Author Topic: Length of ripening for different mango varieties  (Read 1364 times)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Length of ripening for different mango varieties
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »
So, I was thinking the other day about how long it takes for mangoes to ripen. I believe its about 100 to 150 days from flowering. And I know they ripen faster in warmer weather. But, it would be interesting to know what varieties have the shortest times and which take longest. I don't think this has been covered in another thread, and I ask because I'm going out of town from late May to July. I want to know what mangoes might ripen before I leave and which I might have when I get back. Because I'm in 9b, the cold fronts get all my mangoes to flower approximately the same time. So most have about pea size or a little bigger mangoes on them. Just curious if anyone has some ideas...

Curious about these cv's in particular: Edward, Rosigold, Angie, LZ, Sweet tart, Mallika, Bailey's marvel, Keitt, Pickering, NDM, Graham, Fruit punch, PPK, Carrie

But would be interesting to know longest and shortest. I suspect really big mangoes take the longest - Keitt, Harvest moon, lancetilla etc. Do small ones like sweet tart or choc anon, or bombay ripen sooner? Thanks!
Erik

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Length of ripening for different mango varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
I suppose this might be a little too technical and perhaps only commercial growers would or should know the exact ripening times, but I think this thread might be important for all you California growers of mango. What do you think, Simon_grow? and JF and others?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
I dont have an answer for you but I would be happy to stop by and check on your mangos to see if any of them are ready while you are gon  ;D

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Haha, too funny Mango mongo!

Brev grower,

I’ve never taken into account exactly how long it takes for Mangos to ripen but I’m sure the amount of total sun and heat units will have a big effect. Because of the cold weather we have here in SoCal, my trees seem to ripen Fruit very slowly. The early vs late Fruit of any given variety can span up to two months or even more as in the case of my Maha Chanok.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
You can find expected ripening times-seasons for most of those mangoes via their Wikipedia entries that Squam put up and also via the Pine Island Nursery mango viewer>>>>>>   http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/index.shtml

Adjust a bit for your zone

Keitt will be there for you. Probably some sweet tart and maybe NDM.        Carrie doubtful.       And one bird pecked Pickering
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:44:30 PM by zands »

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Besides length of ripening  I think another additional factor to be taken into account is how long a mango stays ripe on your table without
getting rotten ! Compared to the local brazilian varieties found in north east Brazil ( Espada  and Rosa)  the  Haden variety brought in from Florida stays ripe for a longer time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk