Author Topic: Which syzygium species has the best flavor?  (Read 1967 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Which syzygium species has the best flavor?
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
I haven't tried many syzygium species, but the ones I have (Otaheite Apple, water apple, wax jambu) tasted have all been quite bland.  I don't mind refreshing if that also means it has some sweetness, and many of them seem to be quite ornamental.  Are there any that you consider "must-haves"?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Which syzygium species has the best flavor?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
I haven't tried many syzygium species, but the ones I have (Otaheite Apple, water apple, wax jambu) tasted have all been quite bland.  I don't mind refreshing if that also means it has some sweetness, and many of them seem to be quite ornamental.  Are there any that you consider "must-haves"?

There are some very good Malay Apples and I have had a couple Wax Jambu that were also very good.  Are any of them "must haves"....with limited land I would say no.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
so, these very good malay apples, are they propagated?  Seems like we are lacking in selected varieties.  Do you know of any trees that produce fruit that are very good?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
As far as flavor Rose Apple had the most intense flavor in that group.  Still a minor fruit though.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Clove has the most flavor of the Syzgium I have tried.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »
As far as flavor Rose Apple had the most intense flavor in that group.  Still a minor fruit though.

Funny you say that,  I like rose apples....agreed on the minor fruit aspect though
~Jeff

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
I had some really intensley flavored rose apples this summer.  I could eat a few everyday if I had them available.  Wax Jambu wasn't that flavorful.  Never had Clove.  Others have been sweet with some astringent, but I wouldn't say much flavor.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »
I've had plenty of very sweet wax jambu; one cultivar tends to taste like honey and another is similar to green apple. You need a good variety, it must be fully ripe which means almost ready to drop off, and I've been told reducing the irrigation somewhat results in sweeter fruits. But full ripeness is key; for example the red varieties turn pink/red about a month before they're actually fully ripe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk