Author Topic: Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?  (Read 10569 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
Which variety of Lychee do you prefer, Brewster or Mauritius and why? I really like the intense Lychee/Rose scent and flavor of the Brewster Lychee but I'm not a fan of their large seed. Brewster Lychees, like many other varieties of Lychees also has a slight tannin taste to my palate which seems to accumulate as you pop more and more Lychee shells with your teeth, I'm assuming the tannins are coming from the peel. The fruit quality is exceptional in my opinion because the smell is 50% of the eating experience and I can't think of a better smelling Lychee, even No Mai Tsze is not as strong smelling.

Anyways, some of you may have seen my post about Leo Manuels unusual Brewster Lychee tree which has an exceptionally high percentage of chicken tongue seeds. His tree can have up to about 80-90% chicken tongue seeds in some panicles but I'm estimating the average for the whole tree is really closer to 70% chicken tongue seeds.  The large seeds was the major reason Brewster was not high on my list of varieties of Lychees to plant but Leo's tree has changed my mind.

We still don't know exactly why Leo's Brewster has such a high percentage of chicken tongue seeds but I am guessing that it has to do with being planted in close proximity with a Sweetheart Lychee which is known to have atrophied seeds. I'm theorizing that the pollen from the Sweetheart is pollinating the Brewster. I'll get more data points in years where only one tree blooms but this year and last, both trees bloomed and are holding fruit.

I know Florida has both Brewster and Mauritius Lychees, which variety do you prefer and why? I believe in a previous poll, Mauritius was favored but I still don't understand why. I've tasted Mauritius and Brewster many times and my personal preference is Brewster because of the smell and wonderful Lychee/rose flavor and sweet sweet flesh. Mauritius is also a great fruit but slightly less sweet and lacks the smell and Lychee/rose taste. Also, when picked less than fully ripe, there is a tart component.

Simon

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
I was always a member of the Brewster is better camp.  In recent years, I have begun to really appreciate the consistency of fruiting of Mauritius. The motto.....the best lychee is the one in hand, perfectly ripe and juicy ready to be eaten. I think that if you could have a side by side comparison taste test of perfectly ripe fruit (which isn't likely to happen because of different maturing times) the majority of lychee aficionados would select Brewster as superior.  But again, Mauritius has closed the gap on this in recent years in my personal taste view point.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »
Last year our Mauritius, Sweetheart, and Brewster were ripe at the same time. The trees are only about 3 years old, but we both preferred the taste of the Mauritius. They were all good, but the Mauritius seemed to have more complexity of flavor to us. Hopefully soon we can taste them again.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:11 AM »

I too prefer Mauritius but when those are gone...bring on the Brewsters  ;D

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
Definitely prefer the taste of Brewster. But up in Ocala I can't be too choosy. My favorite that I have had were ohia and farwell ranch from Harrys place a few years ago.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Different people, different preferences, it's a beautiful thing. There's no right or wrong. For the members that prefer the Mauritius, I'm guessing the extra bit of acidity gives it an added complexity for you?

What about the smell? What do you Lychee lovers consider the best smelling Lychee? I've don't recall ever eating "Rose Scented or Gui Wei" but in my opinion, Brewster smells like its rose scented. To me, smell is a big part of the Lychee eating experience. Here is a pic of Leos Brewster tree, picture taken about 3 weeks ago. His big Sweetheart is a bit ahead of the Brewster with larger fruit.

Simon

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
Yes Simon, I think that's what it comes down to, those like myself who prefer a little tart balance (although it must be said a properly ripened Mauritius doesn't lack for sweetness).. I too love Mauritius, not only over Brewster but most others I've tasted.

But hey, as said on this forum many times the best tasting lychee is whatever type you have available and in hand. It's too variable a fruit (production-wise) to be too picky.

Although I must say, I didn't like sweetcliff, and would probably pass if that's all that was available.
always longing for a JA Julie

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
Brewster easily although SweetbCliff is more intense and has smaller seeds

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »
Last year our Mauritius, Sweetheart, and Brewster were ripe at the same time. The trees are only about 3 years old, but we both preferred the taste of the Mauritius. They were all good, but the Mauritius seemed to have more complexity of flavor to us. Hopefully soon we can taste them again.

It is very uncommon, in my experience, to have Brewster fully mature and ripe the same time as Mauritius. You are saying that they are all grown at the same location? I wasn't there to see/taste the fruit so I have to rely on your assessment of maturity/ripeness.  I must confess some skepticism about the Brewsters reaching their full potential at the same time as Mauritius.  How many fruits are we talking about in the harvest/tasting?  Were any of the Brewster fruit allowed to stay on the tree longer to see if they would improve in flavor overall eating quality? What was the time of the year (if you can specify the date of the tasting)......maybe your Mauritius were late?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Sorry to change the subject, but I have to ask the lychee experts.  Which variety is the most compact, most manageable tree if you wanted to keep it under 15 feet?  Can you do that with a lychee tree?
John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:51 PM »
Sorry to change the subject, but I have to ask the lychee experts.  Which variety is the most compact, most manageable tree if you wanted to keep it under 15 feet?  Can you do that with a lychee tree?

Any lychee can be kept under growth control and could comply with the height specifications you mention.  For me Emperor provides the most compact growth. But if you have 15 feet to spare, I would not pick emperor merely because of it more compact growth habit. Bosworth 3 a/k/a Kwai Mai Pink also has been compact at my house.  But, I am not sure if this was a function of the particular air layers that I planted out or is a true cultivar characteristic.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 09:06:47 PM »

It is very uncommon, in my experience, to have Brewster fully mature and ripe the same time as Mauritius. You are saying that they are all grown at the same location? I wasn't there to see/taste the fruit so I have to rely on your assessment of maturity/ripeness.  I must confess some skepticism about the Brewsters reaching their full potential at the same time as Mauritius.  How many fruits are we talking about in the harvest/tasting?  Were any of the Brewster fruit allowed to stay on the tree longer to see if they would improve in flavor overall eating quality? What was the time of the year (if you can specify the date of the tasting)......maybe your Mauritius were late?
They were all in our back yard and all turned red within a week of each other. We thought it was unusual too. The trees are very young and we only had around 10 fruits on each tree. They were all red in color, but perhaps the Brewster would have improved with more time (though I doubt the fruits would have lasted much longer with birds and other wildlife. This year, it looks like the Mauritius will ripen before the Brewster.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
If you give me one of each I would pick Brewster.  If you give me a handful of each I would pick Mauritius.  I slightly like the taste of Brewster better but it's large seed is a huge turn off.  Last year I was fortunately able to get a taste of both lychees when there were ripe.   I could sit all day with Mauritius 4lbs to be exact :)  Brewster on the other hand I got a bit flustered after eating a handful.  The first 2 was intriguing but t can't get over doing all that work and end up with a big seed in my hands. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
If you give me one of each I would pick Brewster.  If you give me a handful of each I would pick Mauritius.  I slightly like the taste of Brewster better but it's large seed is a huge turn off.  Last year I was fortunately able to get a taste of both lychees when there were ripe.   I could sit all day with Mauritius 4lbs to be exact :)  Brewster on the other hand I got a bit flustered after eating a handful.  The first 2 was intriguing but t can't get over doing all that work and end up with a big seed in my hands.

That's what makes Leos Brewster tree so special, such a high percentage of chicken tongue seeds. I'll have to check back this year to see if it happens again. I've read in literature that some farmers prefer to take air layers from trees or sections of trees with higher percentage of chicken tongue seeds. I put on several air layers on Leo's tree and hopefully this trait is passed on.

Does anyone else notice the wonderful Lychee/rose scent and flavor of Brewster?

Simon

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »
That's what makes Leos Brewster tree so special, such a high percentage of chicken tongue seeds. I'll have to check back this year to see if it happens again. I've read in literature that some farmers prefer to take air layers from trees or sections of trees with higher percentage of chicken tongue seeds. I put on several air layers on Leo's tree and hopefully this trait is passed on.

that's why im interested in an airlayer too don't forget me  :) It will have a home close to my Sweetheart

Gemini too

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
I used to live in Homestead, Miami, close to Avocado Elementary. We had 2 lychee trees. One in front and one on back. No other lychee in the neighborhood for at least 20 years. The both had a huge percentage of chicken tongue seeds. And by far the best lychees down here. Yes, if you peel the skin with your teeth, you will get the taninn aftertaste. I don't mind peeling by hand , that way avoiding the taste.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
I used to live in Homestead, Miami, close to Avocado Elementary. We had 2 lychee trees. One in front and one on back. No other lychee in the neighborhood for at least 20 years. The both had a huge percentage of chicken tongue seeds. And by far the best lychees down here. Yes, if you peel the skin with your teeth, you will get the taninn aftertaste. I don't mind peeling by hand , that way avoiding the taste.
? ? ? ? ? ?  Topic: Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:06:20 AM by johnb51 »
John

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Can a Mauritius Lychee be harvested before the fruit turn fully red ? Mine are almost fully red , but lots of the fruit are splitting ! , can I harvest them and ripen them off 5he tree ?

5hanks Ed
Zone 10

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
I would taste a few to see if it’s sweet enough for you. Once harvested, Lychees won’t sweeten up any more.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »
Thanks Simon did not know that !
Zone 10

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »

You're SO lucky, the the squirrels ate 90% of my harvest and they weren't even sweet yet  :'( :'(

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
I just picked one and it was outstanding! I picked them all !
I was going to pull out this tree , but after tasting the sweet fruit , it’s a keeper !

Ed

My wife and girls loved the taste !
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 11:47:18 PM »
Even though the Brewster lychee is a superior quality fruit (IMO), I still prefer the Mauritius lychee (drunken characteristics, behaviors and all) because it’s way much closer to consistent fruit production than the Brewster lychee.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 01:47:41 PM »
Most members in Florida say that Mauritius lychee is a consistent producer. However some members in So-Cal say that their Mauritius only bears fruit every 2 or 3 years.

What is the odd? I have a Mauritius in a prime spot, it is about 4 ft tall and wide, a healthy happy tree. But if it will only fruit once every 2-3 years, I would rather pull it out and put a Sweet Tart Mango on the spot.
I already have a Brewster and it is 4 ft tall too, not as wide, planted at the same time 2 years ago and it has 5 fruit now. Mauritius has 0, not even flowers this year. So it worries me about the idea of only getting fruit every 3 years.

Please Mauritius growers in So-Cal, share your experiences!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 06:41:46 PM by palingkecil »

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 05:58:18 PM »
Here in San Gabriel, Mauritius does pretty well for me. It started to produce regularly around year 7. It will bear heavy one year and light on the next. It's been pretty consistent. This year has very little blooms cause I over fertilized trying to push my grafts.  Overall,  I'm very happy with this tree.

Some fruits from last year

This year's flush