Author Topic: Soursop 10 Months in Ground  (Read 3188 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Soursop 10 Months in Ground
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Soursop 10 Months in Ground
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »
Wow, I thought mine were doing well. What are you doing and feeding them?  That’s impressive growth, you might get fruit after one year. 

I’ve just been using citrus 6-4-6 with minors.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »
mixed lots of compost and organic fertilizer in with the soil before planting. They have been fed fish fertilizer in their water and also the past 2 months I have began foliar feeding with the fish and liquid kelp as well as small amount of monopotassium. One outta three trees did flower and set one fruit about 2 weeks back. this is our first time growing soursop and we ourselves  have been impressed with growth rate.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Congratulations on great growth Soursop is a favorite of mine and they are very tough trees if given good care. They love a windbreak or warmer microclimate. I've been working on pruning and shaping them into a more spreading than erect form. I'd enjoy sharing and am nearby so I sent a PM. Cheers.

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »
Wow Amazing growth, always a sign of good care. was it a grated tree or from seeds?
Yohann

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »
Wow Amazing growth, always a sign of good care. was it a grated tree or from seeds?

Seedling from pine island nursery in Miami, quality of fruit is yet to be known to us.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
That’s amazing growth for 10 months. I finally put mine down on Xmas day. Hopefully it’ll survive and thrive like yours.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 06:20:32 AM »
Im actually just seeing first fruits now on these trees, last year they flowered Profusely but no fruitset, this year earlier in summer they flowered during warm spell and 2 trees set first fruits on their own. They were tipped but have continued their vertical climb, trunk diameter steadily increasing.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 06:30:27 AM »
Seedling from pine island nursery in Miami, quality of fruit is yet to be known to us.
That is good to hear I planted 20 of those from there 1-1/2 months ago let us know how the fruit turns out.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 11:23:24 PM »
Your trees look beautiful.  I love soursop.  Everybody in SE and SW Florida should have a tree.
John

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »
Interesting to me to see that Soursop flowers in Fall but fruit development did not occur until the early spring, I thought most were duds, out of 17 developing sops on tree #1 I have found only one sop with bacterial spotting, I was alerted by a black beetle attempting to burrow into damaged area, I did see some small fly larvae in wound also, I’ve read online that bacteria/fungi develop on rotting twigs, or leaves then drip onto fruit, removal of dead debris advisable and  may  be of value to have an open spreading canopy with lots of airflow

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »
Did your immature trees get aphids (or some sort of sucking insects) on new growth?  Both of mine did, but grew out of that phase after one season.  I just want people to know it's only temporary so they don't have to worry and start spraying with insecticides.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:13:22 PM by johnb51 »
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:47 PM »
Mine had a good flush of new growth the past few weeks but have now had some sucking thrips or mites working on those new leaves.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »
mixed lots of compost and organic fertilizer in with the soil before planting. They have been fed fish fertilizer in their water and also the past 2 months I have began foliar feeding with the fish and liquid kelp as well as small amount of monopotassium. One outta three trees did flower and set one fruit about 2 weeks back. this is our first time growing soursop and we ourselves  have been impressed with growth rate.

Hey mate question for you, when you dug out the hole for this tree you added compost and organic fertilizer into the hole before planting? I have been thinking about doing this with my trees but I worry about creating a kinda well where the water will just sit in the good soil above the clay below and not drain? Im guessing you dont have clay soil?

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »

Hey mate question for you, when you dug out the hole for this tree you added compost and organic fertilizer into the hole before planting? I have been thinking about doing this with my trees but I worry about creating a kinda well where the water will just sit in the good soil above the clay below and not drain? Im guessing you dont have clay soil?

Mostly Sandy loam here, the native soil in this area is beautiful, perfect for amending.