Author Topic: 18 inches and it won"t stop  (Read 4415 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
18 inches and it won"t stop
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
pineisland is sinking 18 inches of rain and just won't stop, every night it just starts all over.fish getting hit on the road,part of lower feilds under water.

sos

edit totals
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:51:38 AM by shot »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: 16 inches and it won"t stop
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
Yeah this thing has been hanging over top of us for 3 days now. Would be nice if the storm could make up its mind and go somewhere else!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:48:13 PM by dwfl »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Re: 17 inches and it won"t stop
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
In June we had a tropical depression over us that stalled
dropping record breaking rainfall.
a week later it started raining again
and it rained for 3 weeks taking about 4 to 5 days off.
the ground was mush. a few plants just gave up and surrendered.
we broke several records in 2 months.
several plants like guava , POM, Jujube just never flowered.

Now you guys are getting hit and also South Tx is getting hammered.

i may give up tropical fruit
and start growing Kelp.
i hear its very healthy. :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »
Yeah this thing has been hanging over top of us for 3 days now. Would be nice if the storm could make up its mind and go somewhere else!

Your rain has nothing to do with Harvey.  Yours is more associated with Invest 92L which is slowly organizing off the ciast of Georgis and then will merge with a front and off to the NE it will go.
- Rob

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »

Your rain has nothing to do with Harvey.  Yours is more associated with Invest 92L which is slowly organizing off the ciast of Georgis and then will merge with a front and off to the NE it will go.

Nobody mentioned Harvey. Completely different storm. When Harvey was making landfall in TX, this thing was sitting over top of us and still a system over top of us.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:13:06 PM by dwfl »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
Meanwhile over here in east orange county we havent had more than a light drizzle all weekend. I actually had to water some of my container plants yesterday as they were looking droopy.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »

Nobody mentioned Harvey. Completely different storm. When Harvey was making landfall in TX, this thing was sitting over top of us and still a system over top of us.

Ahhhhhh....you said, "the storm" .  ::)  It is a complex, not a storm, named storm nor a potential storm, that is associated with a tropical wave known as Invest 92L (which very well briefly get a name before it shunts away to the NEern Atlantic waters)  which is caught between two high pressures,  in a dead sreering pattern, just as Harvey is.  As Invest 92L slowly moves away from the US, your weather should slowly improve once 92L gets far enough to seperate itself.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:06:58 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
Some pics from around Bokeelia:

My place, new beds planted last week L to R Guavas, Cassava, Jackfruit. Glad I used mounds  ;) :

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:00:29 PM by pineislander »

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
Here in the west coast we have a heat wave hitting us.  San Diego is too hot with a 76 degree F.  😅

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:09:59 PM by Mikey »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
pineisland is sinking 17 inches of rain and just won't stop, every night it just starts all over.fish getting hit on the road,part of lower feilds under water.

sos

edit totals

Pine Island is 32 square miles. 12 inches of rain on that area is 6.6 billion gallons
calculator:
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-howmuchrain.php

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
I hope all is well

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:52:37 AM »
You call that hot...? Look at us in the valleys.

Here in the west coast we have a heat wave hitting us.  San Diego is too hot with a 76 degree F.  😅

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
Some pics from around Bokeelia:

My place, new beds planted last week L to R Guavas, Cassava, Jackfruit. Glad I used mounds  ;) :

Were you able to construct those mounded rows with that kubota tractor?  I wish I had the equipment and or resources to do that.  Most of our farm is flooded.  Canistel has been flooded for 5 days.  Sugar Apple, atemoya, jackfruit have been flooded for 3 days.  No visible signs of stress yet but wondering how much more they can take?  At the first sign of leaf wilt I'm going to pop them out of the ground since everything was just recently planted (no mounding).  All of the mangoes are flooded but they look to be doing fine most are flushing.

Canistel

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:11:25 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: 18 inches and it won"t stop
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
Rain slowed way down last night water is receding looks like it will be better today.Now we wait to see if their is much long term damage in the lower field

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
pineisland is sinking 17 inches of rain and just won't stop, every night it just starts all over.fish getting hit on the road,part of lower feilds under water.

sos

edit totals

Pine Island is 32 square miles. 12 inches of rain on that area is 6.6 billion gallons
calculator:
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-howmuchrain.php

Thats 55,044,000.000 pounds of water.
Quentin

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »
Storms finally letting up, waters receded quite a bit overnight. My geese no longer have flood waters to swim in.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Were you able to construct those mounded rows with that kubota tractor? 
Yes, I put some pics up here showing how I did it using a box scraper:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.msg295012#msg295012

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
Hi, I wanted to share some observations. Today my neighbor's man Pepe (70 yrs+ and a former political prisoner in Cuba), who is running the show found two Sugar Apple and one Mango which he says were "borracho de agua" (drunk with water). Indeed they were wilting and had been in standing water  in standing water 4 days or more. All of these were newly planted trees which had been in pots. Pepe dug trenches around the trees to see it that would help.
Here is what it looked like:

Now, there are 100 mango, 100 Lychee, 100 sugar apples and close to 100 assorted other species which are well-established trees and had no problems, so far. I think that for some reason the more recently planted trees are more sensitive to this inundation. The only other trees which seem to have suffered so far are Papayas, even well established trees which were flooded all have drooping leaves, some have fallen over. So, that is what I see so far, I'll get back with how this turns out.