Author Topic: Keitt Mango...are you picking them yet?  (Read 2772 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Keitt Mango...are you picking them yet?
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
Anyone picking Keitts yet? I have a tree with about a dozen of them...one of them fell about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I let it ripen on the counter for about 11 days and they weren't bad at all...sweet but not as good as it could have been but considering it was hard as a rock and green it was pretty good...I have one that is quite large, can't wait to pick it and see how much it weighs, definitely the largest size I've ever had on scraggly tree  ::)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Keitt Mango...are you picking them yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
Since I have other mango varieties available, I have only picked and ripened one in a paper bag. It did ripen and I would do so if I had no other types available.

My present plans = try to save these on the tree for later unless Bugs, birds, fungus, Humans, etc. etc. etc. start to attack my Keitt Mangos or if they just fall off the tree. If attacked, I will pick & eat if ripe or ripen in paper bags if needed.

Also others have mentioned trying their Keitt mangos for example:   kar1ma3 posted in http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20918.0   I just had friends visiting from Europe and a few mangoes left: LZ, Maha, Keitt, NDM#3, Pickering, Carrie, Lancetilla, Florigon and .. the best tasting was...

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »

I'm definitely leaving mine on the tree for a while longer...I was just wondering if others have Keitts that are starting to ripen...thanks palmcity for your comments  :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
A friend gave us a few Keitts from her tree (north Broward) yesterday.  They are partially colored and look like they will ripen up just fine.  I have one Mallika left on the tree and hope the squirrels don't get it.  Not everyone likes Mallika, but I thought they had a very good flavor with some citrus at the skin.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »
A friend gave us a few Keitts from her tree (north Broward) yesterday.  They are partially colored and look like they will ripen up just fine.  I have one Mallika left on the tree and hope the squirrels don't get it.  Not everyone likes Mallika, but I thought they had a very good flavor with some citrus at the skin.

Depending on the color you are referring to,  it is not the usual reds/oranges/yellows that are the color turning on a Keitt that signifies ripening.   It is the tan base color that is the true marker of ripening on the tree.
- Rob

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
I had a friend bring me about a dozen grown in Titusville a couple weeks ago. I ripened them on the shelf in the kitchen. They were pretty tasty, Maybe they would have been better ripened on the tree, but still much better than store bought. Best of luck!
John

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
After seeing about 4 on the tree half eaten, I pulled mine about 4 weeks ago hard and green. They ripened just fine, go figure.

Probably not optimal but I'd rather eat an imperfect mango than have squirrels eat them all. ;)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
Yah, the squirrel is nature's little brix meter. Once the squirrels start taking interest, it's pretty much a sign that you can start picking the mangoes and ripening them indoors. I think there is a more scientific way of determining readiness to pick, but I've learned that I can just follow the squirrel as it goes from tree to tree.
Jeff  :-)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
We are getting close here. Keitt usually start to ripens in SoCal in October but I've had them as late as December

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
Yah, the squirrel is nature's little brix meter. Once the squirrels start taking interest, it's pretty much a sign that you can start picking the mangoes and ripening them indoors. I think there is a more scientific way of determining readiness to pick, but I've learned that I can just follow the squirrel as it goes from tree to tree.

This really seems to be true. Every year the animals, mostly squirrels, dictate when I pull my mangoes. When I see one or two on the ground it's time to harvest. I pulled all of my Glenns without any color break this year and they ripened perfectly.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
I was harvesting a Kit tree last year in Naples from August - End of October.  Looks to be on pace for the same this year. 
- Marley

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Thanks ALL!! I'd rather pick them early and let them ripen on the counter that give them to the rat tails/critters too!!

Wow Joe, December? That's awesome, having mangoes that late in the year  :D

My Husband and I drove to Canal Point to Erickson Farms today...nice drive.
Picked up a box of Keitts around (25 lbs), and a 10 lb bag of Kents ...I can't wait for my few to ripen :o)...at least 2 more weeks and I need a Mango fix  8). Kents are ready now and the Keitts about a week...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:10:39 PM by puglvr1 »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »

Still haven't picked mine...they seem very hard and not quite ready? I have a couple that is very large. Just wish I knew when to pick these guys, I don't mind ripening them on the counter.  I have noticed "no" activity from the squirrels so maybe they know more than I do?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk