Author Topic: Small productive mango tree with Haden/Bailey's Marvel flavor?  (Read 1077 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Small productive mango tree with Haden/Bailey's Marvel flavor?
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:21 PM »
I am a huuuge fan of the Haden mango. I think even more so Bailey's Marvel, because to me it has the same flavor but not the fiber.

Problem is, it seems both trees have "health" issues, not to mention they are vigorous growers. This makes me hesitant to plant either one.

Though I've scoured Squam's site (awesome resource!), I'm not sure if there's a less vigorous, healthier tree that has the same flavor profile and would produce well in southwest FLA 10a.

Is there one?!?!?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Small productive mango tree with Haden/Bailey's Marvel flavor?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
I know it sounds crazy but I would just go for it.  Especially the Haden.  I lived in the Golden Gate Estates and did a lot in Felda and Immokalee.  If you dial it in, you might be able to eat your favorite mango right from your own tree for many years to come.  Why settle before giving it a shot you know?
 If it doesnt work out you can always top work it.  Where abouts in SWFL are you?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 11:38:25 PM »
There’s a mango from Hawaii called Smith (not the florida one) that tastes like Baileys Marvel and grows slow as molasses by comparison.

Ah Ping is as good as BM and better than Haden but the tree is lanky and fruit too prone to MBBS for backyard growers.

Van Dyke tastes just like Haden to me but with better anthracnose resistance. Vigorous tree though.

i feel like mangos like BM, Ah Ping and Maya are in same flavor GROUP as Haden but taste better (better subacid balance and more sweet).

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:28:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies! FloridaBoy, planting a Haden or Bailey's Marvel will be my default position. I'm in Punta Gorda, but east of I75.

Squam, do you sell grafted trees of the Hawaiian Smith? Scions would be useless, as I don't graft😋

Thanks!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies! FloridaBoy, planting a Haden or Bailey's Marvel will be my default position. I'm in Punta Gorda, but east of I75.

Squam, do you sell grafted trees of the Hawaiian Smith? Scions would be useless, as I don't graft😋

Thanks!

We can graft it for you on order if you’re interested. It’s not produced by the major nurseries here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk