Author Topic: Abacaxi Pineapple Plant  (Read 2396 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Abacaxi Pineapple Plant
« on: August 28, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Wanted to share with the group the new pineapple plant i will be growing it's called
Abacaxi pineapple. Can't wait to see how it turns out

Abacaxi' (also called 'White Abacaxi of Pernambuco', 'Pernambuco', 'Eleuthera', and 'English') is well known in Brazil, the Bahamas and Florida. The plant is spiny and disease-resistant. Leaves are bluish-green with red-purple tinge in the bud. The numerous suckers need thinning out. The fruit weighs 2.2 to ll lbs (1-5 kg), is tall and straight-sided; sunburns even when erect. It is very fragrant. The flesh is white or very pale yellowish, of rich, sweet flavor, succulent and juicy with only a narrow vestige of a core. This is rated by many as the most delicious pineapple. It is too tender for commercial handling, and the yield is low. The fruit can be harvested without a knife; breaks off easily for marketing fresh.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:09:02 PM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Abacaxi Pineapple Plant
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
That sounds like a great variety for backyard growers. Hopefully it’s as good as the report makes it out to be. Let us know what you think when you get fruit from it!

Simon

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »
Abacaxi is the best pineapple I've ever tried.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:32:21 PM »

That's awesome I can't wait to try it out myself. So where did you get some from?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:25 PM »
I think I will grow this plant in the house till next spring don't wanna take a chance of losing it during winter

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »

That's awesome I can't wait to try it out myself. So where did you get some from?

A very generous friend who lives a few streets away from me.  I'll have to ask him where he got them originally next time I see him.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:55 AM »
It sounds like the one unknown variety I grow and I really liked the fruit. The best tasting very juicy.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
update: Abacaxi pineapple plant getting bigger it was started from Tissue culture

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
  Did you know why is it called  " White Abacaxi of Pernambuco" ? In the past century there were shiploads of this variety of Pineapple being shipped from the Port of Recife - Capital of the State of Pernambuco to Florida (USA) and other countries like Argentina.  This variety  is extremely sweet with white pulp. The fruit form is more conical compared to other "barrel" shaped pineapples.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
  Did you know why is it called  " White Abacaxi of Pernambuco" ? In the past century there were shiploads of this variety of Pineapple being shipped from the Port of Recife - Capital of the State of Pernambuco to Florida (USA) and other countries like Argentina.  This variety  is extremely sweet with white pulp. The fruit form is more conical compared to other "barrel" shaped pineapples.

Thanks for Sharing that info about it

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
I read that sugarloaf pineapples are abacaxi pineapple or derivation. 
Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
I really, really enjoyed the abacaxi I found at a store, but not even close to the best pineapple I have eaten, best I have eaten had honey oozing from between the segments.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:57 PM »
I really, really enjoyed the abacaxi I found at a store, but not even close to the best pineapple I have eaten, best I have eaten had honey oozing from between the segments.
Abacaxi pineapples are very sweet, and if you grow them you’ll love the fact that they are resistant to disease. They weigh from two to 11 pounds and are considered some of the tastiest types of pineapples, although they are a little too soft to use for commercial purposes. Abacaxi pineapples are spiny and tall, and they have juicy flesh that is white and nearly translucent in color.

The reason that they are rarely used commercially is that they do not ship well, due to the fact that they are extremely fragile. There are also different types of Abacaxi pineapples, including the Montufar, which is very yellow in color and extremely juicy, and the Sugarloaf variety, which is round or conical in shape and has a tender but rich flesh. In fact, Black Jamaica is actually derived from the Sugarloaf pineapple, so the Abacaxi pineapples come in several different varieties.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »
The one I bought at the store was quite nice, roughly 5 pounds and very sweet, I planted the top and the offspring didn't size up or sweeten up, it was mild and watery, even with the soft texture.

Still, the store bought fruit was severely lacking in aroma, acidity and brix (in that order) compared to the one I tried on the back side of Maui.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
Abacaxi Pineapple Plant
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »
Abacaxi Pineapple that was started from Tissue culture getting bigger once spring gets here i will put it outside.... sorry if photo doesn't look so good i have it under an Led grow light