Author Topic: green eating mango's from outside thailand  (Read 2306 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
green eating mango's from outside thailand
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:01:13 AM »
I'm done with overly sweet mango's which only taste sweet and more sweet. (like namdocmai).

Now i'm in love with green crispy mango's which are picked very early.

Are there any good varieties outside Thailand? I already have mun khun si and keo sawoey (thai mango's) but can use some more varieties from abroad.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: green eating mango's from outside thailand
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:45 AM »
a green Glenn can be really good, when done right

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
sunny, I know you asked for mangos outside of Thailand, but I'm curious to know why one of my all-time favorite mangos, the Pim Seng Mun, is not on your list? I recently got a young Mun Khun Si tree, as I recall liking that mango a lot at a mango tasting years ago.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
sunny, I know you asked for mangos outside of Thailand, but I'm curious to know why one of my all-time favorite mangos, the Pim Seng Mun, is not on your list? I recently got a young Mun Khun Si tree, as I recall liking that mango a lot at a mango tasting years ago.

I just killed my pim seng mun tree to replace it for keo sawoey...i never ate that one though but all people around here told me it's not as good.

Mun kun si is also very nice eaten green, very nice...and even better if you pick it green and keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks so it ripens a little bit..

Brahm kai mea is another one i have never tasted but is supposed to be great for green eating.

I ask this because there must be more green mango's around, maybe from india or indonesia/malaysia....but they really have to be very tasty.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 12:36:20 AM »
Cambodia, your neighbor  has very good tasty green mango.  You should make a trip to Cambodia and bring back some scion and share it with us too.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 01:31:07 AM »
Cambodia, your neighbor  has very good tasty green mango.  You should make a trip to Cambodia and bring back some scion and share it with us too.

The borders are closed but thanks for the idea...if you could give a variety name i can easy order it from here...they might be here already and i have access to the largest mangotree dealers...for some reason the markets are flooded with namdocmai and keo savoey but those are not the best mango's imo.

I won't go to cambodia myself though...

I'm waiting for more americans to name Glenn as a good green mango...but it will be very hard to find in Thailand.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 03:32:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBCUEuiqaQ

Can you ask your dealer to get some branch cuttings of  KeoChen for me?
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/‘chinese-glass’-variety-clearly-tastiest-mangoes-around-phnom-penh

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:14:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPBCUEuiqaQ

Can you ask your dealer to get some branch cuttings of  KeoChen for me?
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/‘chinese-glass’-variety-clearly-tastiest-mangoes-around-phnom-penh

Is that the first green mango in the video? And is that a very good green mango? It looks like kaew and is sour.
they are not as good as mun kun si or keo savoei...i bet i can buy kaew mango's in 10 minutes but the markets are closed now, we have a curfew...the tree i can have in a few minutes as well but all shops are closed untill further orders..

I don't see any mango in that newspaper...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
I don't actually think Glenn mangoes are anything special green. Probably many green mangoes, cut up and marinated right, can taste good. Like to mix with papaya, and chili paste or hot peppers.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »
Cambodia love eating green crunchy mangos. We actually prefer it green than ripen mango.

I don't know these varieties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QSp8MM8Bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZbj-i2HFyA

Sunny-
can you help ship keochen to me?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:30:44 AM »
I don't actually think Glenn mangoes are anything special green. Probably many green mangoes, cut up and marinated right, can taste good. Like to mix with papaya, and chili paste or hot peppers.

We have loads of green mango's in Thailand but most are not nice, they are used for cooking, pickling, eating with sugar/salt/chili but i want to eat them pure without anything. For that keo savoei and mun kun si are the best ones i have tasted so far.

Brahm kai mea also should be great, it even comes from my area but i have never ever seen it on the markets....i grow the tree (have many) but they didn't bloom for many years, maybe that's why they are hard to find.

A good green mango picked at the right time is very crisp, is a little sweet/sour and has lots of mango flavor..every single cut piece of a green mun kun si tastes different which is what i love. They are sure not sour.

For some strange reason keo savoei costs the most, today in foodland i saw kaew next to keo savoei for sale and the last one costed double the price of the first.

My family upcountry has many huge green mangotree's, grown without anything, no fertilizer or sprays and they are awesome.

Also i think green mango's are more healthy since they are not overly sweet.

But i sure would like to grow new american mango's, lemon zest sounds good since i love that flavor for icecream...

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
Keo Chen - cambodian mango
Keo Chen or Keo Ktis is the most flavor with yellow-orange pigmentation, great taste of flesh, sweetest and aromatic. It is suited growing in many area of the country located along the Tonle Sap and Mekong river. However, the tastes are a bit different from one to another by soil condition of the area. Unlike other mango tree, Keo Chen bears less fruit and yield could decrease in case of the plantation lack of maintenance. That’s the reason which Keo Chen fruit is the most expensive, its price commonly increase from 10 to 20 dollars per dozen.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 11:26:48 PM »
https://phnompenhpost.com/7days/%E2%80%98chinese-glass%E2%80%99-variety-clearly-tastiest-mangoes-around-phnom-penh

Is it this mango in this video? https://youtu.be/NPBCUEuiqaQ?t=293

I need a very good image of them to show to my mangotree dealers...

This mango is not Kaew i guess which is nothing special at all...kaew is a general name from cambodian mango's in thailand.

So keo chen also has a very strong scent right? Much stronger than other mango's right? I need to know that to find it. It must be in Thailand i'm sure and the experts will know it.

The sweet golden flesh of a ripe mango is among Cambodia’s greatest treats, but not all mangoes are created equal. Up top is the Keo Chen, or Chinese Glass – the most aromatic and expensive of all the Kingdom’s mangoes.

“If we were to have a blind taste, I think Keo Chen will be among the [most] unique tastes in the world,” said chef Luu Meng, co-owner of Topaz and Malis restaurants, who uses the mango in his gourmet dishes.

Two Keo Chen mangoes are enough to fill a room with a sweet scent, he added.

The name comes from its supposed introduction to the Kingdom from Chinese traders thousands of years ago, according to Meng. The word keo, or glass, which is used to describe many Cambodian mango varieties, refers to the milky white colour of an unripe mango hanging from its vine. And, costing in excess of $10 a dozen for much of the year, it commands a premium price.

Unlike varieties such as the less expensive Keo Lamiet, which is served in both its sour green and sweet gold phases, Keo Chen is usually eaten when it is at its most ripe. Its flesh, which is the colour of egg yolk, is said to carry a slight coconut flavour.

With the mango harvest season in full swing, there couldn’t be a better time of year to try Keo Chen. Most major Phnom Penh markets currently carry them.

Sokheang, who has spent the past 20 years selling the fruit from her stall on the west side of Central Market, said it is her most popular mango. They come from a village in Kandal province called Akiew Kow, which Sokheang said is particularly renowned for its Keo Chen.

She said: “People like it because it smells sweet. I am selling it now for 30,000 riel a dozen, but that is cheap. At other times of the year, I can sell for twice that.”

On first appearance, the Keo Chen looks disappointingly similar to its mundane cousin, with greenish-yellow skin. But upon the first bite, it proves much sweeter, without the tang that ordinary mangoes can have. A subtle coconut flavour creeps in, like mango and sticky rice after coconut cream has been added.

“You have Pakistani mangoes, Chinese mangoes, and Cambodian mangoes, but [Keo Chen] just stands out,” said Meng.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 11:29:36 PM »
https://phnompenhpost.com/7days/%E2%80%98chinese-glass%E2%80%99-variety-clearly-tastiest-mangoes-around-phnom-penh

Is it this mango in this video? https://youtu.be/NPBCUEuiqaQ?t=293...that is Kaew in thailand.

I need a very good image of keo chen to show to my mangotree dealers...

So keo chen also has a very strong scent right? Much stronger than other mango's right? I need to know that to find it. It must be in Thailand i'm sure and the experts will know it. Kaew also has a strong scent. My wife's mother has a large Kaew mangotree but we are not impressed with the mango. Maybe the cambodians are in love with it but cambodia is 20 years behind Thailand.

Well if you want kaew i can easy find it, i guess it's the same as keo chen mango.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sweet golden flesh of a ripe mango is among Cambodia’s greatest treats, but not all mangoes are created equal. Up top is the Keo Chen, or Chinese Glass – the most aromatic and expensive of all the Kingdom’s mangoes.

“If we were to have a blind taste, I think Keo Chen will be among the [most] unique tastes in the world,” said chef Luu Meng, co-owner of Topaz and Malis restaurants, who uses the mango in his gourmet dishes.

Two Keo Chen mangoes are enough to fill a room with a sweet scent, he added.

The name comes from its supposed introduction to the Kingdom from Chinese traders thousands of years ago, according to Meng. The word keo, or glass, which is used to describe many Cambodian mango varieties, refers to the milky white colour of an unripe mango hanging from its vine. And, costing in excess of $10 a dozen for much of the year, it commands a premium price.

Unlike varieties such as the less expensive Keo Lamiet, which is served in both its sour green and sweet gold phases, Keo Chen is usually eaten when it is at its most ripe. Its flesh, which is the colour of egg yolk, is said to carry a slight coconut flavour.

With the mango harvest season in full swing, there couldn’t be a better time of year to try Keo Chen. Most major Phnom Penh markets currently carry them.

Sokheang, who has spent the past 20 years selling the fruit from her stall on the west side of Central Market, said it is her most popular mango. They come from a village in Kandal province called Akiew Kow, which Sokheang said is particularly renowned for its Keo Chen.

She said: “People like it because it smells sweet. I am selling it now for 30,000 riel a dozen, but that is cheap. At other times of the year, I can sell for twice that.”

On first appearance, the Keo Chen looks disappointingly similar to its mundane cousin, with greenish-yellow skin. But upon the first bite, it proves much sweeter, without the tang that ordinary mangoes can have. A subtle coconut flavour creeps in, like mango and sticky rice after coconut cream has been added.

“You have Pakistani mangoes, Chinese mangoes, and Cambodian mangoes, but [Keo Chen] just stands out,” said Meng.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:32:08 PM by sunny »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:36:23 PM »
This is keo chen mango according to internet

https://delishop.asia/veggies-fruits/mango-keo-chen

My wife calls this Kaew.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:23 PM »
Sunny,
does it have slight coconut flavor and aromatic?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »
Sunny,
does it have slight coconut flavor and aromatic?

Aromatic yes but no coconut flavor.

Look how fast this lady can peel/cut kaew kamin mango...kaew kamin is not the same as kaew according to my wife. Yes nothing is easy haha.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk