Author Topic: SoCal Desert Mango Tasting Event 072313  (Read 10271 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
SoCal Desert Mango Tasting Event 072313
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
So….. This last Tuesday, July 23rd, I sponsored the first annual Desert Mango Tasting event at my place in Palm Springs, CA.  In attendance were JF, Behl, Null Zero and his girlfriend, Christina.  We had 10 mango varieties to slice up and eat (though 11 were present on the table):

Rosigold
Manila (from my neighbor’s tree)
Duncan (grown in Florida)
Edward (grown in Florida)
Pina Colada
Glenn
Maha Chinok
Nam Doc Mai
Valencia Pride (Improperly labeled tree?)
NDM/Mystery mango (Improperly labeled?)
Kent(one was partially ripe)
Keitt (none ripened in time)

It was 100 degrees outside, but we all sat in my mister-wrapped gazebo and were quite comfortable as we sat down with our drinks and pretzels, readying for the competition!  Nullzie took the photos of each mango variety as we cut them open. 

We judged the mangoes using a 0(low/bad) – 5 (high/good) rating system.  The 5 categories examined were:  Fiber, Shape/color (appearance), Taste, Flesh-to-Seed ratio and Texture.  We had a 6th category, Aroma, that was used for a number of the mangoes, but then we kind of decided to throw that category out as it just didn’t seem so important, though Behl had the best nose and was raving about certain varieties – he probably having the longest mango history among all of us having grown up with them as a kid.

Anyway, the final tallies of the tasting are as follows, remembering that these in no way are representative of these varieties grown elsewhere in our state (or around the country for that matter) as I am still learning, changing and adding, major and minor elements, compost, various fertilizers, water, etc. to my trees that I would think do have some bearing on taste:

Overall Ratings based on the 5 categories (Forgot to add up the totals for the Kent, which was only partially ripe, and the neighbors’ Manila were just plain bad!):

Rosigold
Maha Chinok
Glenn
Pina Colada
Valencia Pride (?)
Edward
Nam Doc Mai
Duncan
Mystery Mango (from a NDM labeled tree but not even close to the proper shape)

And then we did a cumulative rating based on Taste only, as we began to feel that if it didn’t have good flavor, then the other categories really held less meaning.  We kind of agreed that next time, we’d weight the “Taste” category on a 0 – 10 basis, thus doubling its influence on our rating system. The results based just on Taste were:

Edward
Rosie and Glenn (tied)
Pina Colada
Valencia Pride (?)
Maha Chinok
Nam Doc Mai
Duncan and Mystery Mango (tree labeled NDM)
(Kent and Manila not included)

Christina and I seemed to enjoy the sweeter varieties placing secondary importance on various complexities, where JF, Behl and Null Zero appeared to like more of the “in your face”  type mangoes with sweetness probably farther down their list of preference.  For example, what we called the “fake” Valencia Pride (so-called because of it’s small size and high fiber content) was really enjoyed by those 3 as it had a bit of a kick to it, and Christina and I turned our noses up a bit as we “munched” (J) on our pieces of fruit.  The "Mystery" mango looked, and tasted perhaps, somewhat like my Manilas on my tree (fattish and oval) but the tree was purchased and labeled as a Nam Doc Mai.  The Nam Doc Mai tested was true to shape but a bit overripe. The Florida Edward was a hit overall (even with the signature Florida anthracnose spots on it) while the Florida Duncan must have absorbed all the recent rains there as it was completly watered down and bland.  The Glenn had a large bad spot on it, but still soared and scored well with the tasters.  80% of the mangoes tested were picked off my trees with just a bit of color on them, still hard, and ripened by wrapping them in newspaper, placed in a box and put in a warm place a week before the contest.  Maybe with more tree-ripening before picking the tastes for some of them might have changed.

One of the biggest surprises was the beautiful Maha Chinok fruit, which really failed to live up to the overall hype it has gotten here at the forum, really turning in to a run of the mill variety during the contest.  Frank had sampled a Florida Maha two days before the tasting and testified that it's a superior variety for sure.  He thinks I will figure out all the soil additives, and I will see it respond better to the taste test in the future.  I still have some thought that, perhaps it simply doesn’t do well out here in the desert.  Guess we’ll see.

So a big thanks for my SoCal friends for coming out and enjoying a few hours of laughter and slurping mangoes with me.  We’ll definitely do it again next year and the year after as long as the mangoes keep saying, EAT ME! 

Gary (MangoFang)

(Apparently, in our excitement, we only photographed 5 mangoes!  Also, Nullzie, if you could post a picture of the participants since that was not in the link you sent me)

Mango Array

Rosigold

Florida Edward

Glenn

Florida Duncan

Maha Chinok

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Desert Mango Tasting Event 072313
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Sounds like a delicious event! Hope I can join you for the 2nd annual.

James
James

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
That sounds like a LOT of fun!! Glad you guys had a chance to meet up and do a Mango taste test Cali style...what could be more fun than that,lol...

Thanks for the reviews and mango pictures...Looking forward to seeing pics of the "tasters"  ;D

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Hey Gary, thanks for all the pics and information. How would you compare the Edwards mango frown in Florida to the ones we tried from Eunice's Edwards we sampled last year?
Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
THanks, Emeger and Nancy!

Simon - My memory seems to fail me lately, but.....was I even at Eunice's last year to sample
her Edwards?  JF asked me the same thing.  I mean, this Florida Edward was pretty damn good!
I really don't remember....sorry  :-[......Ask JF how he compares the two......

Gary

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
Was a great tasting loved the PC mango, definitely will be planting it in the ground.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »
I was blown away by your trees and your yard. You've turn your "riconcito" in the desert into a lush tropical paradise, BRAVO AMIGO!

Simon - Edward is an excellent mango anywhere it is grown.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »
Great post and photos Gary. I hope your festival will pick up steam and become a very successful annual event.
Michael

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
I was blown away by your trees and your yard. You've turn your "riconcito" in the desert into a lush tropical paradise, BRAVO AMIGO!

Simon - Edward is an excellent mango anywhere it is grown.

Wait until the mango canopy gets larger  ;D.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all.  You guys are definitely adding a little bit of Florida to California.

Interesting what you said about the Maha Chanok.  I was reading somewhere on this forum that people where not happy with their Maha Chanok even though they thought Harry's tasted great.  I was thinking that this might be attributed to soil conditions.  Harry says himself that he has muck soil and most of Florida doesn't.  You are in the desert so I'm assuming your soil is sandy.  Maybe adding clay to you sand would change the taste?  I'm hoping the fruit tastes great in my clay soil.

Bill

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all.  You guys are definitely adding a little bit of Florida to California.

Interesting what you said about the Maha Chanok.  I was reading somewhere on this forum that people where not happy with their Maha Chanok even though they thought Harry's tasted great.  I was thinking that this might be attributed to soil conditions.  Harry says himself that he has muck soil and most of Florida doesn't.  You are in the desert so I'm assuming your soil is sandy.  Maybe adding clay to you sand would change the taste?  I'm hoping the fruit tastes great in my clay soil.

Bill

Funny you say this, we were talking about this exact thing at the mango tasting. I am skipping Maha because I have a house with sandy soil. I am surely getting Pina Colada mango.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
California needs more of these  tastings to spread mango-itis around S California outside the ethnic neighborhoods and fruit enthusiasts. To the Joe Blows, yuppies, condo yuppies, hipsters, foodies etc

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »

Bill

Funny you say this, we were talking about this exact thing at the mango tasting. I am skipping Maha because I have a house with sandy soil. I am surely getting Pina Colada mango.

Nam Doc Mai is the best tasting Thai/Vietnamese mango for me so I have more than one tree. Not that I have ever tasted Maha Chanok :)  Pina Colada is very good (got one fruit this year) but not Thai/Vietnamese though perhaps derived from Thai/Vietnamese so is a poly seed?

Here is my South Florida soil breakdown

• Muck that veers to slightly acidic
  • alkaline loaded with ancient coral and limestone (What I have)   very bad news for citrus and I have experienced this first hand in failed citrus trees
  • 5 feet of sand (or sugar sand) which is neutral so OK for citrus or anything. Just use lots of wood chip mulch or compost to add black carbon organic matter which will retain vital minerals. Clay can do this too but South Florida is famously devoid of any (as in zero!!) clay content in most soils. Except the Redlands in Homestead which to my surprise does have some clay hence the name Redlands
If you have 5 ft of sand you can grow citrus and good Maha but might need micro-elements foliar or otherwise

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »
Very nice.... But I need more notice more participate...

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
Wow, sounds like you all had a nice tasting event @ Gary's in the desert. Thanks for posting! 8)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
Thanks Scott, Future...

Agree with you Zands, gotta try to spread the mango WORD around our area....

Best Day - yes, I'm sure hoping by adding some micronutrients and more potassium (well, really a well-
balanced N-P-K fertilizer) that may hopefully have some influence on the taste of those very pretty Maha's....Clay - I can't really get my hands on, but certainly it would be the elements of what's in clay (micro's???) that would ultimately effect the plant and the fruit, yes?  Well, I'm gonna try some different things and see what I can do for next year.....

Gary

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »
Gary,

Those super absorbent pellets will hold water dissolvable nutrients. Maybe take a metal rod and poke a couple 2-3ft holes into the sand around the trees then drop the pellets in it mixed with sand. Maybe poke 4 holes around each tree. Those water absorbing crystals are similar to these http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-100831-Storing-Crystals-12-Ounce/dp/B0042YYVYG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_4

I intend to use the crystals at the house with mostly sugar sand. I am hoping that I won't need any irrigation with it for establishing the drought tolerant plants such as Pomegranate, Olive, Jujube, and semi drought toleran; Mango, Sapodilla, Green sapote.

The crystals can be problematic if the overall soil is not fast draining. In a mostly sand soil spread out and used modestly, they should work well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:55:48 PM by nullzero »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
Thanks Nulls - so make the holes, then drop the pellets you gave me into the holes with sand....and THEN
pour the micronutrients (dissolved in water) into those holes?

What do you think?

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
Thanks Nulls - so make the holes, then drop the pellets you gave me into the holes with sand....and THEN

What do you think?

Gary

I would also amend the soil with organic chicken manure and redwood mulch. Put a couple of layers this fall and in January. This is what worked for Eunice in her sandy soil.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »

What do you think?

Gary

Yeah I would do exactly that with some azomite as well. What JF said with the mulch and chicken manure is great advice (though this will take longer to recondition the soil, maybe a few years to see good results). The water crystals with the micro's will benefit the tree pretty fast I would think, the roots will converge on the area (since the water retention). I would start off doing this on a few trees and add in some modest amounts of organic fertilizer into these holes as well.

Wait to see results, if you notice a significant improvement. I would expand the metal rod holes in multiple locations around the yard. The water crystals would act as an oasis of water and nutrients in the mostly sand soil (where most of the water drains away).

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
...ok..... many thanks!

Gary

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 01:40:55 PM »
Here is some pictures of the forum members that attended;

Left to Right; MangoFang, Null's GF, Me, JF, Behl

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »

Look at those big smiles on our faces...Behl didn't know it but I was wiping my hand on the back of his tee shirt :) boy mangos are good but they sure are slimy and sticky.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
I would say that this a true motley crew of mangophiles.  Love to see the satisfied look of mango satiation.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
This group looks like there all mangoed up and ready for trouble! ;) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk