Author Topic: Removing Nishikawa and Brogdon avocado trees . Need suggestions for replacements  (Read 2513 times)

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
Here's the story . About 4 years ago had my gardener pick me up a cado tree . When asked what type it was he didn't remember . Started reading on here about varieties and landed up purchasing a Nisikawa , Oro negro , and a Brogdon . years latter here is where i'm at . Don't like the Brogdon , seed too big , hard to peel a real PITA . So out it comes . The unknown tree lands up being another Nishikawa , What are the chances . Since i only have room for 4 i don't want to Nish's so out one comes . That leaves me with one Nish and an ON (which finally started bearing fruit this year ) Unfortunately they both bear fruit around the same time (holidays) .

So what i'm looking for is 2 trees that bear differently from what I have . After hours of reading i'm settling in on a Day and the other either Catalina , Simmons or Holiday . Would like any input . Located in SW fl. Naples area .

Also anyone in the Naples area that wants a Brogdon or Nish can have them if they want to dig them out .

mike

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile

the tall one is the Nish . About 9ft tall . The short one is the Brogdon . It broke off in the hurricane but is growing back fast . About 4ft tall .

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
You should top work the trees since they already have established root systems.  It will make them grow way faster than replanting.
Brad Spaugh

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Good looking trees.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:16:12 PM by chad6159 »

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
dont know how

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Definitely top work. Easy to learn.
Jeff  :-)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
dont know how

you basically cut a green stick (scion) then cut into the bark of your tree and then jam the stick into that cut. Then you wrap it in some grafting tape and bob's your uncle

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
I would chainsaw the trees down to a stump then graft 3 or 4 of the water shoots that come off the stump.
Brad Spaugh

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Topworking is easy to learn - I learned by watching this guy's videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqTfCGTcJnU. I've successfully topworked two trees learning from videos. For beginners, instead of just grafting 3-4 shoots, graft onto more shoots (like 10 or more), since they won't all take. Once the grafts take or don't and have started growing you can trim away those that didn't take. If you had good luck and they all took, then reduce down to the best 3-4.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Here's the story . About 4 years ago had my gardener pick me up a cado tree . When asked what type it was he didn't remember . Started reading on here about varieties and landed up purchasing a Nisikawa , Oro negro , and a Brogdon . years latter here is where i'm at . Don't like the Brogdon , seed too big , hard to peel a real PITA . So out it comes . The unknown tree lands up being another Nishikawa , What are the chances . Since i only have room for 4 i don't want to Nish's so out one comes . That leaves me with one Nish and an ON (which finally started bearing fruit this year ) Unfortunately they both bear fruit around the same time (holidays) .

So what i'm looking for is 2 trees that bear differently from what I have . After hours of reading i'm settling in on a Day and the other either Catalina , Simmons or Holiday . Would like any input . Located in SW fl. Naples area .

Also anyone in the Naples area that wants a Brogdon or Nish can have them if they want to dig them out .

mike

Hi Mike - Nice speaking with you yesterday.  Id be happy to come dig them up if that's the route you want to go :) Otherwise your welcome to see how I topwork mango tomorrow night.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:39:34 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Miss carlos on the forum.Just the best avocado grower.At least we have his videos.

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
worth a try . Watched some videos and think i can do this . Now the question is where can i buy the scions to do it ?  looking for day , simmons and catalina

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
King happy you for sure can pull it off with some practice. Don't remove the trees and lose the growth and start anew. Watch some videos on You tube like from Chris at Truly Tropical...she has great grafting videos. I started last year cutting my thumbs and my fingers with very little success then i got very good at it with practicing on citrus all summer. The key is a sharp knife or blade to make clean smooth cuts. Order some Buddy tape and parafilm from Amazon. I got my knife/ utility blade thingy from the dollar store along with paks of disposable blades to switch out when they get dull. I just grafted 10 scions on my Unproductive guava 2 weeks ago and 4 already have taken. Oh, also get some rubber bands to hold the scions together and then wrap the rubber band over with the Buddy tape
to protect from drying out / getting loose from the sun exposure. Use the parafilm to wrap your scions. This has worked for me 95 - 97% of the times. I now graft apples / peaches/ figs  with this system and cleft grafting is all i know how to do lol. Good luck ,you will be great at it with practice ....then you will be addicted to grafting lol!

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
i'm actually getting excited about trying . Thanks for the encouragement .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk