Author Topic: How to Root Sugar Cane Cuttings?  (Read 18818 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Sugar cane planting, vertical or horizontal?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Just got a "Purple Asian" sweet sugar cane section. Instructions say to bury it half deep for at least 2 weeks in a pot, then after about a month, transplant it to the ground.
Thanks,

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar cane planting, vertical or horizontal?
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »
Horizontal is how it's done
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How to Root Sugar Cane Cuttings?
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:35 AM »
Both vertical and horizontal planting work to root sugar cane. Sugar cane is one of the easiest plants to start from cuttings. Horizontal planting is just more fool proof. Biggest danger is of cane drying out, so if you use horizontal method drying out is less likely.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
Here's some sugar cane var. that are commonly grown here!

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Mr Silva they pretty good even if a bit slim.Some of the village sugars are very thick and the best for juicing and cooking.Jet black and red village sugars are pretty imposing.My duruka grew as thick as some commercial sugars this season.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
Mr Silva they pretty good even if a bit slim.Some of the village sugars are very thick and the best for juicing and cooking.Jet black and red village sugars are pretty imposing.My duruka grew as thick as some commercial sugars this season.

These varieties are used for juicing and there is a purple var. that is used for making molasses and rum. They are slim...but, very sweet!

A neighbour of my has a yellow green var. which can grow to 2.5-3m or more and it's as thick as bamboo. very crunchy and super sweet!

I got the Purple var. and it's growing like a weed...next year I will harvest my first sugar canes ;) ;) ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 06:56:20 AM »
I planted giant black sugar and a standard village green in my vegie patch.They went crazy and it took a half day hackathon to reclaim the patch after they volunteered for mulch patrol.The black type got a feather over 4m (nearly 13 feet).Sugar cane has now been banished from my my place.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
I planted giant black sugar and a standard village green in my vegie patch.They went crazy and it took a half day hackathon to reclaim the patch after they volunteered for mulch patrol.The black type got a feather over 4m (nearly 13 feet).Sugar cane has now been banished from my my place.

I believe you...when they start to grow, they really take over ;D ;D ;D! they also really much appreciate a good dose of NPK+micro nutr. and a good amount of water! :)

Never heard of the Village Green and Giant Black sugar cane varieties...will do some research! ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:25:03 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
There is sugar cane growing wild here all over the place. (I forgot to add that to my list of wild crops.) Hawaii was for a very long time main sugar grower of USA. The sugar companies all closed down about a decade or more ago. (I still remember the old C&H Sugar advertisements played endlessly on TV.) After 25 years of federal government subsidies the government finally realized they will never be able to compete with foreign produced sugar.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »
Sugar is wall to wall here.I could drive 1200 miles before I get to the end of it on the coastal strip.The best village sugars come from the solomon islands,NG and even SE Asia.I planted duruka (pit pit) or fiji asparagus and it grew as big as normal sugar cane so I hacked it out as well.