Author Topic: Why to take excellent care of your mango tree. w/photos to prove it!  (Read 14540 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Why to take excellent care of your mango tree. w/photos to prove it!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words.. I basically have taken the information from the various recommendations of those who have researched it and been successful and done all of them.  The hard part is to take the time to do it over and over.. If I don't use a schedule time passes quick and before you know it you miss a step.  I find it helpful to have certain days of the month I stick to.. The first in for foliar, the fifteenth is for ground application.. When things are really producing mass I add in the drenching.  Bill Whitman's book is a true inspiration, and a must read if you haven't already.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »
This is my Maha Chanok in June of 2011 right after transplanting out of a three gallon pot.

This is the same tree less than three years later with 124 fruit on it.

I fertilize all but three months of the year by air, ground, water, and prune every tip, I took out a main scaffold branch this winter that was 2 1/2" diameter.  I also run my sprinklers very heavily to maintain my lawn, and mulch about once every three months. This tree produced from year one. 

Awesome job!! This is inspirational, and I am sure many others here will share my opinion.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »
Just to let all know, I can see Patrick's trees as we speak from my home in West Boynton.   How so you ask, there is a distinct glow in the sky fo the Northeast.    ;) ;D 8)
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:08 AM »
Bangkok - here in Florida,  the Mahachanok is not a fast grower.  Patrick's trees are not the norm.  Most do not provide themthe...feeding regimen...that he does.  Also, if you were to see most average backyard growers' trees, you wojld see the leaves on most mango trees are not perfect in any way.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »
I had a couple people PM me about my mix, heres a link to the explanation and breakdown of my mixes.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.msg2849#msg2849

How to make horticultural liquid crack.  :D
Alexi

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 03:35:51 AM »
very nice mango tree good job.
 i pruned away my glenn mango flowers and now its dying very sad :(

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
Thanks again Patric. Photos tell the story! and prove your foliar system works.
Though watering your lawn heavily also should be hitting your fruit trees and helping growth

Or do you shut of sprinklers near mango trees during the months they are dormant plus ones they are blooming and carrying fruits
Do you arrange your sprinkler heads to not hit certain fruit trees?

I am redoing my lawn sprinklers myself and getting a new well pump. Old one bit the bust

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
Thanks again Patric. Photos tell the story! and prove your foliar system works.
Though watering your lawn heavily also should be hitting your fruit trees and helping growth

Or do you shut of sprinklers near mango trees during the months they are dormant plus ones they are blooming and carrying fruits
Do you arrange your sprinkler heads to not hit certain fruit trees?

I am redoing my lawn sprinklers myself and getting a new well pump. Old one bit the bust

I water everything year round with my sprinklers, but not too deep.  In the winter months I cut back to twice a week, sixteen minutes per zone (5-8am).  During the hotter months I water three times a week at sixteen minutes per zone (5-8am).  If it gets really dry (like now) I will add an eight minute pin to each zone in the evening those days(early enough for the air to evaporate most the surface water to avoid fungus issues)  I have recently been deep watering my mamey trees with a hose timer, I do three minutes every two days and move the hose N-S-E-W of the trunk near the drip lines alternating each time.  My mango trees hold fruit,  I think consistency helps.  I had fruit split on my NDM after monsoon rains the past two years, but some of the larger fruit made it to maturity even then. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:36:37 AM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

I water everything year round with my sprinklers, but not too deep.  In the winter months I cut back to twice a week, sixteen minutes per zone.  During the hotter months I water three times a week at sixteen minutes per zone.  If it gets really dry (like now) I will add an eight minute pin to each zone in the evening those days(long enough for the air to evaporate most the surface water to avoid fungus issues)  I have recently been deep watering my mamey trees with a hose timer, I do three minutes every two days and move the hose N-S-E-W of the trunk near the drip lines alternating each time.  My mango trees hold fruit,  I think consistency helps.  I had fruit split on my NDM after monsoon rains the past two years, but some of the larger fruit made it to maturity even then.

• What I am getting from your reply---
  • Your entire yard gets irrigated by your lawn grass sprinklers
  • You do nothing to make their water miss the mango trees during panicle formation etc etc. They and other fruit trees get hit with as much irrigation water as the grass/
  • But you are not irrigating deeply so it does not negatively affect mangoes and others
  • shallow irrigation is your method for the grass and that some of this water happens to hit the fruit tress is not having a negative effect. Might even be positive
  • plus consistent schedule of irrigation keeps mango fruits from cracking
****BTW you are keeping your trees mulch moist so it breaks down to black humus quicker
****plus the heavy mulch you use is kind of a drip irrigation system when you factor in the frequent lawn irrigation
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:02:10 AM by zands »

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
haha you're gonna have a jungle there in no time.

With the rate that those things are growing, you should consider investing in a good hammermill chipper shredder. Mackissic makes a really nice one. http://www.mackissic.com/Hammermill%20Shredder-Chippers.html I have the chinese knock-off version, and it's lasted me 7 or 8 years and still runs. I might have to invest in a Mackissic here pretty soon though.

I wish I had your sandy soil.

Don't give him any ideas. Well, it's been an hour so he's probably already ordered one online.

The only thing that stopped me was the acceptance size.. It looks like the lesser models can only handle 3/4" or smaller branches?

If you look around on ebay or Craig's list you can find the pt 12 model for around $500. Takes three inch branches in the chipper   The shredder takes almost one inch stuff. Highly reccomended and works great.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »
Wow! This thread diverted! :o Nice looking tree Patrick! I have definitely seen a leap in growth in my trees since instituting your fert regime, though haven't been as consistent...this is some good motivation! Let me know when the taste testing is or u may wake up to an empty mango tree! :)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
Wow!! That's an amazing growth rate...I have a Pickering that took off close to that  ;)

Great Job!!!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 03:43:20 PM »
Patrick - an amazing amazing job.  One quickie - did you ever pick off fruitlets
in the first year (or two) to focus on tree growth?

Also from a reply you gave - "..... The first in for foliar, the fifteenth is for ground application.. When things are really producing mass I add in the drenching....."

What would be the diff. between ground application and drenching?

thanks, gary

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
Ground application - ex: Granular Fertilizer  spread lightly  around the drip line and watered in .
Drenching             -  ex: Liquid  Iron drench or liquid fertilizer mixed up and poured  around the drip line

Maybe that's what he meant !

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
Patrick - an amazing amazing job.  One quickie - did you ever pick off fruitlets
in the first year (or two) to focus on tree growth?

Also from a reply you gave - "..... The first in for foliar, the fifteenth is for ground application.. When things are really producing mass I add in the drenching....."

What would be the diff. between ground application and drenching?

thanks, gary
Ground application - ex: Granular Fertilizer  spread lightly  around the drip line and watered in .
Drenching             -  ex: Liquid  Iron drench or liquid fertilizer mixed up and poured  around the drip line

Maybe that's what he meant !

Ground application in granular on the soil surface, foliar/aerial on the leaves, drench in liquid into the mulch/soil.

I do remove fruit from my trees when they are small if they don't abort.  The first 18 months are crucial for rapid growth, fruiting stops the process, and flower spikes retard the growth of a small tree so I usually cut them off below the start of the panicle to get rid of the weird lump.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
Patrick-- do you think your foliar program leads to less fruit drop for mangoes. Have you noticed less dropping than your neighbors trees?  I have had too much drop this year. I have been thinking some foliar trace mineral might work against this. Thanks!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
I'm curious if your mango suffers from softnose.  Its reported and I've seen it with my trees that too much nitrogen fertilizer brings about softnose (jelly seed) in mango. 

Too much watering also can effect the quality of fruit as well. 

Obviously by the photos your tree is very healthy and growing great.   Is it possible that the tree would have even more fruit on it with less care?   There is no doubt mango likes and grow great in fertile conditions.  But, also its known that mango like to be stressed and its best not to encourage the tree to grow too fast.   Mango are very drought tolerant and in Florida we get enough rain to support them.

I've seen mango growing in old dilapidated and abandoned groves holding an overabundance of fruit. In contrast, I've seen well maintained trees not produce.   I've been growing mango for 20 years and have never watered or chemically fertilized my trees and they produce great with no care.   Of course, I'm just a homeowner hobbyist and I don't need too much production for it to produce enough for me.  My problem now is shading, as the trees have shaded themselves out and we all know they need full sun to fruit. 

I'm suggesting that maybe that you are providing too much care for your trees and that although you are getting a lot of fruit that the fruit may be inferior or has softnose. 

Its an interesting discussion for me as I always tell people to never water or fertilize mango.  They don't need it.  But, again, I also can be wrong and there is no true absolute right or wrong on growing mango.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
Patrick-- do you think your foliar program leads to less fruit drop for mangoes. Have you noticed less dropping than your neighbors trees?  I have had too much drop this year. I have been thinking some foliar trace mineral might work against this. Thanks!

Are you giving your trees any supplemental watering or letteing mother nature take it course?
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
How soon after the maha develops a blush will they be ready for picking ?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »

Are you giving your trees any supplemental watering or letteing mother nature take it course?

I have not been watering mango trees with fruit. My own take is due to the warm winter the mango trees put forth too many fruits. I never saw so many mango clusters on trees. These mango are getting thinned out by mother nature late. Early is much more preferable

Next time-year I have this happen I am going to do some thinning. It is a ridiculous waste of the trees resources to grow fruits to a good size  then have them drop off.
Most years we blame spring winds. This year there was no spring wind blowing off the weaker ones.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
This year has been a really bad year for fruit drop.
Jeff  :-)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
This year has been a really bad year for fruit drop.

I absolutely agree with you! Its already a light crop for me and its not like my trees can afford it  :'(