Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940709 times)

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #950 on: December 05, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »
Maybe you guys should try some of the top 10 Dragon Fruits from CA's tier list... Cebra ranked number 1 with a brix of about 19 I think.

Cebra is the 2nd from left.

I will let you know which one i like the best. :P

Nice cuttings! Good luck with them.

Rtreid

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 05, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Any idea on what variety this may be? It seems like its a renamed Edgar selection of Condor? http://www.rareseeds.com/edgar-s-baby-dragon-fruit-pre-order/?F_Keyword=dragon

I'm with you on this Null.  The green color of the skin sure reminds me of Condor. Are there any others that have that green skin when ripe?

Richard

Rtreid

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 05, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
Ricshaw how do we read that info?

Heat tolerance for example is that specific for California or Florida? It would be easyier if they just mentioned the recommended temperatures. Same for cold hardiness or how much sun they like to get.

Cebra has heat tolerance of 3.5
I have no idea if i can put this one in full sun or better find another spot.

I think i will first clone them and then use the trial and error way of finding the best spot for each one.

Bangkok,

My 2 cents on this is that with the exception of Purple Haze, all of the plants you have are pretty equal as far as sun tolerance goes.  Most of mine (the oldest) are placed against a south facing fence and get full sun on the tops with variable amounts of shade  (some to none) at their feet. They all do very well where they are, with a bit of sun bleaching (the light green stems) but strong healthy growth.  The exception in Purple Haze which I have found to sunburn VERY easily.  I had mine in a semi shaded location for a few years where it grew spectacularly.  Last spring I moved it to s sunnier location and when summer came around it kept getting sunburn and rot until I lost half the plant. It is a shame and I need to move it since it is one of my favorite  Hylocereus.

That said, I am in coastal Southern CA and have a very mild climate with lots of fog and overcast days to minimize sun exposure.  My recollection of Thailand is hot with very intense sun, so all of your might benefit from some sun protection.

Richard

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 05, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
Just figured I would add, I picked up a zamorano DF from Mike at trees n more in palm city fl. I picked it up about a month ago then broke it up into pieces to multiply it. Already some new nubs are starting to grow (not pictured). I have sampled one before, blood red flesh and very tasty, not a DF connoisseur but it was way better than the white fleshed ones I have tried from the local grocery stores which even those I enjoyed and they were bland in comparison.

Also, is anyone growing haileys comet and does it live up to the description on PIN DF variety veiwer?  http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/index.htm  I like their description as being large, and also a pretty pink flesh, if I get another DF it might be Halley's Comet.

-joep450

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #954 on: December 05, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
Also, is anyone growing haileys comet and does it live up to the description on PIN DF variety veiwer?  http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/index.htm  I like their description as being large, and also a pretty pink flesh, if I get another DF it might be Halley's Comet.

-joep450

Halley's Comet and Delight are two of my favorites from tasting.  So much, that back in 2011, I decided that they were the two DF I was going to mainly grow for fruit.

I planted four Halley's Comet cuttings in 2011 and four Delight cuttings in 2012.  Plants look great, but nether are producing fruit yet.

Now I find out that Delight, Halley's Comet, and Physical Graffiti are very closely related (DNA testing) hybrids.

So my point is if you think you might like Halley's Comet...  you can't go wrong with Halley's Comet, or Delight, or Physical Graffiti.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 05, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
Ricshaw how do we read that info?

Heat tolerance for example is that specific for California or Florida? It would be easyier if they just mentioned the recommended temperatures. Same for cold hardiness or how much sun they like to get.

Cebra has heat tolerance of 3.5
I have no idea if i can put this one in full sun or better find another spot.

I think i will first clone them and then use the trial and error way of finding the best spot for each one.

Bangkok,

My 2 cents on this is that with the exception of Purple Haze, all of the plants you have are pretty equal as far as sun tolerance goes.  Most of mine (the oldest) are placed against a south facing fence and get full sun on the tops with variable amounts of shade  (some to none) at their feet. They all do very well where they are, with a bit of sun bleaching (the light green stems) but strong healthy growth.  The exception in Purple Haze which I have found to sunburn VERY easily.  I had mine in a semi shaded location for a few years where it grew spectacularly.  Last spring I moved it to s sunnier location and when summer came around it kept getting sunburn and rot until I lost half the plant. It is a shame and I need to move it since it is one of my favorite  Hylocereus.

That said, I am in coastal Southern CA and have a very mild climate with lots of fog and overcast days to minimize sun exposure.  My recollection of Thailand is hot with very intense sun, so all of your might benefit from some sun protection.

Richard

Thanks Richard, then i soon have a perfect spot for them where they get full sun untill 12-13:00 pm and can grow in full soil (above a drain pipe).
The purple haze will get some extra protection.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 05, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
But does closely related with DNA equate to similar taste?
Brad

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 05, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion about having a White-fleshed variety for pollination of other varieties that are not self-pollinating.  Are there different types to choose from with similar results or does one, say, 'giant vietnamese' perform far better in terms of pollen availability than others?

Or a simpler way to put it may be: what is the best DF selection to grow for this purpose? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 06, 2014, 12:40:50 AM »
Any idea on what variety this may be? It seems like its a renamed Edgar selection of Condor? http://www.rareseeds.com/edgar-s-baby-dragon-fruit-pre-order/?F_Keyword=dragon

I'm with you on this Null.  The green color of the skin sure reminds me of Condor. Are there any others that have that green skin when ripe?

Richard

Yes. Colored flowering varieties will often produce green skinned fruit.

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 08, 2014, 04:58:09 AM »
I have a question for you guys, I was given a cutting from a friend at work about 8 months ago, I plant it in a small pot and maybe one month or two later the pot is full of roots so I go to a bigger size, maybe another month or so and the roots have filled the pot again so I step it up to a bigger pot.

All this time the cutting does not grow, just makes roots. I bought another cutting from a nursery and it doubled in size in one month, meanwhile this other cutting still does nothing. I get mad and cut its head off to try and get it to grow, still nothing....

Now I see it is sending up a sucker I guess you call it, its a bit hard to see in the photo.

So what should I do with this plant?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 08, 2014, 06:00:16 AM »
I have a question for you guys, I was given a cutting from a friend at work about 8 months ago, I plant it in a small pot and maybe one month or two later the pot is full of roots so I go to a bigger size, maybe another month or so and the roots have filled the pot again so I step it up to a bigger pot.

All this time the cutting does not grow, just makes roots. I bought another cutting from a nursery and it doubled in size in one month, meanwhile this other cutting still does nothing. I get mad and cut its head off to try and get it to grow, still nothing....

Now I see it is sending up a sucker I guess you call it, its a bit hard to see in the photo.

So what should I do with this plant?

you planted it upside down.

Waterfall

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »

The spikes are meant to point up aren't they?

Here is a close up before I chopped its head off.

Waterfall

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »
I took another photo today, it looks like there are a few new dragonfruit coming up.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 09, 2014, 11:40:26 AM »

I don't think it is upside down.

I think the "sucker growth" is interesting.  Something I have not seen except on one plant which I assumed was a seedling.

I can tell you that it is not uncommon for some cuttings to take off and start growing new growth right away, and other cuttings to do nothing for months.

My advice is to be patient.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
Also, start with a smaller pot so it'll start top growth sooner. This is not based on facts but on my own twisted logic that if it can't grow down, it must grow up.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 10, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
Maybe try putting some fertilizer in the pot and see if it kicks it into high gear. I agree, the sucker growth is totally odd/interesting. Also it is not planted upside down because the spines are pointed upward, but this it confusing because the top seems to have scabbed over as if it may have been cut. When your received this cutting were both ends cut?

-joep450

Waterfall

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
I cut the top off after waiting 8 months for it to do nothing. It looks like the bigger of the 3 suckers is growing very fast now so I might just let it go. I'm only really growing this one to cross pollinate my yellow, red and purple varieties.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
http://www.abundancetradinggroup.com/jackfruit-harvesting/

If you have a Daiso shop near (from Japan) then they sell solid green gardening poles which are great for garden structures.

I bought all of them and will build a nice dragonfruit trellis from them. They come in all sizes and are cheap like everything in Daiso.

Also they sell plantclips to connect a plant/tree to the stick, very easy to adjust when the tree grows. I like everything easy and longlasting ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:27:00 PM by bangkok »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 11, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
I use these plants poles.  They are great!

I can't imagine them supporting a mature Dragon Fruit plant.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 11, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Ricshaw that is not 1 dragonfruitcactus  but many together.

But even that those poles can handle. If you want the shape like on the pic then build a wigwam tent from the poles.

My plan is to build an extended wigwam tent from 4-5 metre long. Add more poles if it isn't strong enough or use double poles. Maybe even connect the whole trellis to a wall or tree or whatever is near.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
This is what I did. I may do something else to make it work. I was thinking to add one more tomato cage but upside down and bend the legs in shape of umbrella. Not sure though.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
Yes i thought of something like that. You have the same poles from Daiso i guess.

I thought of 3 wigwam posts and inbetween horizontal poles on different levels. If it ain't strong enough to carry the weight then i can add extra poles as posts.

I 'm still thinking to cover the poles in coconut-fibre so the cactus has something to root in. But that also might attract mosquito's so i'm not sure about it yet.

How old are your poles now? Do they really last long in full sun? I bought those poles because they can't rot and look good. I 'm planning to support all my tree's with these poles as soon as daiso has new stock.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 12, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
This poles are about 8 months old but I also have some that are 2years old now and they are doing ok.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
This is ok temporarily, but you will need something much stronger than those sticks to support mature vines that weigh hundreds of pounds.  Check back in this thread for some good examples/ideas.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
I shared Simon's S. Megalanthus hybrids pdf link, on his Awesome Yellow Dragonfruit hybrids thread, with a CRFG friend.

My friend sent back an interesting related PowerPoint pdf. Check it out.
http://www.agrimaroc.net/cactus-congress/s22-%20Pitahayas%20introduction%20agrotechniques%20and%20breeding.pdf
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:55:06 PM by ricshaw »