Author Topic: co2 death chamber  (Read 4917 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
co2 death chamber
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »
I just bought my first live live trap and I need a way to humanely dispose of the little buddies. My neighbor is starting to complain about possums even though I don't have much fruit at the moment. I live in a deed restricted neighborhood and I am trying to keep my neighbors happy. I can't use my guns due to the close proximity to the neighbors. Right now I am thinking about making a co2 gas chamber. I would like to put them down as humanely as possible. Does anyone have experience with these? Any tips? Something like these.

-Josh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: co2 death chamber
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
That looks like something out of nazi germany.  Use a bb gun or a 22 with powderless super calibri shells.  They don't make any noise.  If you were a possum on death row how would you want to go out?  Gas chamber or firing squad?
Brad Spaugh

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
The little .22 CB shorts they sell at Walmart are actually quieter than my pellet gun. I wouldn't hesitate to use it to dispatch a varmint even in a densely packed neighborhood.
Dom

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
We have been using a rabbit sized have a heart trap baited with a scoop of peanut butter.  Once a squirrel is caught, it is relocated. 

What about a motion activated water sprayer?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009F1R0GC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498870900&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=water+animal+motion&dpPl=1&dpID=41PWNXrYVGL&ref=plSrch

Brad
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:02:48 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »
What are you trying to get rid of? Possums? They are generally harmless. It's the rats and the squirrels that do the most damage.
Jeff  :-)

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »
co2 causes severe respiratory distress (In severe hypercapnia (generally PaCO2 greater than 10 kPa or 75 mmHg), symptomatology progresses to disorientation, panic, hyperventilation, convulsions, unconsciousness, and eventually death.).

Nitrogen or helium would be much kinder if you need to pursue this method (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation).

This publication has a discussion of all kinds of euthanasia... http://icwdm.org/PDF's/AVMA2007report.pdf. It notes the best method depends on the animal. And this one details the co2 method.....
http://icwdm.org/wildlife/euthanasia/Carbondioxide.aspx
A whack on the head is noted as a good method if you can execute it effectively. It is also listed as not recomended.... go figure!

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:06:59 AM »
Co2 seems pretty cruel.  Why don't you just take them out someplace and turn them loose?  I have a favorite spot in a brushy area a few blocks away where I take all the mice I catch in my greenhouse.

Carolyn

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
I would not kill possums unless the situation is really bad. They are one of the few marsupials in America. Turn them loose a few miles away. Tarp in the trunk of your car due to possibly pissing or shitting. With problem rats, mice, squirrels you drown them.

You will get bitten and scratched trying to transfer a possum into your CO2 gas chamber.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:07:07 AM by zands »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
I would not kill possums unless the situation is really bad. They are one of the few marsupials in America. Turn them loose a few miles away. Tarp in the trunk of your car due to possibly pissing or shitting. With problem rats, mice, squirrels you drown them.

You will get bitten and scratched trying to transfer a possum into your CO2 gas chamber.

I think the idea with the chamber was to build it to accommodate the whole trap.

I'll also second the notion that I am pretty well opposed to killing possums. Those things devour ticks and besides being kind of gnarly looking don't really hurt much.

You know how you get crazy panicky when you try and hold your breath as long as you can? Rising CO2 levels are a big part of the sensation of needing to take a breath, and killing an animal with CO2 is a pretty inhumane gas choice in my book.
Dom

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
I have not tried these methods.

The silent killer is typically considered carbon Monoxide CO (not carbon dioxide CO2).

However, it appears that purification of exhaust gas is seldom done by the do it your selfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKThqClMugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

If a rodent were caught in a cage, one could simply put a plastic tarp, visqueen, polyethylene plastic sheeting   etc. over the cage and supply an exhaust source under the tarp (cheaper than buying that huge device above).

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:22:52 AM by palmcity »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »
Heightened CO2 induces panic attacks in people, and similar symptoms in animals. I agree, let the opossums live, and do not kill with CO2.

I've been dealing with a squirrel problem. Have come close to going to war with them, but have instead been trying to appease them with other treats. Moved my bird feeders away from my fruit trees, and fill them with a good blend that birds and squirrels really seem to like. As long as they are stocked, not much fruit loss due to squirrels. If they get empty, the squirrels go after more fruit. Have also tied some Irish Spring soap bars to a couple of trees, along with pandan leaves, which they do not like. If I had a few cats, doubt there would be much of a problem.   

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
You won't  be able to choose between critters and may end up killing a pet

I was having problems with possums and coons so I got  the have a heart and relocated 10 coons and 11 possums

Then I found out transporting a live coon is against the law

Then I got a golden retriever that takes a dump like a camel and no more visitors

Get a dog they work great

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »

I was having problems with possums and coons so I got  the have a heart and relocated 10 coons and 11 possums

Then I got a golden retriever that takes a dump like a camel and no more visitors

Yeah, cats would most likely investigate that...then you may be dealing with animal control and/or the men who drive around with lights on top of their cars. 
- Rob

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
I have not tried these methods.

The silent killer is typically considered carbon Monoxide CO (not carbon dioxide CO2).

However, it appears that purification of exhaust gas is seldom done by the do it your selfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKThqClMugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA
If a rodent were caught in a cage, one could simply put a plastic tarp, visqueen, polyethylene plastic sheeting   etc. over the cage and supply an exhaust source under the tarp (cheaper than buying that huge device above).
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, when winter comes again there is an increased risk of deaths in homes from combustion of Vehicles in garages, heaters (not ventilated outside the home), gas grills used in garages and also not ventilated outside. Unfortunately we humans do not realize we are dying and CO is too tightly bound to hemoglobin to allow O2 to enter the blood stream and a  sleeping death often occurs from ex. running a car in a garage.

50 seconds into the youtube video   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmgIqVwytwA
   or    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRn_sONIrRI

So now you know a answer concerning animal cruelity if using combustion from gas engines etc. === yes or no. Many human animals have been pulled out and revived from a garage with vehicle running and they usually say no except for a slight headache occasionally and were unaware of the gas usually.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:52:01 AM by palmcity »

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
I guess I will just relocate them for now. I like having animals in the yard as long as they aren't eating lots of fruit. I don't mind sharing one or two. I have dogs on all sides of me. Every neighbor. The neighbor that said something was complaining about possums in their yard and the dog wants to play with it and eat it's poo. I like the idea of running a car exhaust pipe to a chamber if it comes down to it.

Is it definitely illegal to relocate raccoons in Florida? The paper I was reading mentioned the release site needed to be 40 acres and you needed to have written permission from the owner. What about possums?

What are you trying to get rid of? Possums? They are generally harmless. It's the rats and the squirrels that do the most damage.

The neighbors. Unfortunately they keep declining my invitation to get in the chamber.

Yeah, cats would most likely investigate that...then you may be dealing with animal control and/or the men who drive around with lights on top of their cars. 

I would trap the animal and put the whole cage in a vessel so I would be able to release non targets.

-Josh

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:16 PM »
CO2 for killin animals is not humane.

in biomedical research involving animals, this is consider one of the less humane methods of euthanizing animals.

also, babies of some small mammals are able to tolerate long periods of CO2 without dying. CO2 euthanasia is disallowed for baby mice in biomedical research.

DocFruitFly

• Palmetto, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
Nature's method for killing prey usually involves biting the neck to crush the esophagus or sever the jugular. You could try that.

But in Florida it is illegal to relocate "nuisance wildlife" without jumping through a bunch of hoops and animal control won't do it either. You can pay a pest removal company to relocate it for you for about $80. I've always heard that CO2 was the preferred method, but apparently that's not the case. Helium would work and make them have funny voices as a bonus, but it's pretty expensive.

Guess I'll just stick with the .22

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
Nitrogen dioxide aka hippy crack would be way kinder, they would go out in a head buzz opposed to co2 which triggers the body's 'I'm choking to death, I need air' response. Nitrous oxide you just get light headed then pass out as it replaces the oxygen you breath in and doesn't give any type of choking response.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
Nitrogen dioxide aka hippy crack would be way kinder, they would go out in a head buzz opposed to co2 which triggers the body's 'I'm choking to death, I need air' response. Nitrous oxide you just get light headed then pass out as it replaces the oxygen you breath in and doesn't give any type of choking response.

Just make sure they sit down when they take it or they can fall on their face and break their teeth.  :)  yeah I have seen a few grateful dead concerts when i was younger.
Brad Spaugh

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
Why not a bucket of water that the trap fits into?  This takes care of squirrels/rates/mice in a very few seconds. ThisCO2 contraption seems way too complicated. (and relocating your trapped rodents elsewhere shows zero consideration of the people in that vicinity).
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

Just make sure they sit down when they take it or they can fall on their face and break their teeth.  :)  yeah I have seen a few grateful dead concerts when i was younger.

lmao, saw that once at a Dead show; guy fell straight on his face. Walking through the crowd of campers outside the Omni hours later; same guy, bloody face, going at another balloon. Hilarious. Not a good learner.

I can see it now, lure all the pesky critters down to your hippy animal concert and then do your dirty work.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
That looks like something out of nazi germany.  Use a bb gun or a 22 with powderless super calibri shells.  They don't make any noise.  If you were a possum on death row how would you want to go out?  Gas chamber or firing squad?

Firing squad assuming that death was instantly.

Will a BB gun and/or powderless 22 shell kill a possum instantly?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
If the animal is already trapped then it should be easy to make a clean kill.  Obviously you need a decent power bb/pellet gun.  Powderless 22 to the head will definitely put out a possum quickly.  Just don't expect it to fall over and drop dead like in the movies.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk