Author Topic: 2 more Mangos  (Read 5030 times)

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
2 more Mangos
« on: June 25, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »
Hi,
I have 2 more spots for larger Mango trees to add to my collection. I sort of narrowed it down to: Seacrest, Cac (same as Cat Chu), Orange Sherbet and Sweet Tart. I haven't tasted either one yet.
I like firm, fiberless with a good balance of sweet and tart flavors. From the ones I have in production I like Glenn, Edward and LZ best, not a big fan of Nam Doc Mai (too sweet) and Carrie (too soft). Any advice?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: 2 more Mangos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
Sweet tart is a nice mango, delicious but fruit is small, not very productive.
Seacrest I have heard really good things about it and seems to be a good producer.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:45:58 AM »
Sweet Tart is not always small and some trees are very productive.  Its variable.  Flesh is fiber free but on the soft side.  Taste is outstanding.

Orange Sherbet fruit is sweet and a tad smaller in size than LZ.  Texture is a touch on the softer side and can have a slight propensity for jelly seed in certain locations (should be able to be controlled with calcium).

Cac, also goes by Coc from certain nursery(ies), has an excellent complex flavor profile.  Its sweet but not oversweet.  Out if these four, it has the most firm flesh.

Seacrest has melting flesh with a classic mango flavor profile.  The most boring of them all.  Production appears to be average to slightly above average.

You may want to consider Son Pari or Phoenix.
- Rob

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Son Pari sounds interesting. Any idea where to get it? Excalibur, Pine Island and Als' fruit trees in Homestead don't have them.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
Son Pari sounds interesting. Any idea where to get it? Excalibur, Pine Island and Als' fruit trees in Homestead don't have them.

Check with forum member skhan (he is in Broward County and had a 7 gal for sale not that long ago), Tropical Acres (West Palm Beach), Truly Tropical (Delray Beach).
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
Thanks Rob,

I have one as a 7 gal.
Recently had to trim it back a bit because it was falling over on its weight.
It should flush back out in a few weeks.

PM for details

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
Sweet Tart is not always small and some trees are very productive.  Its variable.  Flesh is fiber free but on the soft side.  Taste is outstanding.

Orange Sherbet fruit is sweet and a tad smaller in size than LZ.  Texture is a touch on the softer side and can have a slight propensity for jelly seed in certain locations (should be able to be controlled with calcium).

Cac, also goes by Coc from certain nursery(ies), has an excellent complex flavor profile.  Its sweet but not oversweet.  Out if these four, it has the most firm flesh.

Seacrest has melting flesh with a classic mango flavor profile.  The most boring of them all.  Production appears to be average to slightly above average.

Which varieties come closest to sweet tarts taste but have better flesh to seed ratio?
I read that Cac is wildly vigors is that true? I have only tasted one but i really like flavor and it had a lot of flesh.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »

Great info!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »

Great info!
It's great to have Rob back as a regular contributor with his extensive knowledge!  8)  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:07:41 AM by johnb51 »
John

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »

Which varieties come closest to sweet tarts taste but have better flesh to seed ratio?
I read that Cac is wildly vigors is that true? I have only tasted one but i really like flavor and it had a lot of flesh.

Personally I think Venus has a similar flavor to Sweet Tart.  They're different for sure but there's close flavors too.   I'd say there's a bit more citrus component in Sweet Tart and Venus leans more to the classic mango taste.  Venus is top tier imo.  There have been reports of MBBS susceptibility, but I haven't seen it on my tree yet (knock on wood). In any case, Venus mangos are large so you get a much better flesh to seed ratio.

Cecilove supposedly tastes pretty close to Sweet Tart (I haven't tried yet).  Squam knows much more about the flesh to seed ratio and flavor profile too.  I believe he said early reports are it flowers easier than Sweet Tart too.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 09:05:52 AM »
Kathy aka K3 aka Kryptonite (let ut be kniwn it should only be called Kathy by name and K3 by number) and P22 have similarities to Sweet Tart, all by way of its parent ZINC, except they lack that "tart" or zing that Sweet Tart has (depending on stage of ripeness). 

Bottom line, if you want to excellent flavor of Sweet Tart, grow Sweet Tart.  So the seed is a little larger, does that make it bad?  If it does, grow a Tommy Atkins cause you obviously arent concerned  about taste.  Dont cut off your nose to spite your face..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:37:43 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »

Personally I think Venus has a similar flavor to Sweet Tart.  They're different for sure but there's close flavors too.   I'd say there's a bit more citrus component in Sweet Tart and Venus leans more to the classic mango taste.  Venus is top tier imo.  There have been reports of MBBS susceptibility, but I haven't seen it on my tree yet (knock on wood). In any case, Venus mangos are large so you get a much better flesh to seed ratio.

Cecilove supposedly tastes pretty close to Sweet Tart (I haven't tried yet).  Squam knows much more about the flesh to seed ratio and flavor profile too.  I believe he said early reports are it flowers easier than Sweet Tart too.

Venus is not that similar in taste to Sweet Tart.   It shares the parent and possible uneven ripening but it stands out for being prone to MBBS. I will agree it bears more of the classic mango taste profile and shape which may be from its possible pollen donor, Beverly.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »

Venus is not that similar in taste to Sweet Tart.   It shares the parent and possible uneven ripening but it stands out for being prone to MBBS. I will agree it bears more of the classic mango taste profile and shape which may be from its possible pollen donor, Beverly.

Thank you very much Sir! This is exactly the information I was trying to extract😊 Hopefully someone who's tasted Cecilove will be kind enough to share their thoughts on taste and tartness level. From what I've read I have the impression that Phoenix is a light or shy bearer can you shed any informational light on productivity of this variety? Acquiring minds want to know for hobbyist grafting purposes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:16:49 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
Venus and Sweet Tart are completely different in flavor, and other respects as well.

Sweet Tart is superior in flavor, especially if you like a lil sour with your sweet.

Venus is a decent late season choice, but prone to disease.

After trying ST though the years, and getting some early picks in the past, have finally realized how good this mango really is. Adding more grafts!

Venus graft I couldn't care much less about. I mean its cool, but not worried about it.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »
Venus and Sweet Tart are completely different in flavor, and other respects as well.

Sweet Tart is superior in flavor, especially if you like a lil sour with your sweet.

Venus is a decent late season choice, but prone to disease.

After trying ST though the years, and getting some early picks in the past, have finally realized how good this mango really is. Adding more grafts!

Venus graft I couldn't care much less about. I mean its cool, but not worried about it.

What about Carla does it have any sub acid or hint of tartness similar to Sweet Tart or Dot? I've never tried it
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:10:18 PM by bovine421 »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »

Great info!
It's great to have Rob back as a regular contributor with his extensive knowledge!  8)  ;)

You must be willing to take some tart with the sweet :)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
What about Carla does it have any sub acid or hint of tartness similar to Sweet Tart or Dot? I've never tried it
Chris included it in a Truly Tropical mango tasting video last year.  I believe they said it has a classic mango flavor, very good but not distinctive.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »

It's great to have Rob back as a regular contributor with his extensive knowledge!  8)   ;)

You must be willing to take some tart with the sweet :)
Ha! Ain't that the truth! (Does not suffer fools gladly.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:46:53 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
Chris included it in a Truly Tropical mango tasting video last year.  I believe they said it has a classic mango flavor, very good but not distinctive.

I think in that video which they also tasted Phoenix that Carla is the one that got Beth's attention and made her perk up I think she made the comment that it has a sub acid tartness to it. Based on that I have grafted it just wanted to get some confirmation from others 😊

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »

I think in that video which they also tasted Phoenix that Carla is the one that got Beth's attention and made her perk up I think she made the comment that it has a sub acid tartness to it. Based on that I have grafted it just wanted to get some confirmation from others 😊

Carla is just an average mango.  Phoenix is exceptional...think of a cross between Son Pari and Dot flavorwise.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 07:46:07 PM »

Carla is just an average mango.  Phoenix is exceptional...think of a cross between Son Pari and Dot flavorwise.

Hey Rob!  Glad you're back..gave me tons of great info before.  What's the parentage of Phoenix?  I'm interested in the cultivar but have heard conflicting reports of Jakarta or Dot as the parentage.  Any ideas?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »

Hey Rob!  Glad you're back..gave me tons of great info before.  What's the parentage of Phoenix?  I'm interested in the cultivar but have heard conflicting reports of Jakarta or Dot as the parentage.  Any ideas?

Jakarta.  At one point it was "rumored" to be Dot and you know how rumors spread.  There were a few varieties with misinformation as to parentage that has since been corrected.  When ripened properly, it is truly top notch.  Does not ripen up that well when picked mature green.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »

Jakarta.  At one point it was "rumored" to be Dot and you know how rumors spread.  There were a few varieties with misinformation as to parentage that has since been corrected.  When ripened properly, it is truly top notch.  Does not ripen up that well when picked mature green.

Jakarta is great..thank you!  Do you know if it's resistant to MBBS?  Does it flower easily or does it require a large cold stimulus?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
Hi,
I have 2 more spots for larger Mango trees to add to my collection. I sort of narrowed it down to: Seacrest, Cac (same as Cat Chu), Orange Sherbet and Sweet Tart. I haven't tasted either one yet.
I like firm, fiberless with a good balance of sweet and tart flavors. From the ones I have in production I like Glenn, Edward and LZ best, not a big fan of Nam Doc Mai (too sweet) and Carrie (too soft). Any advice?
   This has been a very useful thread helped me refine my grafting list to LZ Phoenix Cecilove Cac.
My vote for what it's worth is Sweet Tart and Cac with Phoenix grafted onto it. Thanks everyone for the schooling :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
From what I have seen, Phoenix seems to be free of MBBS so far.  I have seen a producing tree in a grove hit hard by MBBS snd the fruit have been clean. 

While its known to be vigorous, I may have a tree that is dwarfed to an extent by its rootstock (tree is from ZHPP).  Mine has more of a compact growth habit with a stocky appearance.  It has flowered fine for me out in Wellington with no issues setting fruit.  I have not let it hold any fruit as I want the tree to grow another year (planted Summer of 2017).
- Rob