Author Topic: My first taste of Dr. White cherimoya  (Read 7453 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: My first taste of Dr. White cherimoya
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:22 AM »

I’ve been having issues with too many seeds in my Cherimoyas due to hand pollination.

Simon

Simon, is the manner one hand pollinate the cherimoya flowers will determined the number of seeds produce in the fruit? Then, I take it that the more one do the pollinating, the more seeds generated?
I thought the cherimoya seed count is predetermined by it's variety exclusively.
Well, this last fruit has 45 seeds, compared to only 25 on the first one (about half the weight).

I guess when the trees are maturing, - hence produces more flowers - , we can afford to just do this one touch only manual pollination, to help ensure we will be getting minimal seed count  while risking the change of this pollination not successfully done. So, it's kind of guessing game where experience matters?

Still learning...
Sam
Sam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »
Hey Sam, the more pollen a flower gets, themore seeds and the larger the fruit gets to a certain extent. Each flower will have a maximum number of seeds it can reach but the better the flower is pollinated, the closer it will get to reaching that maximum. The better pollinated flowers are usually better shaped but they can get very seedy. I only pollinated each flower once but perhaps I have too much pollen in my collection container or maybe I need to lay off the little twist I give my brush when I pollinate each flower.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
This may help some folk's who hand pollinate it used to stick brush will pollen in flower and twirl but not any more,just one stick straight in flower seems to keep seed count down. I learned this from Alex @ Papaya Tree Nursery on one of his video's. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk