Author Topic: In the market for mangoes  (Read 2048 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
In the market for mangoes
« on: February 19, 2021, 04:33:52 AM »
After the mango gluttony of November and early December I decides to look at the market today for mangoes as it is the twilight of the season. I want good mangoes at a good price. Let me say I saw some examples of highway robbery and sometimes the banditos are on the other side of the counter.

Keitts were the equivalent of 49c/lb US but I need to bag something better.

The seasoned mango enthusiast might say pearls are only fit before swine but that is a good price being under $1 US/lb.

Here we have a classic example over-priced fruit at its finest.

Now we are getting somewhere. If I am going to be stung to the tune of $2.30 US/lb they had better be decent which is what Maha Chanok and sam ru du are. I purchased some of these.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: In the market for mangoes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:46:15 AM »

While on the subject of being ripped off you have to go a long way to get worse durians for a higher price that this. That is like $7US/lb.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 01:16:38 PM »
Thanks for doing the conversions, much more relatable. Never heard of a Brook mango, but they don't look very appealing from the outside. Were they maybe picked too early?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
Rusty’s mike ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 08:53:51 PM »
Yes Rusty's on Friday.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:41:08 PM »

Another fine example of highway robbery at a time when Keitts and big ones are entering their 5th month in the market and anchored on 49c;lb US.

Mammoths are cheap are rollinia are also quite cheap and available. Check out the sputnik rollinia.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 07:34:03 AM »
Thanks for doing the conversions, much more relatable. Never heard of a Brook mango, but they don't look very appealing from the outside. Were they maybe picked too early?
Brooks is an old Florida variety, parent of Kent and "probably" Keitt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_(mango)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »

I love seeing the pictures of produce items being sold around the world. Any additional long shots across the supermarket inside or outside would be great too. It's fun seeing your country. Thank you very much.

The hazy images of people checking out locals really gives us a feel of the location and it makes me and others I'm sure want to visit except for the trip costs, time, etc. etc.

I hope others around the world take a few pictures of local locations of produce in their countries to give us an additional incentive to want to make the visit to the locations hopefully in the near future...

Thank you very very much Mike as your posts are always informative and/or entertaining.  :)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
If you go to Brazil in the summer, you can have sweet fruits for a fraction of the cost compared to USD.
So many tropical fruits and tastes amazing.

The street markets are the best.

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing Mike, thats a real bread basket that area, good to see newer mango varieties..

I supervised a mango harvest on a very large commercial mango farm over there a few years ago. It was the trademarked Calypso mango ( kensington pride x sensation). Those were a great tasting mango off the tree. weate tons that were too ripe for the packing houses. But they were picking them 'ripe green' and sending them to the local supermarkets. I went to Coles to buy the same mango and it wasnt nearly the same. I felt bad forthe consumer in the grocery stores.

Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 01:50:24 AM »
Great info Luke and Calypso unfortunately doesnt make the grade and cant compete. Its firmness, appearance and shelf life are great but what ends up in the super markets doesnt pass muster. You are the rarest of mango aficionados and may be able to answer some questions that have baffled others. If you have been to mango heartland in north queensland and sampled the wares you would have been overwhelmed by the dominance of bowen/kensington pride. Did you try many and what was you opinion of their quality? Are the floridian champs like orange sherbert and lemon zest better? The american mango palate seems to be tuned differently from that of Australians and Asians for that matter.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 04:42:31 AM »
Here re a few random market pictures from this morning. Not super duper exciting.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
Here re a few random market pictures from this morning. Not super duper exciting.

Thanks again,
I love the market pictures. What a good mix of fruit and seeing locals shopping once again makes me feel like I'm there.

I am not a physician but do enjoy reading and here's a brief 5 minute read on imagination and the brain.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21625010/

Back in the BC era, well not that far but definitely before desktop computers, I took an organic chemistry class and the instructor announced anyone wishing to purchase models to help rotate the orientation of the Carbon/Hydrogen/Nitrogen/etc. chained compounds as the orientation on the exam might be totally different than what he showed us in class; meet in room 303 after class.

I went and asked now why are about 80% of the class buying these toy stick models and will I be at a disadvantage if I do not purchase them. Many students replied, "So we can see what it looks like from the other side."  I said can't you just rotate it in your mind... Noooo...  Well, no more questions..... And I did not buy nor need the models. lol... You never know till you ask as no one knows what another perceives nor can perceive unless you ask them.

Another experience as a 19yr old on a hot date for fun to me but definitely not to her. She started mentioning love and marriage to my surprise... I immediately imagined myself in the air looking down on this situation as unfortunately sorrow and tears came to the girl as I said no I want to go to college... It was definitely an out of body experience in my mind... and unfortunately my reaction was not sincere but more of unbelief to minor amused UNFORTUNATELY as she noticed the sly smile...... The mind can be quite funny and amusing in fantasizing sometimes, regardless of the reality.       I wish I could have changed that situation even today... But, oh well the girl found another guy and is long ago married as desired. It's probably 99% probability that she would not remember it today anyway (I know because I went back to apologize & saw her working 2 years ago (she was about 50lbs larger) and she did not recognize me and mentioned guesses of many other guys without remembering even my name until I informed her... lol). And I probably would not either except for it being burned into my mind.   ... Watered a few trees suffering and now bored & daydreaming of the past...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:31:11 PM by palmcity »

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
Great info Luke and Calypso unfortunately doesnt make the grade and cant compete. Its firmness, appearance and shelf life are great but what ends up in the super markets doesnt pass muster. You are the rarest of mango aficionados and may be able to answer some questions that have baffled others. If you have been to mango heartland in north queensland and sampled the wares you would have been overwhelmed by the dominance of bowen/kensington pride. Did you try many and what was you opinion of their quality? Are the floridian champs like orange sherbert and lemon zest better? The american mango palate seems to be tuned differently from that of Australians and Asians for that matter.

The bowen was underwhelming in my opinion. Seems to be lots of national pride for the mango in northern queensland. One property I stayed on was an old Bowen mango orchard and the cattle would eat them.

I grow about 100 varities and bowen/ kensington pride  is not in my collection. The Calypso was so good ripe from the tree it reminded me of the florida mangos.  So much so I sourced and found Sensation.  Its a very old florida mango that fell out of favor here but is very large with purple blush.  It was used in the breeding of the calypso. 

Lemon zest is an amazing tasting mango. Im hoping for a good orange sherbert this year from my tree. i had one a few years ago but it was overripe.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »
There was a good looking bird watching me this morning and laughing for no reason. Being a good global citizen I decided to assist farmers with the avocado glut by engaging in some heavy consumption. There are too many avocadoes and not enough mouths. I paid the princely sum of aust $2 (US$1.52) for 8 avocadoes and thought I had done alright until I walked around the corner. No wonder the bird was laughing at me.