Author Topic: Grafting common fig (Ficus carica) on cluster fig (Ficus racemosa) possible ????  (Read 1365 times)

sobars_machado

• India, Maharashtra, Mumbai, Vasai (Konkan region - Tropical)
    • View Profile
Hello Friends,
I was wondering if anybody tried grafting common fig (Ficus carica) on a rootstock of cluster fig (Ficus racemosa) with any success? Common fig can be easily grown by cutting however in our area (tropical maharashtra/mumbai) it is very slow to grow, however the cluster fig grows wild as a weed. So, the combination, if works, would be great.
Thanks,
Sobars

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
I don't have experience with grafting these together, but I imagine this will not work as they are from different subsections of ficus, and graft incompatibility has been shown across different subsections in the past. However, there is still the possibility, since I remember a discussion here about a nematode resistant rootstock for F. carica that was from a different subsection. Best way to find out is to try!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
I don't have experience with grafting these together, but I imagine this will not work as they are from different subsections of ficus, and graft incompatibility has been shown across different subsections in the past. However, there is still the possibility, since I remember a discussion here about a nematode resistant rootstock for F. carica that was from a different subsection. Best way to find out is to try!
In that discussion and in others Racemosa has been speculated to be a possibility

I'm curious in the eating quality of the Racemosa as well.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
We have a big grafted fig in the ground at echo, Crafton Clift grafted it many years ago. Josh Jamison is also working on grafting figs.

Im not sure if the rootstock is Racemosa or Glomerata though.

FloridaFruitGeek

• USA, Florida, North Marion County, USDA Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Florida Fruit Geek
Reportedly that works - Ficus glomerata aka racemosa can successfully work as a nematode-resistant rootstock for Ficus carica. I recently got a plant of what is supposed to be Ficus glomerata, and I am actively multiplying it by cuttings so I can try grafting on good varieties of edible figs.

Other Ficus species I'm currently testing as hopefully nematode-resistant fig rootstocks are Ficus palmata, Ficus pumila, and the one from ECHO in Fort Myers, which Crafton Cliff says is Ficus sycomorus.

Species I've heard can work as fig rootstocks which I havn''t acquired yet are Ficus opposita, Ficus septica, Ficus ulmifolia, and Ficus pseudopalma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk