Author Topic: Help identifying these bananas purchased from miamifruit.org?  (Read 1760 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Bought a variety box from them and was told to email them to identify what was sent. I guess due to the ongoing world meltdown they're not doing that now. Any help from my fruitaholics?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying these bananas purchased from miamifruit.org?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:26:19 PM »
Hi!
Great bananas you got!
1 is jamaican red
2 is pitogo
5 is namwah
3 and 4 i don't know...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:31:10 PM by Luisport »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
Hi!
Great bananas you got!
1 is jamaican red
2 is pitogo
5 is namwah
3 and 4 i don't know...

I was thinking 2 might be blue java - they're not tiny like I've seen in pictures of pitogo.

Honestly it's kind of a ridiculous system to send you a box of different stuff, not tell you what it is, ask you to send them an e-mail so they can identify, and then tell you sorry no can do.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
Hi!
Great bananas you got!
1 is jamaican red
2 is pitogo
5 is namwah
3 and 4 i don't know...

I was thinking 2 might be blue java - they're not tiny like I've seen in pictures of pitogo.

Honestly it's kind of a ridiculous system to send you a box of different stuff, not tell you what it is, ask you to send them an e-mail so they can identify, and then tell you sorry no can do.
I have seen biger pitogo like your 2... but it's not namwah. 5 is namwah or blue java but i think it's namwah.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
It would be very easy for them to use a marker on the skin.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »

Honestly I'm kinda disappointed in them. We bought the bananas and a box of sapodilla. 75% of the sapodilla just shriveled up without ripening as they were picked way too early. The bananas are just lumped in a box without any identification. They don't sell this stuff cheap so you'd think ripe fruit and knowing what you're getting isn't a huge ask.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 03:18:18 PM »
Number 5 look like ice cream / blue Java banana

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 01:07:23 AM »

Honestly I'm kinda disappointed in them. We bought the bananas and a box of sapodilla. 75% of the sapodilla just shriveled up without ripening as they were picked way too early. The bananas are just lumped in a box without any identification. They don't sell this stuff cheap so you'd think ripe fruit and knowing what you're getting isn't a huge ask.

They do the same with mangoes. A customer of mine  ordered from them: Packed 4-5 different varieties and no indications. Very pricey too. Methinks they are essentially not for the connoisseur. Their target market must be for people who never get down south and don't know there are about 500 different varieties of "mango" and willing to overpay.

I'd stay away. Buy local.

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 03:32:38 AM »
1 is Jamaica/Cuban Red - AAA genome
2 is blue java I think. Could also be Orinoco. Both have the “stitching” you see on the fruit. - ABB genome.
3 is a Pome type like Brazillian/HI apple - AAB genome.
4 is a Pisang Mas type like Musa Niño. - AA diploid genome.
5 is 100% Pisang Awak/namwa. - ABB genome.

What’s your favorite? I love Pome types and niño. Niño is one of the sweetest banana I’ve tried!

Ty Taylor.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 01:24:36 AM »
They do the same with mangoes. A customer of mine  ordered from them: Packed 4-5 different varieties and no indications. Very pricey too. Methinks they are essentially not for the connoisseur. Their target market must be for people who never get down south and don't know there are about 500 different varieties of "mango" and willing to overpay.

I'd stay away. Buy local.

The not insignificant number of bad reviews about the contents and quality of their fruit boxes has made me leery of buying anything from MiamiFruit, especially considering their prices. Otherwise, they offer all sorts of fruit (Sapodilla, Mamey Sapote, Star Apple, Abiu, Imbe, etc.) that I cannot get at my grocery (though since it has started stocking Jackfruit, Yellow Dragon Fruit, and Passion Fruit, it might just be a matter of time). I guess the best stuff they send out is to the Weird Explorer for him to give them free advertising.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk