Author Topic: Protecting fruit  (Read 2284 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Protecting fruit
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:26:16 PM »
Does those nylon bags really protect your fruit. I have had my tiny citrus fruit eaten off of my trees before so next year I want to protect. I know that I have had problems with field mice eating fruits and vegetables. I had placed bird netting around my raised bed about 4 years ago and the snakes were getting caught in it when trying to catch the mice. I try my best not to kill the none poisonous snakes, they are beneficial and it's illegal to kill non-poisonous snakes in Georgia.
 https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/fact-sheets/SnakesOfGeorgiaOCS09.pdf
Please tell me what you use to protect fruit.
My name is Cindy

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Here its illegal to kill even the field mice.They became endangered because the use of pesticides in the past and ive met a peasant that got criminal record because he was digging field mice nests and took their winter supplyes of seeds to fed his cattles.
Maybe try 2 CD or DVD s on a stick.Mice think those are owl eyes and ged skared.Didnt tested myself this but i plan on doing it.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
Holy moly. Here i. Snake country I have never had a problem. No rats either. I make my own net bags. I use metal screen wire. Never had a problem with even birds.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
Here its illegal to kill even the field mice.They became endangered because the use of pesticides in the past and ive met a peasant that got criminal record because he w
In Romania? Are you kidding?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
Here its illegal to kill even the field mice.They became endangered because the use of pesticides in the past and ive met a peasant that got criminal record because he w
Im not kidding,they guy digged field mice nests,got 2 bags of rice and was caught by gendarmerie.Got criminal record ,probably 1 year jail but didnt go to jail until he is caught again and gets another criminal record.
Foxes,eagles etc need mice to pray on them.If you kill all the mice then you make their predators extinct also.The field where he dig and got the rice its near a natural reservation.
Dont feel sorry for the guy because its not poore.If he had stolen a bag or 2 like just a few kilos of rice,the gendarmerie wouldnt take him.But the guy had 2 bags of aproximately 60 kilos each and was carying then with his carriage pulled by the horse.
There is also an earth dam at the edge of the natural reserve and when the ground squirrels wich are also protected animals nation wide,drill too manny holes in the dam and also the danube gets verry high,portions of the dam colapses because of too manny holes and floods the village where the guy with criminal record lives.
Here is romanian wikipedia entry for the ground squirrels.You can see they are vulnerable almost endangered specie by IUCN. https://ro.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop%C3%A2nd%C4%83u_european
And here is english wikipedia about the field mice that the guy stole their winter food reserve.It says în manny western european countryes is critically endangered.Same here.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hamster
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:38:36 PM by SeaWalnut »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:34:04 PM »
Im not kidding,they guy digged field mice nests,got 2 bags of rice and was caught by gendarmerie.Got criminal record ,probably 1 year jail but didnt go to jail until he is caught again and gets another criminal record.
Foxes,eagles etc need mice to pray on them.If you kill all the mice then you make their predators extinct also.The field where he dig and got the rice its near a natural reservation.
Dont feel sorry for the guy because its not poore.If he had stolen a bag or 2 like just a few kilos of rice,the gendarmerie wouldnt take him.But the guy had 2 bags of aproximately 60 kilos each and was carying then with his carriage pulled by the horse.
There is also an earth dam at the edge of the natural reserve and when the ground squirrels wich are also protected animals nation wide,drill too manny holes in the dam and also the danube gets verry high,portions of the dam colapses because of too manny holes and floods the village where the guy with criminal record lives.
Here is romanian wikipedia entry for the ground squirrels.You can see they are vulnerable almost endangered specie by IUCN. https://ro.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop%C3%A2nd%C4%83u_european
And here is english wikipedia about the field mice that the guy stole their winter food reserve.It says în manny western european countryes is critically endangered.Same here.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hamster

So was it your rice?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »

So was it your rice?
[/quote]
It wasnt my rice.Those rice fields are on the Danube river where i go fishing.
The guy that got criminal record for digging field mice burrows was a well known poacher.After 3 days at fishing without a catch ,a friend fisherman that knew the poacher , said to visit the poacher at home to buy somme somme fish.
Then the poacher told him that he is affraid of catching fish with nets because they caught him with the rice and he got criminal record .He got inside his house and came with somme envelopes and papers to proove it.In case he is caught fishing illegally with the nets ,he will go to jail for sure and for both things,for the ŕice and for poaching fish added.
   BTW,i dont agree to buy fish from poachers like my friend does but i was only a guest in that fishing trip and couldnt complain.The friend that took me at fishing is a poacher himself.I caught him once with a monofilament net attachdd at the end of his fishing line instead of hooks.I am an enviromentalist by proffesion and i respect  the nature.At the end of each fishing trip on the Danube i clean the banks of garbage 2 km long( a mile) .I make a fire and for a few hours i colect as much plastic bags and bottles i can and burn them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:19:38 AM by SeaWalnut »

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
Holy moly. Here i. Snake country I have never had a problem. No rats either. I make my own net bags. I use metal screen wire. Never had a problem with even birds.
Bomand can you show one and tell how you made them?
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:33:10 AM »
I can. I take screen wire and roll it into a tube the size you want. Use nylon string and "sew" up the ends and side. Cut the tube you have made into the length you want
 Now place it over the fruit or blolm you want to cover. Using a zip tie tighten it around the branch. They make a fiberglass screen that is a lot easier to work with. I will take a pic and post asap.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 08:44:05 AM »
I use Organza bags on my fig fruits. Do not use it on my citrus because the pests and critters leave them alone.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »
SeaWalnut, your mice has nothing to do with mice. We call them suslik (souslik in french). They are very protected.
They are very nice animals. I love them.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
SeaWalnut, your mice has nothing to do with mice. We call them suslik (souslik in french). They are very protected.
They are very nice animals. I love them.
If you read the wikipedia link,it says that France got amended somme 27 or 28 mil dollars for not protecting those mice.Here we call them ,,harciog,, but the scientific name is better  ;D.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
I was not speaking of hamsters but of susliks. There are two species in Europe Spermophilus citellus and Spermophilus suslicus (from suslik).
I used to breed susliks a long time ago. They are very cute animals.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
I was not speaking of hamsters but of susliks. There are two species in Europe Spermophilus citellus and Spermophilus suslicus (from suslik).
I used to breed susliks a long time ago. They are very cute animals.
Im glad they are protected.I mentioned 2 species,the hamsters ( also known as the field mice) that the guy stole their food and got criminal record ( probably a year in jail ) and the suslik ( also known as ground squirrel) that are also protected and dig holes in the earth dam wich causes the Danube to flood somme villages.