Author Topic: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos  (Read 28581 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
Well, am super excited that all of the 7 grafts I did recently are pushing like this Cotton Candy.  Have a couple more to do in the morn, probably Cushman and Zinc.  Some started pushing as early as only 8 days after grafting. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
Well, am super excited that all of the 7 grafts I did recently are pushing like this Cotton Candy.  Have a couple more to do in the morn, probably Cushman and Zinc.  Some started pushing as early as only 8 days after grafting. 

While it doesnt nean failure but pushing in less than 2 weeks does not mean it took (as I am sure you know).  That early push is most likely due to the energy that was already in the budwood/bud itself.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
While it doesnt nean failure but pushing in less than 2 weeks does not mean it took (as I am sure you know).  That early push is most likely due to the energy that was already in the budwood/bud itself.

Yep, I understand.  Pretty confident I got a good cambium match though.  Won't count my eggs for another 2 weeks.

Crazy as I grafted (mainly T-bud) 3 citrus varieties to a robust key lime tree about 2 months ago at about 4' above ground.  Those damn shoots are already 9' above ground with shoots approaching 1/2" girth at the graft. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
It's also a factor of the time of year. I note some callous development on the cut at the bottom of the graft, and the push looks pretty healthy. I think she's a take.

Jeff  :-)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
It's also a factor of the time of year. I note some callous development on the cut at the bottom of the graft, and the push looks pretty healthy. I think she's a take.

I must be holding my mouth right.  :D  They're all pushing and the first grafts to push now have leafsets that are 3" wide.

Been using Buddy Tape and THE grafting secret tool - a Schick Injector blade held by a #3 medium Excel knife.  Also sanitize my hands and tools and keep the scions in an ice chest by my side as I work.  Did Zinc and Cushman yesterday and have been applying clothespins over the buddy tape wrap to give better cambium contact.  Twisting the buddy tape into a rope gives good pressure full length too.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Nice graft's Mark, your becoming quite the expert! Congrat's on your successful graft's! Schick blade is the best tip Carlos past on to us all ;)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
Nice graft's Mark, your becoming quite the expert! Congrat's on your successful graft's! Schick blade is the best tip Carlos past on to us all ;)

Thanks Scott.  I think I can speak for all successful grafters who start with this little tree and reap the benefits years later - makes a pappy proud.

Now, next to Carlos' goodie, I have to say the next best tool for farm, ranch, orchard, and home is a WorkSharp. 

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I appreciate the video links,  I find it very interesting what Campbell is attempting to do.   I do see a few discrepancies in his comments, maybe I heard him wrong,  he mentions that trees are planted at about 10 ft apart. and in one part of the video says he will increase the amount of trees per half acre,  later he says he might have to pull some out.   

It will be interesting to see if he is able to keep plants dwarfed solely by pushing production.   having so many trees so close together,  with little circulation seems like an invitation for fungal problems down the line. 

In regard to Dr Campbell's strategy keeping them dwarf does work--Over ten years ago I planted a 3 gal Hatcher and the combination of letting it fruit early and minimal fertilizer(+ neglect) has stunted/dwarfed the tree. 

I have already had six mangos off the tree and it still is loaded as usual. generally, get one or two flushes after harvest. 

I have a similar aged Doni avocado ten feet away that did suffer some die-back from letting it hold too much fruit.

I won't be needing power saws on these trees for quite a while.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:49:05 AM by FLnative »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Took this shot during my Before the Sun Rises walk.  Am a proud papa!!!!! 

Anyone have a thought whether the dwarfing/compact nature of the Mallika "interspecific" rootstock will impact the size of these Zill varieties? 

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:06:14 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
I have a similar aged Doni avocado ten feet away that did suffer some die-back from letting it hold too much fruit.

I won't be needing power saws on these trees for quite a while.

Fruit load will definately affect tree vigor.  It can be used as a management tool though.  I almost killed Mouvedre grapevines by letting them hold grapes the second leaf.  In spite of their fully developed mature cordons the crop load severely stunted the vines.  Needless to say I dropped all the grapes.  When you see that affect doesn't matter how big or far along the fruit is - drop them!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:04:33 AM by Mark in Texas »

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
The tree died back in 2015
Here are pictures of the tree holding fruit before dieback.

The tree’s upper canopy didn’t recover and died back after harvest. For the first time, the tree skipped a season-2016.  I might take some off early this year.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
From Thiago Campbell:

"Late Julie has a sweet lemony flavor with overtones of citrus. It is fiberless and a Julie seedling.

Fair One is a sweet Southeast Asian flavor, somewhere between a Thai and a Vietnamese mango. It is a cross between Edward and Carabao."

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
From Thiago Campbell:

"Late Julie has a sweet lemony flavor with overtones of citrus. It is fiberless and a Julie seedling.

Fair One is a sweet Southeast Asian flavor, somewhere between a Thai and a Vietnamese mango. It is a cross between Edward and Carabao."

"Fair One" is a mango that already has a name : Wester. It is Edward x Earle #15 from David Sturrock's breeding program.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Ouch

Fruitsy

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2017, 01:01:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing. :)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
From Thiago Campbell:

"Fair One" is a mango that already has a name : Wester. It is Edward x Earle #15 from David Sturrock's breeding program.

Relooked and they list Wester separately in the same sales email.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
Shot taken about a month ago, second leaf flush on the cocktail tree.  Man, the internodes on some like Cotton Candy and Pineapple Pleasure are really long, like 12". 

We finished our last Lemon Zest 2 weeks ago and I cut the last of the Sweet Tart last night.  I assume we're about 3 - 5 mos. behind Florida's season.

Seed is on the left of this LZ.  Noticed it's quite a bit smaller than a ST seed.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
I noticed that as well with the Cotton Candy. For a cultivar that is supposed to be dwarf/semi-dwarf the internodes are long. I wonder if it will turn out to be vigorous as grafted trees.

Shot taken about a month ago, second leaf flush on the cocktail tree.  Man, the internodes on some like Cotton Candy and Pineapple Pleasure are really long, like 12". 

We finished our last Lemon Zest 2 weeks ago and I cut the last of the Sweet Tart last night.  I assume we're about 3 - 5 mos. behind Florida's season.

Seed is on the left of this LZ.  Noticed it's quite a bit smaller than a ST seed.

-Josh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
Looks like you might have a little bit of soft-nose on that LZ. You might want to give it more calcium.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »
Looks like you might have a little bit of soft-nose on that LZ. You might want to give it more calcium.

Thanks for the advice.  About 2 mos. ago I top dressed the pots with gypsum fines I shoveled into a bucket from a gypsum mine quarry.  I think the jelly nose you smartly picked up on may be from storing in the fridge for about 2 weeks.  All the other fresh mangos were fine.  I'll add more though.

Courtesy of Georgia Pacific.  ;)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
I noticed that as well with the Cotton Candy. For a cultivar that is supposed to be dwarf/semi-dwarf the internodes are long. I wonder if it will turn out to be vigorous as grafted trees.

It is what it is.  I have treated the leggy Lemon Zest with Bonzai, a PGR, and really knocked down the internode lengths.  Will do the same for whatever needs that kind of treatment plus pruning.  Don't know why Bonzai is not used or labeled here in the states for consumables.  It's applied at high tech, specialty greenhouse grown avocados and been used in Indian mango orchards for decades.  PPM mixed is miniscule, like 2%.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »
"Diamond" is hot garbage. It was originally HW-14, then Richard named it "Fairchild Diamond". The name was then changed to Diamond. It's one of the worst mangos I've ever eaten and tastes like a vegetable.

Cecilove is 34-24, a Carrie seedling from the Zill project.

Richard used Piva quite a bit at Fairchild Farm and it did dwarf some trees.

So on my recent trip to Dr. C, he showcased 3 dwarfing rootstocks, including a Piva. Another was a Costa Rican variety. The 3rd might have been Israeli.  He stated the trouble with dwarf rootstock is it takes so long to grow (makes sense).  My challenge is even greater - growing it to bearing age to get more rootstock...

Anyone using Piva other dwarfing rootstocks?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
Personal communications indicate that dwarfing root-stocks found so far, dwarf some varieties well, and others not at all.  Sounds as though nurseries could end up with a complicated mess of different seedling batches.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk