Author Topic: First fruit from Tim Thompson's Pineapple Mango  (Read 1482 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
First fruit from Tim Thompson's Pineapple Mango
« on: October 08, 2019, 02:25:21 PM »
Had it a few days ago. Nice mango. Strong Coconut flavor (but i've read in another thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.175that Pickering loses its pineapple if left on the tree). Some fiber around the seed. Originally had about 20 fruits in this first crop, but none of the rest grew larger than a golf ball. This one was tucked away under the leaves and reached an almost normal size.

Also, the tree is now flushing like crazy. Only really healthy mango tree i have out of half a dozen florida trees and dozens of seedlings i've planted.
Shane

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: First fruit from Tim Thompson's Pineapple Mango
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the report Shane! I’ve never tried that variety before but Coconut sounds good. It’s interesting that it’s the only tree growing well for you. I wonder what rootstock was used? You should try to plant the seed if it’s viable.

Also, with this one tree that’s growing well for you, you can topwork several other varieties onto it so you can have more variety.

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
I'm about 4 fruits in this season and they're pretty much the same as last year. Bit of fiber around the seed. The rest of the flesh isn't completely smooth, its kind of grainy. Nice flavor. Coconut or Pina Colada, but not strong on the pineapple.

The rootstock appears to be called 'Camarillo' and I think its the air-layering stock he discovered while selecting his mangos. A failed graft. Parallels with the Hass avocado.

I do have seeds now and i guess I'll plant them.

And i have started to top work. Sweet Tart so far.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:54:59 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Seeds germinated. Poly embryonic.  How does one breed poly mangoes?  Pollinate a mono with a poly?
Shane

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:01:02 PM »
The poly gene is dominant.
The fruit produced by the seedling of a mono pollinated by a poly will have a 50% chance of being poly.
The fruit produced by the seedling of a poly pollinated by a poly will have a 75% chance of being poly.
The fruit produced by the seedling of a mono pollinated by a mono will have a 0% chance of being poly.

From a distance the fruit you were holding appeared to have some jelly seed. Fixable with gypsum.