it doesn't work that way. I don't think I'll get to see if it can hold fruit over the winter though, since this is the only one flowering.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
One of my pawpaws apears to have been eaten by insects which is a bit strange since I thought insects mostly left pawpaws alone due to the compounds in the leaves
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:59:26 PM by coyote »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »
That stinks!
Well, generally they are pretty free from major pests, but yes there are definitely things that eat the leaves.
I don’t know what they are but there are little “worms” that look like tiny twigs that eat the leaves. These can be very hard to find and kill but they like to sometimes dangle off leaves and stems.

Also there are leaf rollers that will roll up parts of leaves with webbing and emerge to eat leaves.

The most well known pawpaw leaf eater is the zebra swallowtail butterfly larva. However, in 3 years growing pawpaws, I’ve never seen one. In the woods I’ve only ever seen one of these caterpillars.

I had similar idea that pawpaws were basically immune, based on things I’d read. But they’re glossing over the truth a bit. I think what these publications are trying to convey is there are no MAJOR pest issues. Like, the things listed above generally are just annoyances, not doing significant damage.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
The leaf rollers/branch webbers do cause major damage.  I observed this in northeastern Alabama.
Har

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the responses...so far only one out of 12 seedling trees is being attacked and I see no sign of a current infestation so I'm just going to roll with it unless I see issues again next year
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:17:26 AM by coyote »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »
The leaf rollers/branch webbers do cause major damage.  I observed this in northeastern Alabama.

I stand corrected. And by way of pure coincidence, a friend in Indiana just mentioned he has "Asimina Web Worm" infestation in a couple of his healthiest trees.
So yes there can be pest and disease issues for sure - don't believe some of the hype that these are miracle trees.
Actually there is a buzz happening this year around pawpaws coming down with Black Spot fungus (like on roses), which seems like a new phenomenon. In fact, some of my young trees got it.
But it's nothing like trying to grow Peaches in Tennessee, where you have to spray constantly for hope of any harvest.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15345.0

In this older thread I see TriangleJohn reported a branch re-flowering in the fall. So, I guess this is not without precedent. Very interesting.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
I just got my new book about asimina triloba: In search about America forgotten fruit. Great book it seams!  ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
I just got my new book about asimina triloba: In search about America forgotten fruit. Great book it seams!  ;D

Cool! Yeah it’s pretty interesting. A lot of it is more like a travel blog but the author seems to have done a great deal of research and weaves that in.
The adventures of Neal Peterson are so intriguing!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »
Jerry Lehman has died
Lounge

alan
7m
Say a prayer of do whatever you do to celebrate the life of a man who contributed much to the improvement of paw-paws and shared his love for them generously.

Just got word from NAFEX of his passing a week after he’d experienced a bad farm accident. I have no details beyond that, except that he was 82 years old, which is still young for a person of the soil.
https://growingfruit.org/t/jerry-lehman-has-died/21284

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
Are we sure this is accurate? Not seeing anything in a google search except someone of the same name who died over a year ago.
Not the same Jerry.

The link you shared requires a log in - can you post any further updates or ....?

If it is true, this is really really terrible news.
Jerry has produced some of the absolute best pawpaws and persimmons in the world.
I was set to receive more pawpaw scions from him this year even.
I’m glad I was able to meet him a few times.
A sad day.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:36:07 PM by Triloba Tracker »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »
I created an account on GrowingFruit.org in an attempt to see the post and discussion but it still will not allow me to access that link.

It seems to be in the "lounge" area of that forum, but that must be invite-only or something. It's not visible to me.

Please post more info if you're able, Luis......thank you

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2019, 05:28:13 PM »
I created an account on GrowingFruit.org in an attempt to see the post and discussion but it still will not allow me to access that link.

It seems to be in the "lounge" area of that forum, but that must be invite-only or something. It's not visible to me.

Please post more info if you're able, Luis......thank you
Hello my friend! Yes i post it because i think it's true...

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Thank you, Luis. Do you know why I can’t access that post on GrowingFruit? I’m logged in...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
I saw an announcement today, of his passing, on Facebook, with a picture of Lehman receiving an award from Pomper.
Har

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
I saw an announcement today, of his passing, on Facebook, with a picture of Lehman receiving an award from Pomper.

Thank you for confirming, Har.

Jerry has some great pawpaw selections that routinely won at the Ohio Festival and other competitions. I hope someone can take up the mantle.

But of course the focus now is on his family in their grief.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
Thank you, Luis. Do you know why I can’t access that post on GrowingFruit? I’m logged in...
Hi! It take some time to get access to everything on forum...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
I think there is some doubt as to whether it truly is self-fertile. That could be part of the issue with the fruits failing.

Sunflower is only partially self-fertile, received a lot of hype because it was the first with this trait and you definitely can obtain a few fruits in an isolated tree, but the presence of a pollinator would make a huge improvement. Prima is the main truly self-fertile variety and notorious for that. Is widely accepted as an "improved sunflower" and it was created as a selection of sunflower seeds in fact.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:28:20 AM by pvaldes »