Author Topic: Rambutan Fever in South Florida, USA  (Read 16222 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Rambutan Fever in South Florida, USA
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:50 PM »
Once you try a good pulasan, you can easily forget about the greatness of rambutans.

I don’t think I’ve tried a good Pulasan. So, I’ll keep a lookout for them. Meanwhile, the Rambutan Fever continues.

P.S.
They (the Rambutan) are hairy and red, rivaling (if not overpassing) the beauty of the Lychee; This fact is also a big Commercial plus!

I don't get it, sorry.  I've had both, and I'm perfectly happy with a good lychee.  Kinda like arguing which mango is best. OS, LZ or PPK??  Wouldn't you be happy with any of those??

Lychees are good, but it a different class.  Lychees are a favorite any day. If the choice was between longan, rambutan, and pulasan. I might take the worst named pulasan variety over the best longan or rambutan variety. There are probably as many named pulasan varieties as longan varieties. 

Disclaimer: I have 3 longans and 0 pulasans growing, but it is on my search list. It is extremely hard to find a good grafted one here.

Well thanks a ton!  Now I want a Pulasan!  Let me know if you find one.  You guys are hard on my wallet LOL...
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
Once you try a good pulasan, you can easily forget about the greatness of rambutans.

I don’t think I’ve tried a good Pulasan. So, I’ll keep a lookout for them. Meanwhile, the Rambutan Fever continues.

P.S.
They (the Rambutan) are hairy and red, rivaling (if not overpassing) the beauty of the Lychee; This fact is also a big Commercial plus!

I don't get it, sorry.  I've had both, and I'm perfectly happy with a good lychee.  Kinda like arguing which mango is best. OS, LZ or PPK??  Wouldn't you be happy with any of those??

Lychees are good, but it a different class.  Lychees are a favorite any day. If the choice was between longan, rambutan, and pulasan. I might take the worst named pulasan variety over the best longan or rambutan variety. There are probably as many named pulasan varieties as longan varieties. 

Disclaimer: I have 3 longans and 0 pulasans growing, but it is on my search list. It is extremely hard to find a good grafted one here.

Well thanks a ton!  Now I want a Pulasan!  Let me know if you find one.  You guys are hard on my wallet LOL...

Its an ultra  tropical.  Wont grow in Florida, how you gonna grow it in Cali?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »
Oscar
How are the seeds doing of the Tadal.
I was too late last year to order direct and I asked you if you had any and
I think you told me you already planted them? Isn't this rambutan suppose to
be able to handle frost and is from N India?
The tadal leaves were damaged by SO2 from volcanic eruption. Hoping it will come back, but too early to tell.
Yes the tadal is another species of nephelium that would perhaps make good cold hardy rootstock for rambutan. I doubt it is same species as rambutan. Just an unnamed species.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
Oscar

Another Nephelium species that might be interesting is Bulala. Oscar, should give you more info.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15363.0

Oscar,

When are you going to re-open your store ?.
Bulata (Nephelium phillippinensis) is indeed vigorous, but i doubt it is cold hardy. But not sure, i could be wrong. BTW bulala is good rootstock for pulasan. So that might be better tried in Florida for pulasan. It's hard to get species that are compatible with pulasan.
Good news! Looks like the eruption in our area is over. Working on reopening the seed page right now. Will be for sure done by tomorrow, maybe earlier.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:33:10 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Rambutan, introduced to northern Brazil several decades ago, does very well in the extremely acidic soils there--- usually below 5.5 pH, and usually rich in Iron and Manganese.

The climate is equatorial tropical, with 80-plus inches of rainfall, and record low of 60-degrees F.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:03:15 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »
Rambutan, introduced to northern Brazil several decades ago, does very well in the extremely acidic soils there--- usually below 5 pH, and usually rich in Iron and Manganese.

The climate is equatorial tropical, with 80-plus inches of rainfall, and record low of 60-degrees F.
Yes rambutan is grown commercially in Brazil. But the ones i ate there were not very good quality. They don't have good established cultivars there yet it seems.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 01:48:37 AM »
From my understanding: Lychee Season is first, then Longan, then Rambutan ... (with Pulasan? & Durian? Seasons mixed in there?)

Anyways, the way forward seems to be like a puzzle to be put together correctly in order to get the prized fruit. From Strategies, to hydroponics, to potting & greenhouses, the knowledge and ideas expressed are no less than impressive. - On a side note: Can’t wait for AGI, Artificial General Intelligence, to quickly give us masterful answers on the best approach to quickly obtain Rambutan in South Florida, hopefully within 10 years; AGI doesn’t need to sleep. - With all the expert effort and help coming from the exterior and interior, we are on course to a fruiting Rambutan in South Florida. It is just a matter of time, say in about 10 years, IMO.

P.S. Looking forward to potting my 20 or so Rambutan seeds in a quality potting soil, to give them a good head start. Then, I‘ll neglect them and let the brutality of nature take its course, while I watch the show unfold - keeping an eye out for any pleasant surprises.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 05:45:03 AM »
From my understanding: Lychee Season is first, then Longan, then Rambutan ... (with Pulasan? & Durian? Seasons mixed in there?)

Season is going to highly depend on area and climate.
Here rambutan comes first, usually February-March, then lychee May-June, then longan August-September, then Pulasan, October-November, then durian December-January. But this can also fluctuate somewhat from year to year. And some fruits, like rambutan and durian can fruit multiple times.
Oscar

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »

Anyways, the way forward seems to be like a puzzle to be put together correctly in order to get the prized fruit. From Strategies, to hydroponics, to potting & greenhouses, the knowledge and ideas expressed are no less than impressive. - On a side note: Can’t wait for AGI, Artificial General Intelligence, to quickly give us masterful answers on the best approach to quickly obtain Rambutan in South Florida, hopefully within 10 years; AGI doesn’t need to sleep. - With all the expert effort and help coming from the exterior and interior, we are on course to a fruiting Rambutan in South Florida. It is just a matter of time, say in about 10 years, IMO.

P.S. Looking forward to potting my 20 or so Rambutan seeds in a quality potting soil, to give them a good head start. Then, I‘ll neglect them and let the brutality of nature take its course, while I watch the show unfold - keeping an eye out for any pleasant surprises.

That sounds like a good plan. How long do you think rambutan can be held in pot before it get unmanageable? Looking at my picture on 1st page of this discussion, do you think I should dig it up and pot in a 15-20 gallon pot?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »

Season is going to highly depend on area and climate.
Here rambutan comes first, usually February-March, then lychee May-June, then longan August-September, then Pulasan, October-November, then durian December-January. But this can also fluctuate somewhat from year to year. And some fruits, like rambutan and durian can fruit multiple times.

Wow! I think I’m so jealous I have to call the Doctor  8)
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
The same Rambutan fruit traveling sales-person sold me more fruit this week. The ‘hair’ on the fruit, instead of red colored as of the previous purchase, this time the ‘hair’ was green! The rest of the fruit was red colored. He gave me a Huge Discount from the previous sale, - long story short- I bought all the Rambutan fruit he was selling.

The plan going forward: Eat a lot of Rambutan and plant all the seeds in pots with good quality soil in a sunny location. I’ll provide the seedlings with abundant water, and the rest of the outcome is up to the genetics of each seedling, the local soil, the weather conditions, and the rest of tyrannical Nature.

Rambutan Fever in South Florida is turning into Rambutan Madness.

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
seedlings are a possibility but it takes way too long ( up to 17 years ! personal experience ) to get fruits. Also when starting from a seedling only about half of the trees ( in the best case ! ) will produce fruits. What can be done to save time and efforts, is to graft the seedlings when they are 1 or 2 years old with selected varieties. There are many all around and the most important is to select scions from trees that produce good fruits you like and that fruit in similar conditions than the ones you have.
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 05:04:32 AM »
seedlings are a possibility but it takes way too long ( up to 17 years ! personal experience ) to get fruits. Also when starting from a seedling only about half of the trees ( in the best case ! ) will produce fruits. What can be done to save time and efforts, is to graft the seedlings when they are 1 or 2 years old with selected varieties. There are many all around and the most important is to select scions from trees that produce good fruits you like and that fruit in similar conditions than the ones you have.

You are absolutely right, so thank You for that, but not exactly the way you are thinking.

New-Rambutan Strategy Part 1 of 2
I’m looking for a Rambutan seedling that will survive the acidic/alkaline soil of South Florida and the cold Winter. I will know if I’ve found such a Rambutan seedling in about a year or two.  Thanks to your insight, I plan to use only the actual soil of South Florida when potting the Rambutan seeds. Then, the cultivar seedling that survives and thrives in the South Florida environment could aptly be named ‘Trophy’ Rambutan. Again, it’s worth repeating, we will know if we’ve  successfully found the desired Rambutan seedling in about a year or two.

New-Rambutan Strategy Part 2 of 2
If Part 1 is successful and we have a thriving ‘Trophy’ Rambutan seedling, then all we need to do is what You’ indirectly suggested: Import into South Florida, USA, a quality Rambutan cultivar(s) and graft it onto the ‘Trophy’ Rambutan seedling and then take it from there. This Part 2 of the Strategy could also take about a year or two.

The total time it would take to start a new Rambutan Industry in South Florida could be as little as about four (4) years. Which, of course, is much less than the 17 years mentioned that it would take for a seedling to bear fruit.

To increase the odds of success, increasing the genetic variety, by using seeds from different varieties of Rambutan, would seem to make the most sense and the best way to go.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:10:55 PM by LEOOEL »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
A "Rambutan industry in South Florida"...
hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
Certainly in realm of possibility.
Glad to hear someone is working on it.
One question though, wouldn't you need more than the rootstock to be well adapted to the cold?

Personally I think going with related species that shows (normally) some type of cold tolerance would be better.
That way your only looking for one major genetic abnormality. (pH)
Have no idea how these species taste though.

My few cents

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
And after you graft a selected variety onto your successful seedling, how are you going to reproduce that seedling to be able to graft many?
Har

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
This thread was just upgraded from the dream into fantasy world.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Certainly in realm of possibility.
Glad to hear someone is working on it.
One question though, wouldn't you need more than the rootstock to be well adapted to the cold?

Personally I think going with related species that shows (normally) some type of cold tolerance would be better.
That way your only looking for one major genetic abnormality. (pH)
Have no idea how these species taste though.

My few cents

Yes, in South Florida we would prefer to find a Rambutan Seedling (‘Trophy?’) with 2 genetic traits that will compensate for (1) the Winter Cold Weather, and (2) the Soil pH of the S. Florida environment. I agree that this is well within the realm of possibility and quite doable, since we have to compensate for just 2 variables: Weather and Soil-pH.

Side-Note: The odds of success, of finding a ‘Trophy’ Rambutan are very good because there are only 2 variables to achieve in order to win. In the Cash-3 Florida Lottery Game for example, you have to get 3 numbers correct in order to win.

In my previous New-Strategy (Part 1/2),
the Speed of finding ‘Trophy’ Rambutan is really fast (about 1-2 years) if the Rambutan seed is planted (or potted) Only in South Florida soil. In other words, your answer from Nature, time wise, is quick: Rambutan-Seedling-Death OR Rambutan-Seedling-Life. And, yes, when you get Life (‘Trophy’ Rambutan), You will need to get verification that it does thrive in this environment, by observing its development through several winters. The more years pass by, the more confirmation that You indeed have the ‘Trophy’ Rambutan.

With regards to New-Strategy (Part 2/2),
You are basically Scott Free as they say. The good thing is that you then have Options. For Example:
(1) You could wait however long it takes for the tree to bear fruit and be surprised by its quality or lack thereof.
(2) Import different varieties of Rambutan that produce quality Rambutan fruit and graft them onto the ‘Trophy.’ Then, time will tell which one is most compatible with the weather-variable. This approach, although it is quite doable, because you just have to compensate for just 1 variable (the Weather), it does require some: Import/Export expertise, $Money, and Time (I would guess about 5 years).
(3) Maybe multiple Fruit Enthusiasts, possibly in this Forum, will find multiple Rambutan Seedlings that Thrive in the South Florida environment, now that would be the ultimate preferred outcome. It would be the beginning of a solid South Florida Rambutan Industry consisting of multiple South Florida Rambutan Cultivars.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
This thread was just upgraded from the dream into fantasy world.

Actually, I would say sillyness progessing to stupidity...
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
Usually a fruit has to have been proven to grow well in an area before anyone will risk starting a commercial venture. So far i think only 2 people have fruited rambutan in Florida, Bill Whitman and Adolf Grimel? It is extremely rare that a fruit will go from total obscurity in being grown in an area to being grown commercially.
The rambutan is a well accepted commercial fruit. It is widely liked. So it's good to try to grow it out of it's normal range. But getting to commercial stage, if it is possible at all, would take decades of development, not 2 years.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
The rambutan is a well accepted commercial fruit. It is widely liked. So it's good to try to grow it out of it's normal range. But getting to commercial stage, if it is possible at all, would take decades of development, not 2 years.

What exactly has to happen during decades of development for rambutan to become commercial crop in FL ?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
Usually a fruit has to have been proven to grow well in an area before anyone will risk starting a commercial venture. So far i think only 2 people have fruited rambutan in Florida, Bill Whitman and Adolf Grimel? It is extremely rare that a fruit will go from total obscurity in being grown in an area to being grown commercially.

And its not like people with a wealth of plant knowledge havent tried..
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

What exactly has to happen during decades of development for rambutan to become commercial crop in FL ?
It's not just for Florida. If you look at history of commercialization of fruit crops in any area, they don't happen in a couple of years. Most important is trials of varieties to see what kind of production can be achieved, and this takes a long time. Then comes marketing aspect...getting consumers aware of the fruit and wanting to buy it. This usually takes a lot of advertising and lots of free samples.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
Oscar

Another Nephelium species that might be interesting is Bulala. Oscar, should give you more info.

Oscar,

Bulata (Nephelium phillippinensis) is indeed vigorous, but i doubt it is cold hardy. But not sure, i could be wrong. BTW bulala is good rootstock for pulasan. So that might be better tried in Florida for pulasan. It's hard to get species that are compatible with pulasan.
Good news! Looks like the eruption in our area is over. Working on reopening the seed page right now. Will be for sure done by tomorrow, maybe earlier.

Thanks Oscar.

I believe you usually have Nephelium phillippinensis seeds in April/May. right ?.
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 03:25:13 AM »
Oscar

Oscar,

Thanks Oscar.

I believe you usually have Nephelium phillippinensis seeds in April/May. right ?.
June-July. Had bumper crop last year. Trees very heavily laden, some branches broke from weight of all the fruits.
Oscar