Author Topic: Banana corms recovery  (Read 3157 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Banana corms recovery
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:46:05 AM »
An idea how to save the banana corms?
It seems the core is alive

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:22:15 AM by msk0072 »
Mike

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Banana corns recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:05:35 PM »
corms are very easy to work with, but some problems:
rotten
partially rotten
or desiccated, but it is very hard to dry them out completely, unless very small like this

Like a tuber, rub through your hands harshly to check for rot, looks like yours are ok.

Corms will grow quickly when mixed with dirt and a lot of manure.  You can soak them in a manure tea for 24 hours to help jumpstart them as well.

An idea how to save the banana corns?
It seems the core is alive

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
Should i disinfect them soaking in hydrogen peroxide? Can it kill them?
These corns came from thailand. 3 weeks on the way
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:26:44 PM by msk0072 »
Mike

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
Dont use too much potting soil, use small pots with airy soil and get the roots going again then slowly start up potting to next size up. 
Brad Spaugh

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:29 AM »
I don't think it will kill them, but also you will have a rough time with those small corms, they are very susceptible to rot when so small, use small pots with very good drainage, good mix of sand, and keep them in the shade, since sand won't hold much water.

Should i disinfect them soaking in hydrogen peroxide? Can it kill them?
These corns came from thailand. 3 weeks on the way

CarolinaCitrus

• Zone 8 NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
A heavy perlite soil mix, Minimal watering(once week), and afternoon shade for the first week or two...And like others said a small pot to help reduce rot...Good luck

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
A heavy perlite soil mix, Minimal watering(once week), and afternoon shade for the first week or two...And like others said a small pot to help reduce rot...Good luck
Already done Perlite with sand and litle potting soil. Has perfect drainage. Thanks
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
What is the best way to send banana corms for such a long time?
Mike

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 06:05:32 PM »
Which variety are they? I have many bananas from Thailand, in future I can send you if you are interested. Probably you can get them in week.
I have Kluai Leb Mu Nang, Kluai khai, kluai Namwah
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:21:45 AM by lebmung »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
likely best way is to just try to dry it partially and then package it so that no more water is lost..
just guessing here.  I was always shipped corms loose, sometimes in plastic bags, but really best way is to get nice big suckers from parent tree, these small or cut up pieces are very hard to get going.

What is the best way to send banana corms for such a long time?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:26:24 AM »
The best would be that the sender drops them into hot water at 55C for 10 seconds then dry them. Quite hard to find someone do this accurate without killing the corm ;D This is what I do.
A lot of pests are in soil in Thailand which are carried to the bulb, eventually they will infect your soil. The best method for free pathogen plants is tissue culture.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
Which variety are they? I have many bananas from Thailand, in future I can send you if you are interested. Probably you can get them in week.
It was an offer (low price) so i desided to buy them. Varieties : Kluai Namwah, Lady Finger and Gros Michel. You can send me a pm about your varieties.
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 07:10:51 AM »
The best would be that the sender drops them into hot water at 55C for 10 seconds then dry them. Quite hard to find someone do this accurate without killing the corm ;D This is what I do.
A lot of pests are in soil in Thailand which are carried to the bulb, eventually they will infect your soil. The best method for free pathogen plants is tissue culture.
Is that method proven? I can do when i receive them or is not the right way
Mike

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Banana corms recovery
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »
Yes it's in the macropropagation manual. It needs to be done right after you take it from land not after 20 days when pests are already inside.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »
Namwah is very generic now, size can be from 6 foot to 30' tall, size of bananas varies, and also the number of bunches can be from 3 - 20.  As long as you didn't buy "Dwarf Namwa" you should get something that produces decent floral sweet flavor with vigorous growth and many suckers.  Smaller, but not too tightly spaced.  It is a decent banana

Gros Michel is a sickly type  banana, they prefer to grow very close together to keep stalk from drying out, and need a lot of fertilizer, however they produce very large racks of williams type banana, same as commercial varieites on market as far as taste, (Dole banana) and produce just enough suckers 2-3 per tree, with one nice one to keep.  Very susceptible to disease and rot.

Lady finger is not a Thai name, so unless they provided a Thai name you could have got many different types of Thai 'specific' varieties.  They likely are selling a sort of 'leb mer'  (fingernail) which is smaller than lady finger.  The taste is starchy sweet, and the bananas are 'cute' but are very slow growers, produce very few bunches, and produce many suckers but not vigorous spreader.

Long time ago I bought up any and all red banana corms I could find on market, and finally found one that produced small lady finger sized bananas with pink insides, and is the sweetest banana I have ever tasted.  Ripening was even and normal, growth vigorous, suckers vigorous, it really is the best banana I have ever seen, and I would likely rename it in the future to avoid confusion with all the huge generic problem of "Gluay Nak" "Gluay Goong" names in Thai.  Several other red bananas had the issues of cuban red such as difficulty in ripening, slow growth, starchy flavor, etc.

Other excellent Thai strains include Jackfruit Banana (Gluay Kanoon), Gluay Keeow (green banana).  Out of the 20 or so strains I planted, My red, jackfruit, and green bananas are the tops, and still on the fence about which plantains to keep.

Which kinds are you growing now?  Thai bananas is a huge hobby for me as far as collecting.

It was an offer (low price) so i desided to buy them. Varieties : Kluai Namwah, Lady Finger and Gros Michel. You can send me a pm about your varieties.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »
Yes it's in the macropropagation manual. It needs to be done right after you take it from land not after 20 days when pests are already inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rc4g-9Nnqg

In this video the time for treatment is 30sec and the water is boiling. 10sec seems very short to kill the pathogens
Mike

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
I tried once using diluted bleach for several minutes to kill pests.
I thought it worked but it did nothing.
Found a month later when repotting some suspicious crack in the corn and after cutting I found many tunnels and several live corm borer.
I'm still scared some became adult and escaped.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 05:57:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rc4g-9Nnqg

In this video the time for treatment is 30sec and the water is boiling. 10sec seems very short to kill the pathogens

55C degrees I think it's a safe temperature, overheating will kill the plant. Not sure how they boil in that video. I wouldn't go more than 15 seconds.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 06:13:27 PM »
Namwah is very generic now, size can be from 6 foot to 30' tall, size of bananas varies, and also the number of bunches can be from 3 - 20.  As long as you didn't buy "Dwarf Namwa" you should get something that produces decent floral sweet flavor with vigorous growth and many suckers.  Smaller, but not too tightly spaced.  It is a decent banana

Gros Michel is a sickly type  banana, they prefer to grow very close together to keep stalk from drying out, and need a lot of fertilizer, however they produce very large racks of williams type banana, same as commercial varieites on market as far as taste, (Dole banana) and produce just enough suckers 2-3 per tree, with one nice one to keep.  Very susceptible to disease and rot.

Lady finger is not a Thai name, so unless they provided a Thai name you could have got many different types of Thai 'specific' varieties.  They likely are selling a sort of 'leb mer'  (fingernail) which is smaller than lady finger.  The taste is starchy sweet, and the bananas are 'cute' but are very slow growers, produce very few bunches, and produce many suckers but not vigorous spreader.

Long time ago I bought up any and all red banana corms I could find on market, and finally found one that produced small lady finger sized bananas with pink insides, and is the sweetest banana I have ever tasted.  Ripening was even and normal, growth vigorous, suckers vigorous, it really is the best banana I have ever seen, and I would likely rename it in the future to avoid confusion with all the huge generic problem of "Gluay Nak" "Gluay Goong" names in Thai.  Several other red bananas had the issues of cuban red such as difficulty in ripening, slow growth, starchy flavor, etc.

Other excellent Thai strains include Jackfruit Banana (Gluay Kanoon), Gluay Keeow (green banana).  Out of the 20 or so strains I planted, My red, jackfruit, and green bananas are the tops, and still on the fence about which plantains to keep.

Which kinds are you growing now?  Thai bananas is a huge hobby for me as far as collecting.

I personally dug out the corms in Thailand and tested the fruits of Leb mu nang, kluai khai and kluai namwah.  I also have a big 4 meter Musa balbisiana (Kluai Tani กล้วยตานี)
The best for me and very tasteful banana is Kluai Leb Mu Nang, but not easy to find a good variety in Thailand. They are not so easy to grow in a cold climate.

Now there is a confusion of lady fingers banana.
The international term refers to pisang mas in malay or kluai khai in thai. In Thailand it refers to Leb Mu Nang which is found in the south.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/plantetropicale/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1631716860184134

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »
Pisang Mas pictures of fruits match Gluay Khai, important that small, completely round, thin skin, flesh slight orangish tint.  Very sweet, but bruises easily and can ripen unevenly occasionally causing hard spots in fruit.  Boles larger than Leb Mer (Leb Mer Nang is likely just dwarf variety of Leb Mer)

My favorite red banana at house has similar shape to Gluay Khai, pink flesh, round but more slender fruit.

Gluay Namwa have at least 3 important varieties which are hugely different:
Gluay Namwa Yak (giant)
Gluay Namwa Dia (dwarf) - not farmed
Gluay Namwa Pak Chong 50 - https://www3.rdi.ku.ac.th/?p=34970

Be away from the farm for a while, but when back will post up some pics, since we have a common interest in Thai banana!

Not sure why you plant Tani, for jungle bananas, the seeded Borneo versions seem to be much more impressive.  In south, any seeded version will refer to Gluay Pa (jungle banana) and there is much debate and concern about seeded versions cross pollinating good strains... sometimes old wives tales are true, so who knows.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 11:44:06 PM »
found one picture of my favorite reds..

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
This is my kluai thani, I got 8 seeds 3 years ago. From a jungle in Northern Thailand.
I preferred this because is quite cold hardy. It survives cold temperature and still grows new leaves whereas as all other bananas stop growing or even rot. Ofc with exception of Mușa basjoo.