Author Topic: Best mango rootstock for Florida? Is Sabre just as good as Turpentine?  (Read 1151 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I know turpentine is probably the most common mango rootstock in Florida, but are there others that are as good or better like Sabre?  My neighbor has a Sabre mango tree that produces hundreds of mangos that just rot on the ground.  Is Sabre as good as turpentine for rootstock?

Yes before you ask they taste bad.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:01:49 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
It depends on your definition of “Best”. For some, best may mean large, vigorous, disease resistant. For others, best may be small yet productive. Here’s a link with a brief discussion on Mango rootstocks.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.0

Within the thread above, you will find links that discuss rootstocks with different attributes. Squam256, Dr Noris Ledesma or Dr Richard Campbell will probably have a lot more information if you contact them.

I hear that there are relatively new hybrid rootstocks that may be available soon that may be more disease resistant.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
I've always just used whatever is available. Never had an issue.
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile

By the way, the Carrie mango I got from you is doing well. :-) I think you grafted that one onto a glenn seedling.
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
:D glad to hear that! I don't remember what that was grafted to at this point.

By the way, the Carrie mango I got from you is doing well. :-) I think you grafted that one onto a glenn seedling.
Jeff  :-)