Author Topic: trick to keep plants in small pots longer  (Read 1332 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
trick to keep plants in small pots longer
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:17:02 PM »
Here are some soursop 3 years old, over 6 ft tall in 3 gallon pots, They are growing faster than the ones in bigger pots. The trick is to have a good base such as concrete or plastic to keep the roots from growing in the ground, add about 6 inches of a mix of fresh and composted leaves mixed with peat moss and stick the plants on top, it allows for the roots to grow out the bottom of the pots and sit in a rich moist compost while keeping the top roots more dry, since the peat moss stays wet longer it gives you a couple days in between watering, plus it saves on fertilizer as it accumulates around the base instead of going in the ground.

here are some Bignay over 6 feet in about 2 gallons of dirt, I have a bunch in bigger pots that are the same size.

logs help keep moisture in the ground and also add a continuous supply of carbon. worms breed like crazy in this compost mix.

you can see the roots. I am able to move the pots at will without worrying about breaking roots, although on concrete tiny roots do go into the ground but are easily broke with out harm to the rest of the root system.

Figure i would share as I am always looking for ways to keep plants happy in their pots as long as possible and maximize growing speed as well, There are many people also wondering the size of tree and correlation of pot size so i hope this helps. A side note that i only use rainwater or highly filtered tap water, I don't believe you will get the same results if using unfiltered city water and chemical fertilizers full of salts as it kills the soil bacteria which is the plants immune system, healthier soil healthier plants.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: trick to keep plants in small pots longer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:11:50 AM »
Last year I bought several soursop in 3 gal pots which had been grown for years to supply leaves as herbs. The grower shut down and lopped off the roots which had grown into the ground. They were very stout trunked trees from being regularly pruned. The trees transplanted very well into ground after I further trimmed roots, so I found this a very easy tough tree to work with.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
Nice thread.
I have a soursop seedling which i have just transplanted to a 4 gallons pot this winter (it was in a 2 gallons pot). It is 2 feet tall now (2 years old from seed). According to your experience i am good to go with that pot for 2 or 3 more years?

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
At around 3:30 into this video we explain and show some results of air Pruning Pots.

https://youtu.be/1gDJnGMjIVs

https://scontent.fgye8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26198401_1999362316745328_6086005088105602187_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEr1YylalzcFqkSwkeMGJ2nN8cuEMehkQkd5BNL7lfzdJ__hWa2Yx66IGjFpDtE5S3FbnkFXIBcxz-S32yHcjCkYh6wzDCnOVNPYa_EGoQAwg&oh=101ceec8b5d5720e7ed3dec5241c20e4&oe=5B6B470D

Here is some pots we simple drill the edges out and some extra some holes also. They can live in these pots for a very long time, but they will also stay small on top while becoming very strong.

Soursop is one of the most resilient fruiting plants I’ve worked with. They can survive a couple years in a tiny root bound bag and completely dried clay soil in tropical sun. Also they can fruit after 2-3 years in ground from some seedlings. Just beasts.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:24:45 PM by TerraFrutisEcuador »

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:00 PM »
root pruning pots are good, they do work. I was talking more about letting the roots grow through the pots and still develop so when you do eventually transplant you have a nice 6-10 ft roots that are easily picked up and put into larger pots. Soursop are resilient plants but i have also done this technique with many different family such as Artocarpus, Pouteria, Eugenia, plinia, annonas, garcinias, and various other. I will say there are fast growing ones such as java almond and Jamaican cherry that don't do well when kept in small pots for too long in my experience but for the most part it works. I have seen a 7 foot kepel in 3 gallons of soil so miracles can happen.