Author Topic: Raising soil pH in a calcifuge plant?  (Read 1872 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Raising soil pH in a calcifuge plant?
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
So, there's only a couple non-fruiting plants among my tropicals, and one of them is a drosera (sundew), which helps ensure that flying pests don't get out of control. The other evening I was doing my periodic pH measurements and I got to the drosera (a relatively recent acquisition, never-before measured), and the results were so off the chart that I actually went back and recalibrated my pH meter. Its soil was pH=3,1!  Lowest measurement I've ever seen - that's like soda.  Droseras certainly tolerate acidic soils, but they generally prefer at least pH=5,5 from what I've read, and too low pH hinders their growth rate.

I was going to just lime it, but then I ran into another tidbit: apparently most droseras are calcifuges. They hate calcium.  And they generally prefer nutrient-poor soils in general. Well, that leaves me in a conundrum: how do you raise the soil pH if the plant hates calcium, and most nutrients in general?  Is my best bet just transplanting into new medium?  Or should I just let it be, since it's seemingly healthy?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Raising soil pH in a calcifuge plant?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
I’d start with a Barrel Compost Biodynamic spray. Followed by small increments of  various organic carbon inputs applied every two weeks starting with a finished Biodynamic compost.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:09:32 AM »
If your container is anaerobic the container could be forming acetic acid from fermentation. You may be able to smell that and alleviating the drainage issue might stop the problem. So, it may just be the conditions of low oxygen. Perhaps charcoal or something neutral to promote drainage?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:11:35 AM by pineislander »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »
If your container is anaerobic the container could be forming acetic acid from fermentation. You may be able to smell that and alleviating the drainage issue might stop the problem. So, it may just be the conditions of low oxygen. Perhaps charcoal or something neutral to promote drainage?

Droseras like constantly waterlogged soil.  They're supposed to be left in a pan of water.

I haven't noticed a smell, but I'll check.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »

Droseras like constantly waterlogged soil.  They're supposed to be left in a pan of water.

Well, maybe just a flush and water change will dilute it.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »

Well, maybe just a flush and water change will dilute it.

Yeah, I'd been leaving the water standing.  Should probably change it every time I refill the tray, that should probably slowly leach the acids away.