Author Topic: Plan to revive US navel orange sales  (Read 1357 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Plan to revive US navel orange sales
« on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
The demand for navel oranges has declined in recent years, but the chairman of the board of Sun Pacific Growers, the second-largest grower of navels in the U.S. said Wednesday that efforts are underway to boost their popularity. Consumers’ declining interest in navel oranges has been growing in the U.S. market, which has been partially offset by higher interest by consumers overseas,
The navel orange industry is being cannibalized by the clementine, a variety of the smaller, easy-peal mandarins eclipsing the navels in popularity. Sun Pacific Growers should know, as the company grows and markets mandarins, most notably those marketed under the Cuties brand name that has become so popular that Sun Pacific officials say it has become the most popular fruit in America. And most Cuties are grown in the Central Valley, including Tulare County. Still, officials with Sun Pacific — which grows, packages and markets citrus and other fruits — want to shore up their navel orange sales, which have declined in popularity about 15 percent over the past 10 or 15 years. To that end, Sun Pacific inspectors launched an experimental program six years ago that involved inspectors going out to navel groves to test batches of fruit to determine their sweetness and installing infrared sensors in packing houses that also can measure sugar content in the fruit.
Millet

Personal Note:  I have  not purchased navel oranges in quite some time. However, I do purchase Clementine when my tree is out of seasonal production.  What has been the buying practice of other members on this board?

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Plan to revive US navel orange sales
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:33:55 AM »
I still eat a lot of navel oranges and Cara Cara, but I love to eat the various blood oranges when I can find them.  I also buy mandarins and satsuma when I can find them.  Fortunately many more stores are selling more kinds of citrus and I am always looking for something different to try.  I am in NJ though so the stores don't often have more unusual kinds besides the unnamed cuties types, navel and valencias.  I like to buy organic when I can find them.  Sometimes the stores now carry Meyer Lemons and Key limes and kumquat varieties although rarely.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:18:37 AM »
I never buy citrus, I have a tango tangerine, honey mandarin, Cara Cara orange, blood orange, Valencia orange, Mexican lime, Australian finger lime, and Meyer lemon trees... Looking to get pommelo.

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
I rarely buy California navel oranges anymore because the vast majority just don't taste good.  That being said, California oranges can taste sublime if cultivation practices are appropriate.  I have tasted some navel oranges from high quality California producers that just knocked my socks off.  Clearly most producers cut corners.  I am not sure if it is under watering, under fertilizing, winter freeze damage, or some other factor however most California producers have stabbed themselves in the foot by producing an inferior product.  It is the same with mandarins.  The mandarins I grow in my yard are wonderful, and I don't even live in a prime citrus growing region.  Mandarins from the store are more often than not dry and tasteless.

-Brett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk