Author Topic: Joey Avocado in the Freeze  (Read 1170 times)

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
Joey Avocado in the Freeze
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:05 PM »
Hoping someone as good advice on maybe saving this tree.  Rather pitiful looking now since the
temps went down to 20 around 3 weeks ago.
It has only been in the ground around 2 1/2 months. 
We put pipe insulation around the trunk around 20" up then covered with
heavy material. 
This Joey may be able to take cold temps, but maybe not as an newly planted tree. 

Also, I was watching a video on cold hardy avocados.  Someone posted that there were really no cold
hardy avocados - that vendors were just trying to sell them. 

Is there anything to be done to help this tree recover.
Thanks in advance, Carol in Houston

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: Joey Avocado in the Freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
Mexicola is a really vigorous and cold hardy rootstock.  I leave them outside in 5g pots and they've been through a few frosts this year and last year and have showed no signs of damage.

It's hard to say if the plant is beyond saving without seeing pictures. But planting it in the dead of winter is definitely a very risky wager to place haha.  If I were you I would potentially consider diging it up, repotting it in well draining soil, watering with warm water and keeping it indoors until spring comes around.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Mexicola is a really vigorous and cold hardy rootstock.  I leave them outside in 5g pots and they've been through a few frosts this year and last year and have showed no signs of damage.

It's hard to say if the plant is beyond saving without seeing pictures. But planting it in the dead of winter is definitely a very risky wager to place haha.  If I were you I would potentially consider diging it up, repotting it in well draining soil, watering with warm water and keeping it indoors until spring comes around.
Look into getting the "Aravipa" variety. It was a chance seedling found in a canyon in Arizona where it snows, and gets really hot.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
Those cold hardy temperatures they list are for established trees,  its best to cover and provide a heat source until the trees get bigger.  I have at least a dozen avocados in the ground in Houston, and growing up many people have mature avocado trees in their yard(Friendswood, Texas).  They definitely can live here with some help to start.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »

Got a chance to take a picture.  Here is mature Opal avocado tree in Houston

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk