Author Topic: Moro Blood Orange leaves turning yellow  (Read 1395 times)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Moro Blood Orange leaves turning yellow
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:08:37 PM »
Hi all..

First time posting in the citrus section here.
I bought this tree in late January and finally got around to planting it 3 weeks ago.  Right before planting it in the ground the leaves at the bottom are turning yellow.  After planting it, I think I over-watered the tree a bit.  Now there are more leaves turning yellow.   As from the pictures, the veins of the leave turn yellow first.  Is this a symptom of over-watered or nitrogen deficiency or iron deficiency?  What can I do to correct this problem?

Thank you.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Moro Blood Orange leaves turning yellow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
Also, I haven't apply any fertilizer on this tree yet because the guy at the nursery told me don't fertilize for a couple of months.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:12:13 AM »
Probably just acclimating and also the change of seasons. It might shed some of the old growth and new growth will flush out. Since it's in the ground it only needs watering about every 4 days this time of year, every 3 days when it warms up. Good luck!

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 03:52:43 AM »
Veins yellow symmetrically would point to lack of Nitrogen. All yellow except veins dark green first in young leaves: lack of iron, zinc or mg. Asymmetric patches of yellow in leaves and corrugated leaves would point to Citrus greening disease.

As this is seems to appear in old leaves I would assume lack of Nitrogen. The tree is either creating new roots and needs nitrogen or their old roots were damaged by stagnant water and is getting rid of some old leaves to compensate it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:04:08 AM by pvaldes »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
"Nitrogen deficiency is also associated with senescing foliage, which can develop a yellow-bronze appearance prior to leaf abscission." from https://www.haifa-group.com/citrus-tree-fertilizer/crop-guide-citrus-plant-nutrition

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
I think Sylvain is correct.  They just look like old leaves being discarded by the tree.  However, before the tree discards the leaves it first removes the nutrients to be reused  again elsewhere. The life of a citrus leaf is approximately 18 months.  Notice that the leaves that are yellowing are the oldest leaves of the tree.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:57:30 PM »
Thank you for all the feedbacks  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk