Author Topic: Do Mango trees inosculate?  (Read 1351 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Do Mango trees inosculate?
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
When mango trees grow together do they inosculate, fuse cambiums, or do the cambiums remain separate. I've read a couple threads here that show pictures of trees grown together (e.g. two trees from a polyembrionic double seedling) but cant find info on inosculation. Contemplating some tree sculpture with mangos. I guess the only way this would be known is if someone has cut down trees or limbs grown together and examined the fusion region.
Shane

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Do Mango trees inosculate?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »
When mango trees grow together do they inosculate, fuse cambiums, or do the cambiums remain separate. I've read a couple threads here that show pictures of trees grown together (e.g. two trees from a polyembrionic double seedling) but cant find info on inosculation. Contemplating some tree sculpture with mangos. I guess the only way this would be known is if someone has cut down trees or limbs grown together and examined the fusion region.

Thanks for teaching me a new word.  I have never see fusion of mango tree limbs but think that with the right kind of wound and sufficient proximity, inosculation would occur with mangoes. As I said, I have no proff, but that would be my hypothesis.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA