Author Topic: La Habra yard  (Read 34427 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: La Habra yard
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
..... well JF. might be July we'll know in a few weeks and
how everything survives the predicted 120 on Monday....

Gary

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2016, 02:07:34 AM »
according to this post, cambodian mango is better than pakistani. Has anyone ever tried it before?

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/%E2%80%98chinese-glass%E2%80%99-variety-clearly-tastiest-mangoes-around-phnom-penh

Stan

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »

Gary

Should be fine. Israel has Mango groves in the dead sea. The Coachella Valley investors know every year they are going to get a blast of furnace...doesn't hurt the trees.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »

Gary

Should be fine. Israel has Mango groves near the dead sea. The Coachella Valley investors know every year they are going to get a blast of furnace...doesn't hurt the trees.

Stanly, no they won't be just fine. Gary has posted thru the years during his heatwaves ......do a forum search.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
Gary, can you put up temporary shade cloth over all the mango trees? My trees get burned above ~102F. We should all try to prep our trees for this heatwave by making sure they are watered in really well before the heatwave comes. If you water too much during the heatwave, some fruit may crack.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
Gary, can you put up temporary shade cloth over all the mango trees? My trees get burned above ~102F. We should all try to prep our trees for this heatwave by making sure they are watered in really well before the heatwave comes. If you water too much during the heatwave, some fruit may crack.

Simon

Simon is absolutely right. Low 100's new growth will fry and keep mangos moist around around drip line . Another no, no is to plant mangos. I had a madden Francis died during a 117f heatwave  sept 2010

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
Gary, hope all your plants pull through. I'm preparing as well but it's only going to be around 100 in my area. Today's still good at 85 high.

I give advice to people who ask for it or ideas. What do you do? "It wont grow!"..waaaaa.  "Unless its in Anaheimbra". Good for you. In z9's and low 10a's is what I'm used to.
Let me remind...soucal ain't Sinaloa or Honolulu. Its just 20% milder then the bay area. Maybe less. The bay area is a hell of a lot more soucal like then soucal is Hawaii to Tropical name your country.
I agree geographically. I stopped calling it norcal after realizing there's more than 50% of California to the north of it. Do people in the SF bay area say they're from norcal or just bay area? Anyway I welcome you if you want to be part of socal.

Stan

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
ha! Thanks Fy. I thought 10a California was enough to join the club! I guess all them Breadfruit tree's and waving coconut palms near Disneyland caused me to get a bit miffed at being talked down to.
Must be where I'm from.

Also- not just closer in miles,but in climate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:16:49 PM by Stan »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
Simon is spot on - I have covered with shade cloth maybe parts of 7-8 trees as a precaution

I've got some mangoes next to walls  or exposed in some other ways which can be
quite debilitating at these temps, but no,  in general, a few days of 115 - 120 probably wouldn't kill
a tree that's at least say 3 years old....a branch possibly but only those fully exposed to the sun.I have a bunch of new
growth that I want to try and save on some trees so I took the effort to cover them.  It is getting
difficult as they get taller so those bigger trees are on their own and actually  seem to be get through it fine.

The biggest problem I have (and I wonder if Debra Wong with her mango trees down in the East Valley has them)
is fruit scald/burn from sun-exposed fruit.  I can't imagine she doesn't bag them or something so they are
protected because she def. couldn't sell them at any farmer's market.  It usually causes early fruit drop
that what would otherwise be a promisingly great mango down the road, but even if it makes it to full ripeness
it carries a very damaged top usually around the stem.  I should email and ask her.....

And I will confess, I do baby my trees (children) perhaps more than most growers

:P

Gary

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:09 AM »
Congrats, guys.... You pulled me out of retirement!!!!
Tim

PrimeDinner

• Los Angeles County Zone 10B Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
Hey JF,

Can we get an update on your mom's back yard? We would love to see what the jungle looks like after three and a half years of hard work.

Dinner Out.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Hey JF,

Can we get an update on your mom's back yard? We would love to see what the jungle looks like after three and a half years of hard work.

JF, actually uploaded in the 2017 socal mango tasting.

Here is the link reply #18

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25557.0

PrimeDinner

• Los Angeles County Zone 10B Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
Hey JF,

JF, actually uploaded in the 2017 socal mango tasting.

Here is the link reply #18

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25557.0

Thank you gozp.
Dinner Out.