Author Topic: Question about my Lychee tree...  (Read 1277 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Question about my Lychee tree...
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
I noticed today that I have quite a few yellow leaves on the interior part of my Lychee tree...these are mature leaves. The tree is 5 years planted and has baby fruits. Is it normal to have these yellow mature leaves fall off this time of year or am I not watering enough...its been quite hot and dry here lately.

Thanks for any help  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:30:06 PM by puglvr1 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Question about my Lychee tree...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
Yes lychees drop a lot of old leaves. If you walk through old lychee orchards there is a very thick layer of leaf mulch under the trees. If your soil is moist i wouldn't worry about it. During fruiting stage they do need extra water though to get fruit to fully fill out.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
Nancy,  as Oscar said some of the drop is natural however if you have not been giving the tree hose watering with our extended drought, do so now. This is vitally important if your tree is holding fruit.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
Thank you Oscar and Rob! I did give it some water yesterday...I will water it weekly from here on out till rainy season. Do you think I need to do 2x a week? Appreciate it!

Also wanted to say there's some shade cloth that goes around part of the trunk perimeter which does help shade some of the soil from drying it out too quickly...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:42:42 PM by puglvr1 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk