Author Topic: How to make mango tree grow new braches  (Read 967 times)

Shobha

• Hacienda Heights Ca
    • View Profile
How to make mango tree grow new braches
« on: June 27, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
I have a Kesar mango grafted tree for 6 years. Gives 6-8 fruits every year . Tree is not branching. Seems like the branches bending downwards. Any advise?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How to make mango tree grow new braches
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
Energy of tree is going to fruit instead of branches. Weight of fruit is making branches droop down. Remove fruit for a couple of years and maybe it will put energy into growing tree instead of fruit then grow bigger. Once tree is bigger it can give you many more than 6-8 fruits.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Energy of tree is going to fruit instead of branches. Weight of fruit is making branches droop down. Remove fruit for a couple of years and maybe it will put energy into growing tree instead of fruit then grow bigger. Once tree is bigger it can give you many more than 6-8 fruits.

Was going to say similar, but figured I’d leave it to someone with more expertise. Tree that small should be left to grow, not fruit. Buy mangoes for a few years, you’ll get lots of your own later!  :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »
I think possible bigger issue is Florida grafted tree (on Turpentine) in California then combined with letting it continually to hold fruit.

I can see its strapped to a "stake" and that trunk is in no way to size of a tree that age.
- Rob

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Kesar is a slow-growing mango tree even in Inda where it is native.

This is a poor choice for SoCal with our marginal climate. Even removing all of the fruit growth will still be poor.

Best to start over and select vigorous varieties with a higher probability of success. Jakarta, Sunrise, and 0-15 are all much better choices for our area with the Indian Flavor profile.   

As to your small Kesar tree, I would just enjoy the fruit you get every year and plant some Mango seedlings (Manila, Kent exct) now and let them grow so you can graft some more desirable cultivars in a few years.

Johnny
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:28:34 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »